Xbox One DLNA Media Player Preview

schmitty

schmitty

Hi,

I am enrolled in the Xbox One Preview Program, and have access to the Media Player - Preview app. The app now supports DLNA, but when I open it, it can't find the Media Browser DLNA server. Is there something I have to set up in Media Browser Server for the app to be able to see the server?

7illusions

What I've read you will have to enable the "Blast Alive Messages" feature in the server in order for XB1 to detect it.

I've just got my invite for the preview, thanks to @@jhoff80, and I will start testing the DLNA features properly during the weekend so this is just what other people has reported

A couple times I've also had to fully shutdown my console and do a full reboot to get the MediaBrowser DLNA server to show up.  I'm not entirely certain, but I think that it might have to do with the Xbox One having the app in the background when performing other tasks or when in standby.  I know I've been seeing a lot of messages like this in my logs, though I'm not sure if it's related or not:

2014-09-11 00:30:25.0823 Error - Dlna: Error updating device info for BEDROOMONE
	The operation has timed out
	MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException
	   at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.HttpClientManager.HttpClientManager.<SendAsync>d__7.MoveNext()
	--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
	   at MediaBrowser.Dlna.PlayTo.SsdpHttpClient.<SendCommandAsync>d__0.MoveNext()
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
	   at MediaBrowser.Dlna.PlayTo.Device.<GetTransportInfo>d__84.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Dlna.PlayTo.Device.<TimerCallback>d__51.MoveNext()
	InnerException: System.Net.WebException
	The operation has timed out
	   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
	   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1.FromAsyncCoreLogic(IAsyncResult iar, Func`2 endFunction, Action`1 endAction, Task`1 promise, Boolean requiresSynchronization)
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
	   at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.HttpClientManager.HttpClientManager.<SendAsync>d__7.MoveNext()

A couple times I've also had to fully shutdown my console and do a full reboot to get the MediaBrowser DLNA server to show up.  I'm not entirely certain, but I think that it might have to do with the Xbox One having the app in the background when performing other tasks or when in standby.  I know I've been seeing a lot of messages like this in my logs, though I'm not sure if it's related or not:

Occasionally I have had to fully reboot the XBOX ONE to get the media player preview to work correctly, I'd say its just because its still in beta.

My issue now is that i cannot fast forward or rewind MKV's. Other users are able to using different DLNA servers, but doesnt work with MB3. Is there a way to change the DLNA profile to get this working?

• 3 weeks later...
jhoff80

Not sure if it's a Media Player Preview update, or a MB3 Server update that caused this issue, but I tried watching TV today, and instead of playing the episode I selected (episode 5), it played episode 1.  This happened no matter which episode I selected to play.

• 2 weeks later...

can someone put together a video and about 6-10 screenshots? it would be a great blog post. thanks.

jhoff80

Wouldn't the video in this thread be a good example?

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/10701-media-browser-and-xbox-one-media-player-preview/

There's been nothing changed in the interface since that.  I'm still hitting that bug mentioned in another thread where it's playing episode 1 of a season no matter which I select, so I'd probably be the wrong person for a demo. :D

Occasionally I have had to fully reboot the XBOX ONE to get the media player preview to work correctly, I'd say its just because its still in beta.

My issue now is that i cannot fast forward or rewind MKV's. Other users are able to using different DLNA servers, but doesnt work with MB3. Is there a way to change the DLNA profile to get this working?

I don't see transport controls either.   I noticed that some part of the file was transcoding on the PC so that may be why you don't see FF or RW. 

Files I was trying to play were my BR rips with video and lossless audio only. DTSMA, TrueHD or Flac.  Some lower bitrate ones worked ok but most were pausing every 13 or so seconds and if I selected them directly, vs selecting the first movie and then going 'next' to them, they would fail at a buffer spot and go back to the first movie. 

Even if playback starts to work, it isn't usable w/o better navigation controls as I don't see a way to navigate movies without going screen by screen by screen.    

I play all my server-based stuff from a HTPC so this is more a curiosity than a concern.    Would love to see Media Browser be allowed to have a Xbox One app but amazingly few apps seem to be allowed.

What I've read you will have to enable the "Blast Alive Messages" feature in the server in order for XB1 to detect it.

I've just got my invite for the preview, thanks to @@jhoff80, and I will start testing the DLNA features properly during the weekend so this is just what other people has reported

Yes.   It doesn't show up for me immediately like all my PC's and Sonos devices do but it does show up within 30 seconds I'm assuming this is the 'blast' doing its thing.

trooper11

I have run into an issue that I can't seem to find a work around.

I can see my MB server within the media player app, but it only shows two folders: TV and Movies.  I have a few others such as cartoons, anime, etc.  What would prevent the other folders from showing up?

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this.  I tried restarting the MB server and the media player app.  Those folders are correctly visible on my other MB apps.