Regarding the failure of forced subtitles on movies

Joechung

Joechung

Hi, everybody,
How to add other mandatory subtitles under the premise that the movie has built-in default mandatory subtitles?
I tried using {forced/foreign} but nothing worked. As shown in the picture below, I renamed the subtitle suffix to {.forced}, but the movie still defaults to mandatory main subtitles in English.
Is there any other solution?

image.png.ba3ab14e160ba14d3d1a4f12b0ea915d.pngimage.png.5c9e3be3a55265cd8c4f10e4ccddf63f.png

Joechung

Hi Luke I am very glad that you can answer my question. I may not describe it clearly. I'm sorry.
My server is currently in good condition. My question is how to set the specified subtitles as mandatory subtitles. Because I encountered a little problem when setting up forced subtitles, I referred to the description of forced subtitles in the knowledge base (https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159160-subtitles), and tried it according to the official method. No improvement, EMBY still recognizes the English subtitle that comes with the movie as a mandatory main subtitle. That's why I came up to ask you all. I want to know about the setting of forced subtitles. My situation may be special, because the downloaded movie file comes with forced English subtitles by default (this is not the mandatory subtitle I want to specify), so I want to force Chinese subtitles through manual settings Set as the main subtitle of the movie.
Looking forward to your reply.

Edited by Joechung

Joechung

After I set up mandatory Chinese subtitles. EMBY will still recognize the original English subtitles of the movie as mandatory. As shown below:

A.png

Happy2Play

Best guess would be translation for subtitle.

What does this translate to?

image.png.357cd3fdfdafa6b68916a826ee240d16.png

Will have to test more with mixed embedded and external but did not have a issue with set language selection correct sub with en.forced.srt and zh-cn.forced.srt.

image.png.9246e51c361aad65db47d0609c35a0f5.png

image.png.79b7f371e14b934a72e5e9e377206dda.png

Not knowing exact characters I translated Chinese to  these characters (漢語) and English was chosen.  So my theory would be correct.

image.png.488464f9c94e75fdc5c84af1a2e630b1.png

image.png.8be44982868f68f2556531840e0711ef.png

I can test more if you provide exact character per that naming scheme.

@Lukedo subtitles allow the use of foreign language translations or is it specific to ISO 639-1 language code.

@cayarsif auto selection is specific to ISO codes we may need to add that to the KB.

Edited by Happy2Play
corrected zh-cn
  • Like 1

Joechung

Hello, happy, I changed the suffix of the subtitles to "Simplified"
I did this to identify subtitles for myself.
Later, I changed the subtitles to the correct Chinese recognition "zh.forced.srt", but after scanning, EMBY still forced the embedded English subtitles in the first place.
My purpose is to display mandatory Chinese subtitles as soon as EMBY is opened.

image.png

Edited by Joechung

1 hour ago, Joechung said:

After I set up mandatory Chinese subtitles. EMBY will still recognize the original English subtitles of the movie as mandatory. As shown below:

A.png

It's still there because adding a new one does not make the old one go away.

Hello, happy, I changed the suffix of the subtitles to "简体(Simplified)" to better identify the subtitles. This should not matter much.

Actually it matters a lot. It's how the server knows what language the subtitles are and can match that to your emby user subtitle preferences.

So yes, happy2play is correct. It should be an iso language code.

Happy2Play
16 minutes ago, Joechung said:

Hello, happy, I changed the suffix of the subtitles to "简体(Simplified)" to better identify the subtitles. This should not matter much.
I modified the subtitles to the correct Chinese recognition "en.forced.srt", but after scanning, EMBY still recognizes the English subtitles of the movie as mandatory subtitles.
My purpose is to display EMBY as mandatory Chinese subtitles as soon as I open it.

image.png.675504d8a8a41e5642a0949c81e49479.png

So are these English forced subs or Chinese Simplified forced sups?  If the latter you would name them zh-cn.forced to get Emby to automatically select set language.

Also note using zh.forced were selected also when set to Chinese Simplified.

or chi.forced and zho.forced as they are ISO codes.

Edited by Happy2Play

Joechung
12 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

So are these English forced subs or Chinese Simplified forced sups?  If the latter you would name them zh-cn.forced to get Emby to automatically select set language.

The effect I want is the latter, but EMBY only recognizes the former. I cannot change the former because the former is embedded in the movie, and I cannot find the English subtitle file of the former.

Joechung
29 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Also note using zh.forced were selected also when set to Chinese Simplified.

image.png.1714ad05ea158f53097d1d801f0befab.pngimage.png.8fb730f2ab5a833c5976aae6da7717e0.png

Edited by Joechung

Happy2Play

I will have to later with media that has embedded and external forced subtitles.

Joechung
5 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

I will have to later with media that has embedded and external forced subtitles.

OK. I am waiting for your reply.

Happy2Play

@LukeI can reproduce this for a file that has embedded and external forced subs.  Emby chose the embedded English forced subs vs the external Chinese forced sub.

image.png.ee396810c430a436a57562e109b00e86.png

image.png.60b6b1d6fd6257d1b381c732472b32bc.png

image.png

Edited by Happy2Play
added sub settings

Joechung

EMBY can recognize them at the same time, but this is a sequential problem.
If the EMBY embedded subtitles were previously set to "forced", it will cause the subsequent settings of the "forced" subtitles to be sorted later instead of first.

Joechung

EMBY can recognize them at the same time, but this is a sequential problem.
If the EMBY embedded subtitles were previously set to "forced", it will cause the subsequent settings of the "forced" subtitles to be sorted later instead of first.
The effect I want is to make EMBY recognize the "forced" subtitle file set by the latter as the first.

Happy2Play

A temporary fix would be to remove the embedded Forced flag from the media with MKVToolNix.  But dev will have to comment why in this mixed environment Language setting is not honored since external only honors language.  Have not tested multiple internal forced subs.

Depends on your emby user subtitle preferences and whether you've played that video before adding the new subtitles. It could be remembering your previous selection.

First thing though is name the subtitle file with the language code so that the server knows what the language is.

Joechung
4 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

A temporary fix would be to remove the embedded Forced flag from the media with MKVToolNix.  But dev will have to comment why in this mixed environment Language setting is not honored since external only honors language.  Have not tested multiple internal forced subs.

Agree, after actual operation, it is feasible.
But this means that every movie (with built-in forced subtitles) needs to use MKVToolNix to remove the "Forced" of the embedded subtitles. If each movie is a file of 60G or more, the time cost is relatively high to operate through MKVToolNix.

That could be scripted to walk through the path either removing or changing the forced sub.
Get a solution working first then deal with that after.

Joechung
41 minutes ago, cayars said:

That could be scripted to walk through the path either removing or changing the forced sub.
Get a solution working first then deal with that after.

Hi carays is very happy that you can reply, but the solution you mentioned is too difficult for me, because I don't have the basis of programming scripts, so I should not be able to deal with it according to the method you said.

Why are we taking about this? You don't have to remove the old subtitles. Please just start with what I suggested. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Joechung
On 11/12/2021 at 12:33 PM, Happy2Play said:

A temporary fix would be to remove the embedded Forced flag from the media with MKVToolNix

21 hours ago, Luke said:

@Joechung has this helped?

HI Hello Luke, I didn’t find a better way. I currently rely on MKVToolNix, and use MKVToolNix to remove the mandatory label from the movie. This is feasible, but the only thing The disadvantage is that this operation will take more time.