POSTERS (Alpha) - A Web based Dynamic Now Playing Poster App for Emby

chef

CBers
40 minutes ago, chef said:

I'm back!

Yes, the primary images url is certainly indexed, so the answer is,  yeah we should totally do this.

But, they have to be saved as something in the file system. Is it "folder(1).gif"?

I'm unsure.

Need to be called folder.gif I believe.

28 minutes ago, CBers said:

I'm getting text overwritten in the menu.

image.png.187eb614ca70ab2e9e04238914cc17fe.png

Clear browser cache maybe?

I have got video backdrops working. Do you guys want video backdrops on the screen?

Or nah??

Junglejim

Personally the video backdrop is not for me but some people might like it so maybe have it as a option. I just like the poster/logo stuff you have going. I did have one idea, maybe if nothing is currently playing it could fallback to a recommended viewing page (not sure that's the right wording). 🙂

1 minute ago, Junglejim said:

Personally the video backdrop is not for me but some people might like it so maybe have it as a option. I just like the poster/logo stuff you have going. I did have one idea, maybe if nothing is currently playing it could fallback to a recommended viewing page (not sure that's the right wording). 🙂

Yes! I was thinking recently added media would be a good idea.

We just need a title for it. Something similar to what you'd see in a theater, but referring to recently added

... or something like that.

👍

recentlyadded.thumb.png.a8cdace23e157556cd381a6abfc2a818.png

I think we can use 'Coming Soon' for actual trailers if you want. We can mix them into 'Recently Added'

Edited by chef
  • Like 2

I ripped a part an old monitor, and duck tapped a raspi 3 on the back.

I'll post some pictures here soon.

Without the bezel it makes it lighter, and a more slim form factor.

I'm using some of the commands from the Magic mirror project to get it to load the UI in portrait. 

I just have to find an old SD card to load it all up on.

• Like 1

Junglejim
9 hours ago, chef said:

I ripped a part an old monitor, and duck tapped a raspi 3 on the back.

I'll post some pictures here soon.

Without the bezel it makes it lighter, and a more slim form factor.

I'm using some of the commands from the Magic mirror project to get it to load the UI in portrait. 

I just have to find an old SD card to load it all up on.

Sounds good! That's what I had in mind. I was thinking of sourcing a picture frame to house it in (it would need to be fairly thick). If I can't find the right frame I'll have to DIY it.. :)

Looking forward to seeing the pictures of your build. 👍

• Like 1

version 0.18 does some nifty code stuff then loading the images. It is a faster  transition between a now playing items and recently added.

• Thanks 1

Junglejim
16 hours ago, chef said:

version 0.18 does some nifty code stuff then loading the images. It is a faster  transition between a now playing items and recently added.

Looking good mate, 'Recently Added' works a treat! I've now got to find some serious time to build my poster.. :)

I'm sure you've got some more updates in the works. ;)  All the best mate.

Cheers. 🍺

Edit: Not sure if it just my setup.. The Recently Added works great but if I play something (which also works great) and then stop that video, it gets suck on now playing the video I just stopped. I was hopping it would go back to Recently Added. Not a big deal, early days. Maybe its just my setup or how I'm logging in?

Edited by Junglejim

4 hours ago, Junglejim said:

Looking good mate, 'Recently Added' works a treat! I've now got to find some serious time to build my poster.. :)

I'm sure you've got some more updates in the works. ;)  All the best mate.

Cheers. 🍺

Edit: Not sure if it just my setup.. The Recently Added works great but if I play something (which also works great) and then stop that video, it gets suck on now playing the video I just stopped. I was hopping it would go back to Recently Added. Not a big deal, early days. Maybe its just my setup or how I'm logging in?

I'll take a look. There is a persistence timer that watches for the nowplaying item to stop. It is possible that it gets cleared, and then doesn't run again.

Many thanks!

binarygeek119

@chefis there a way to auto login im running it from a docker server (nginx) and it runs find but i want to run the display on a raspi running fullpageos.

its not got a keyboard or mouse. plus i need it to reconnect when its rebooted.

1 hour ago, binarygeek119 said:

@chefis there a way to auto login im running it from a docker server (nginx) and it runs find but i want to run the display on a raspi running fullpageos.

its not got a keyboard or mouse. plus i need it to reconnect when its rebooted.

Yes. 

I'll write it so you can ssh into the raspi, and edit the JavaScript file with nano.

I'll make a couple fields at the top where you can edit username and password.

But, they would be in plain text, does that matter to you.

Edited by chef

@binarygeek119

I've updated the release to 0.19.

In that version, you can add the parameters to the top of the 'main.js' file to auto load and connect.

Again, the passwords are plain text, so I wouldn't suggest having this running overt he internet with the lines filled in LOL!

If you are using raspi. 'cd' into the folder that you are running from, and open the 'scripts/main.js' file in nano.

At the top of the file you'll see these five lines of code.

let userName ="";
let password ="";
let url = "";
let port = "";
let display_client = ""; 

Where the url is the emby server address, and the port number etc.

the 'display_client' is the client 'appName' you want to monitor for playback events.

For example: 'Emby Web' for the web client.

I would love to see some of the poster projects people make. If you make one. It would be awesome.

I have almost finished mine.

binarygeek119

its working great although im running dual poster apps right now i get double of he same poster.

i dont know if you  know about this app Posterr right now is supports plex sonarr radarr readarr and the dev is working on jellyfin maybe you could work together. as its free and open source. 

4 hours ago, binarygeek119 said:

its working great although im running dual poster apps right now i get double of he same poster.

i dont know if you  know about this app Posterr right now is supports plex sonarr radarr readarr and the dev is working on jellyfin maybe you could work together. as its free and open source. 

I'll check it out thanks :)

When you say you get double the poster, can you help me understand what you mean? Then I can fix it :)

EDIT: Oh WOW! posterr is pretty fantastic. It puts mine to shame LOL!

He's running an entire service backend. It is very nice. Thank you for showing me that, it is very cool.

Edited by chef
  • Agree 1

binarygeek119

What I mean is a have two rasp's  both running you app on full pages os. 

Pi 2 has the same poster as displayed on pi 1

Pi 1 = back to the future 

Pi 2 = back to the future 

Then both pi's  change poster

Pi 1 = avatar 

Then pi 2 pulls the same poster = avatar 

Also no problem for showing you👍

I think your app has nice things too. What his needs is more transitions and emby/jellyfin support

Edited by binarygeek119

3 minutes ago, binarygeek119 said:

What I mean is a have two rasp's  both running you app on full pages os. 

Pi 2 has the same poster as displayed on pi 1

Pi 1 = back to the future 

Pi 2 = back to the future 

Then both pi's  change poster

Pi 1 = avatar 

Then pi 2 pulls the same poster = avatar 

Also no problem for showing you👍

I think your app has nice things too. What his needs is more transitions and emby/jellyfin support

Oh, so you would like to see each poster app display different posters from one another.

We can totally do that! It's a great idea! 

I think we'll have to request the data, then we'll have to randomly loop through the collection.

I don't think I've ever written a random loop in code before. This will be an interesting learning experience.

Wonderful! 

Version 0.20

Version 2 will randomly pick recently added items from the library to display. So if you have two poster apps running they will display different images.

However, there is a probable chance that every once in a while the posters will sync up with each other.

I think that in order to handle two poster apps running, and always have a different item for each, they would either have to communicate with each other, or communicate to a backend.

Not impossible. 

I had thought about quickly creating a plugin backend that could keep track of what each client is showing. It would also allow any configuration to be persisted, without having to edit the javascript files, or save login credentials in plain text.

It might be kind of cool to do. 

There is also the ability in emby to have the "NowViewingItem" data display on the poster app as well.

So as you browse the library, the poster app would update along with the session browsing. Not sure if that would be something to pursue or not?

• Thanks 1

Junglejim

@chef Nice update! The plugin sounds interesting and would make config a lot easier. :) Sounds like your having fun with this project. 👍

I had a look at the Posterr project mentioned above and it does look cool but I must admit I like the look of your layout a lot more! Simple, clean and does the job nicely.

Not to sure about your "NowViewingItem" idea.. But others may like it.

I intend to hang it on the wall vertically so now playing and recently added/coming soon is good for me. You could go crazy with extra option though, have fun! ;)👍🍺