How to Adjust Transcoding Threshold when throttling

frankmomma

frankmomma

Is there a way to change the threshold for when to throttle transcoding when throttling is enabled?

By default it looks like this is configured to 120s. I have found the xml where this setting is defined, however after modifying & saving there is no change according to transcoding logs.
FYI, this is not an option from Emby management interface.

Location of xml file: .../Emby-Server/Config/encoding.xml
<ThrottleBufferSize>120</ThrottleBufferSize>

Log Example
ThrottleBySegmentRequest: RequestPosition: 00:01:03 - TranscodingPosition: 00:02:11 - ThrottleBuffer: 69s (Treshold: 120s)

Please let me know if anyone can help determine if this is possible.

Thanks

Hi, you can edit the config file (make sure to restart server), but it's not exposed in the server UI at this time. It's possible for the future. Thanks.

Happy2Play

@frankmomma My understanding is it only applies to "ByStreamBufferSize" not "BySegmentRequest".

I made the change per old topic and it honored the configured value.

>> ThrottleBySegmentRequest: Initialize - TargetBufferSize: 120s

Saved and change xml per linked topic.

>> ThrottleByStreamBufferSize: Initialize - TargetBufferSize: 240s - Hysteresis: 8s

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Thanks 1

frankmomma

Thank you both for the quick responses.

@Luke I tried simply restarting after applying the change but it did not change anything. The xml saved but was not reflected in the logs.

@Happy2Play I read the thread you mentioned & tested myself. This resolved the issue! I am now seeing this in the logs.

xml changed to <ThrottlingMethod>ByStreamBufferSize</ThrottlingMethod> | Default was <ThrottlingMethod>BySegmentRequest</ThrottlingMethod>
ThrottleByStreamBufferSize: PlaybackPosition: 00:00:10 - TranscodingPosition: 00:02:30 - ThrottleBuffer: 140s (Treshold: 300s)

Thank you both!

15 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

My understanding is it only applies to "ByStreamBufferSize" not "BySegmentRequest".

Yes, that's  correct.