Today's idiotic question

nickysilver

nickysilver

Ok... so things are going well setting everything up. Today I subscribed for life and then  I installed the app on my phone (iPhone 12). I entered my emby connect name/password. Shouldn't this then connect me to my nvidia shield server? Instead I get a screen asking me to choose: local server, add server, sign in w emby connect, downloads. I JUST signed in with emby connect. (I'm trying to set this up because tomorrow I go to the hospital for stone surgery. Be nice to watch movies on my phone.)

As always... sorry to be a dolt!

rodainas
32 minutes ago, nickysilver said:

Ok... so things are going well setting everything up. Today I subscribed for life and then  I installed the app on my phone (iPhone 12). I entered my emby connect name/password. Shouldn't this then connect me to my nvidia shield server? Instead I get a screen asking me to choose: local server, add server, sign in w emby connect, downloads. I JUST signed in with emby connect. (I'm trying to set this up because tomorrow I go to the hospital for stone surgery. Be nice to watch movies on my phone.)

As always... sorry to be a dolt!

On Server Settings, Users, Your User.

Did you add the emby connect user or email there?

nickysilver

I must be doing something wrong! (in the knowledge base it says "use the start up wizard." What start up wizard?

I enter my emby connect username (which is, guess what? nickysilver) and my password. It just loops ,e back to the screen offering to let me sign in.

Edited by nickysilver

nickysilver

Ok. signed in on local network, but how do I test that I can sign in remotely. When I try I just get "connection failed."

(As I said, I'm going the hospital tomorrow and don't really wanna start typing in WAN numbers once there.)

rodainas

If you want to sign remotely, you need to check if your ports are forwarded on your router for example, check your ports on emby network settings and check them on your router, the server first needs to be reachable before emby connect can access it.

nickysilver

well.. i used to do this with plex (which i've now happily left).  i looked at the port # on the server page and typed in. got connection failure.

rodainas

Could you post a capture of your server network setting (where local ports are shown you dont need to show your ip) and another of your router’s forwarding rules.

nickysilver

Well... I'm afraid I have absolutely no idea where I'd find my router's forwarding rules (or what they are!)

(I have to do some things for tomorrow now, so I'll be gone for a couple of hours. Don't think I've lost interest  😃 )

Edited by nickysilver

1 hour ago, nickysilver said:

Well... I'm afraid I have absolutely no idea where I'd find my router's forwarding rules (or what they are!)

(I have to do some things for tomorrow now, so I'll be gone for a couple of hours. Don't think I've lost interest  😃 )

Let us know how you get on. Thanks.

nickysilver

Back from hospital and surgery went well. I'm using this recuperating time to try to set up the rest of emby. (While in hospital-- don't pelt me with stones-- I used PLEX to watch movies on my phone as it was already set up. I'm trying make the transition as I fond emby so much faster and feature rich.) I only share this hospital news on this forum because I was asked above. (I'm certainly not shy about it,  ask me anything you like-- but I wouldn't  normally clutter up the forum w/ my personal trials.)

My current goals are to get emby to work on my phone-- to see my server.

And, first, to add a library (Movies Mac) to my Emby server, which is on my Nvidia Shield. Should I share the questions here or go to another subform?

And bare in mind, I'm a mac person, a Luddite and, well, an idiot.

thanks!

N

nickysilver

I've enabled sharing, made sure "shared folder" is checked, and I've entered the following: 

So far... nothing. 

All I get is: The path could not be found. Please ensure the path is valid and try again.

I believe I stated above... I'm an idiot.

Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at  9.21. AMSep 15, 2021.jpg

Edited by nickysilver

nickysilver

I don't seem to be able to get emby to see my laptop no matter what I try, (Also trying to get server backups to be stored on my laptop. Again, I choose network and then no idea what to fill in next. I've tried all kinds of things!)

7 hours ago, nickysilver said:

I've enabled sharing, made sure "shared folder" is checked, and I've entered the following: 

So far... nothing. 

All I get is: The path could not be found. Please ensure the path is valid and try again.

I believe I stated above... I'm an idiot.

Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at  9.21. AMSep 15, 2021.jpg

Hi, well first of all a folder path never ends in a period, and secondly, if you're going to specify that, then it needs to be the full path to the "Movies Mac" folder, and not just the ip address by itself.

Please try correcting that and see if it helps. Thanks.

nickysilver

Well, getting rid of the period was something I understood.

The full path? 

Isn't      /Network/Volume/Macintosh HD/Users/nickysilver/Desktop/MOVIES MAC    the full path? 

(There is a folder on my desktop called "MOVIES MAC"

6 minutes ago, nickysilver said:

Well, getting rid of the period was something I understood.

The full path? 

Isn't      /Network/Volume/Macintosh HD/Users/nickysilver/Desktop/MOVIES MAC    the full path? 

(There is a folder on my desktop called "MOVIES MAC"

Yes it is the full path, but for the optional network path, \\192.168.0.103 is not the full path I presume.