Dune HD Real Vision 4K

Skynet92

8 hours ago, Skynet92 said:

I checked on the exoplayer site and there is indeed HDR10+ compatibility with MKV, but it doesn't work with Emby in the Dune HD.
With the internal video player it works.

Hi.  Exoplayer supports what the underlying device chain does.  If it works on the Shield and not this other box, then I think that is your answer.

Skynet92
5 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Exoplayer supports what the underlying device chain does.  If it works on the Shield and not this other box, then I think that is your answer.

Hi,
no the shield does not support HDR10+ but the Dune HD does.
It works with the internal player but not Emby.

In fact Dune HD + Emby = 4K video does not work well, in 1080p yes no problem.

In photo the Dune HD which displays HDR10+ with the internal player.

IMG_20210909_074509.jpg

That sounds like they are doing something propriety in their own player and not making this available to the device at large.

Can you play HDR10+ media in any other app on that device?

Skynet92
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

That sounds like they are doing something propriety in their own player and not making this available to the device at large.

Can you play HDR10+ media in any other app on that device?

Hi,
no, only internal player

That sounds like it's just supported in that app.  Have you tried confirming with Dune if HDR10+ is supposed to work from any app?
You could ask them for the name of any other app they know of that supports this on their device.

rbjtech

I think ultimately this is the risk you take with unsupported devices.  If features only work inside their own apps - then you cannot realistically expect other apps to modify their own code for it to then work.  There are standards for a reason - if these devices do not conform to those standards - then my personal view is return it and use a supported platform.

Now if 'other' apps work but Emby does not - then that is an entirely different question - then Emby needs to understand why their app does not work when others do.

• Agree 1

Skynet92
5 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

I think ultimately this is the risk you take with unsupported devices.  If features only work inside their own apps - then you cannot realistically expect other apps to modify their own code for it to then work.  There are standards for a reason - if these devices do not conform to those standards - then my personal view is return it and use a supported platform.

Now if 'other' apps work but Emby does not - then that is an entirely different question - then Emby needs to understand why their app does not work when others do.

kodi works well.
Too bad there is no compatibility with HDR10+/Dolby Vision but it works.

A simple 4K video of HDR movie does not work well.

rbjtech
27 minutes ago, Skynet92 said:

ok - so can you expand on what you mean by does not work well ?

In your original post you said '4K REMUX HDR10 = playback lacks fluidity'

Do you mean it stutters?, dropping frames?, or the Refresh Rate is not matching the TV for example ?

4 hours ago, Skynet92 said:

By "simple" do you mean one of those 250Mbs+ files?

Skynet92
5 minutes ago, ebr said:

By "simple" do you mean one of those 250Mbs+ files?

No, a REMUX for exemple with juste HDR10.

to make it super simple all 4K videos with Emby don't work well.

I tested with Kodi and with it it works.

rbjtech
5 hours ago, rbjtech said:

ok - so can you expand on what you mean by does not work well ?

In your original post you said '4K REMUX HDR10 = playback lacks fluidity'

Do you mean it stutters?, dropping frames?, or the Refresh Rate is not matching the TV for example ?

'It doesn't work' is not going to help you - please provide more specific details.  Give a MediaInfo of the file you are using.

Try first with the most basic of files - 5-6Mbyte file, HDR10, AAC Audio etc - if that struggles, then we know it's a compatibility issue rather than a 'performance' issue for example. 

• Agree 1

Skynet92
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

'It doesn't work' is not going to help you - please provide more specific details.  Give a MediaInfo of the file you are using.

Try first with the most basic of files - 5-6Mbyte file, HDR10, AAC Audio etc - if that struggles, then we know it's a compatibility issue rather than a 'performance' issue for example. 

I made 3 videos:

A = 4K Blu-ray Rip / DV P8.1
B = 4K Blu-ray REMUX / DV P7
C = 4K Blu-ray Rip Light / DV P8.1

With the mediainfos files of each video.

A.txt B.txt C.txt

Skynet92
1 minute ago, Luke said:

is it direct playing from the server?

Yes, direct play no transcode

On my nvidia shield pro these 3 videos work and with Dolby Vision display while here not. 

rbjtech

Great - thankyou that is much more useful.

Does the same happen for a normal HDR10 file - or is it just DV that has the issue ?

Skynet92
2 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Great - thankyou that is much more useful.

Does the same happen for a normal HDR10 file - or is it just DV that has the issue ?

same, but with much less stuttering.

rbjtech

These are just some thoughts and possible things to try out to eliminate items.

Kodi effectively is a client application that reads direct from the storage via the network - it does not try and 'stream' the file.

Emby can also do this (it's would show 'File' in the 'Type de Flux' in Stats for Nerds) but the storage needs to be mounted locally and the emby library setup to use it.

So before we go down that path - do you know if your can 'mount' a fileshare on this hardware ?  You have a Shield, so you could do the same thing there if you wanted to see what to look for.

If we can get a 'File' transfer (the same as Kodi) and it still is very jerky, then we can eliminated the 'streaming/transfer' from the equation - and I unfortunately suspect it is then likely to be something incompatible with Exoplayer and the 'VS10' engine on the hardware.

Here is the link for how to do it on the Shield.

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44002058112-shield-tv-direct-file-access

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44002058102-android-tv-storage-attachment

Edited by rbjtech

15 hours ago, rbjtech said:

These are just some thoughts and possible things to try out to eliminate items.

Kodi effectively is a client application that reads direct from the storage via the network - it does not try and 'stream' the file.

Emby can also do this (it's would show 'File' in the 'Type de Flux' in Stats for Nerds) but the storage needs to be mounted locally and the emby library setup to use it.

So before we go down that path - do you know if your can 'mount' a fileshare on this hardware ?  You have a Shield, so you could do the same thing there if you wanted to see what to look for.

If we can get a 'File' transfer (the same as Kodi) and it still is very jerky, then we can eliminated the 'streaming/transfer' from the equation - and I unfortunately suspect it is then likely to be something incompatible with Exoplayer and the 'VS10' engine on the hardware.

Here is the link for how to do it on the Shield.

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44002058112-shield-tv-direct-file-access

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44002058102-android-tv-storage-attachment

I don't have this option in this box.

I installed a fimware beta that adds the option to disable DV and force HDR10+.

It's the same.

rbjtech

Hmm ok - so from a user perspective, there is not much more I can help you with I'm afraid.  The native Emby Android TV works on the Shield and many other 'unbranded' Android boxes,  however it doesn't work on this box as I suspect the Android kernel has been 'modified' to get the features it advertises.

I presume you need this device over a Shield for the HDR+ ?  If yes, 4K FireTV sticks work with HDR10+ and DV .. these may be an option ..

2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Hmm ok - so from a user perspective, there is not much more I can help you with I'm afraid.  The native Emby Android TV works on the Shield and many other 'unbranded' Android boxes,  however it doesn't work on this box as I suspect the Android kernel has been 'modified' to get the features it advertises.

I presume you need this device over a Shield for the HDR+ ?  If yes, 4K FireTV sticks work with HDR10+ and DV .. these may be an option ..

I hadn't seen that the FireTVs are HDR10+ and DV.

And does it work a 4K DV P7 remux?

rodainas
1 minute ago, Skynet92 said:

it seems nice this one

Application Binary Interface (ABI) 32 bits

Does it mean that FireOS is 32 bits ?

Yes, all the fire devices are 32bit at present time.