4K stuttering help please

Robnaeyaert

Robnaeyaert

Hi Emby team

im very new to 4K and I have three movies that all stutter and skip when playing in Emby theatre.  
Mum not sure if it’s my PC or not. I’m running an i5 NIC5i5RYH with 4GB RAM and the specs say it can run 4K on the DisplayPort which I have plugged into my new 4K TV

the videos seem to stream ok to my phone. 
I’m not sure of all the technical setting I need to tweak so if someone could please point me in the right direction that would be appreciated 

ive attached stats for nerds showing a lot of frame dropping. 

16DDC24D-7654-4E4C-9F20-E98F193731DD.jpeg

GrimReaper

I reckon your Broadwell CPU has no muscle for HEVC 4K 10-bit, even its QuickSync (v4) has no HEVC hardware decode, it was introduced with QSv5 (Skylake, 2 generations later). Reason that there are no issues on your phone is that your mobile is likely several times more powerful and it's taking the load, your NUC is simply serving the file as-is, by DirectPlay. 

• Agree 1

Robnaeyaert
7 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

I reckon your Broadwell CPU has no muscle for HEVC 4K 10-bit, even its QuickSync (v4) has no HEVC hardware decode, it was introduced with QSv5 (Skylake, 2 generations later). Reason that there are no issues on your phone is that your mobile is likely several times more powerful and it's taking the load, your NUC is simply serving the file as-is, by DirectPlay. 

Ok but what is “direct play”?  The specs on the ma home say it handles 4K video via the DisplayPort. I got a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable expecting this to work. Are there any setting in Emby that I could try? Hardware acceleration or interlacing or anything?  

thanks   

Robnaeyaert
8 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

Also do you think moving to a 64bit OS will help at all with performance?  I mistakenly put a 32bit Windows 10 OS on this 64 bit machine. Would that help with my 4K playback issues?

generiq

No. If you look at the stats that you posted, it informs you that no hardware acceleration is being used, so it is falling back on software decoding. So unless you upgrade the GPU, this will always be stressing your CPU to decode.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

generiq

Having said that, try auto-copy or d3d11-copy for hardware acceleration. It might just work, but still might be too slow to decode.

Robnaeyaert
15 minutes ago, generiq said:

Having said that, try auto-copy or d3d11-copy for hardware acceleration. It might just work, but still might be too slow to decode.

also could there be an issue with the refresh rate?  I’m not experienced with all this and I noted my new Samsung screen is set at 29hz refresh. That seemed an odd number but I’m not sure if it’s right and if I need to consider 30hz or another rate?  I set the resolution to 3840x2160 and it suggest 29hz. 

any ideas please?

generiq

The refresh rate will be whatever you set in the GPU control panel or Windows config. You can leave it 29Hz if you want. It will still work well. But you might find the UI is a bit rough in its action. I usually set mine to 59Hz, then everything smooths out.

Out of curiosity, can you attach a screenshot of what Windows is set to? It'll be under display properties.

GrimReaper
2 hours ago, generiq said:

So unless you upgrade the GPU, this will always be stressing your CPU to decode.

It's a NUC, can't upgrade GPU there. 

3 hours ago, Robnaeyaert said:

The specs on the ma home say it handles 4K video via the DisplayPort. I got a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable expecting this to work. Are there any setting in Emby that I could try? Hardware acceleration or interlacing or anything? 

It might handle SOME 4K, like plain 8-bit AVC, but 10-bit HEVC is obviously too taxing. And no, your APU does not support HEVC HW acceleration.

Robnaeyaert
4 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

It's a NUC, can't upgrade GPU there. 

It might handle SOME 4K, like plain 8-bit AVC, but 10-bit HEVC is obviously too taxing. And no, your APU does not support HEVC HW acceleration.

thanks so your definitely ruling out my 32bit Windows 10 OS?  This machine is x64 so wondered if upgrading to 64bit would help?

GrimReaper

Wouldn't think so, your CPU would still struggle, you're simply throwing at it a format he ain't equipped to handle. 

Robnaeyaert
14 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

That said, obtain H264 4K movie with low-to-moderate bitrate, see how does that compare. 

Ok will try - they guy at Intel seems to believe that it was my TV which I explained was brand new AU9000 Samsung TV. He was trying to say that unless my TV had a DisplayPort then I was out of luck with 4K over HMDI. I purchased a Mini DisplayPort to HMDI cable as the NUC specs say 4K is only supported on the DisplayPort and not the mini HDMI. 

does that sound right?

GrimReaper

Your TV ain't the problem here, and as you see in SFN, you're getting 4K there, you are simply using your TV as a display, everything is done on your NUC which can't handle it properly. You might install Emby for Tizen client app, which would enable your TV to take the grunt and likely has HEVC support, it being a new model, and your NUC will simply pass the file, same as it does on your mobile phone. 

Robnaeyaert
2 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Your TV ain't the problem here, and as you see in SFN, you're getting 4K there, you are simply using your TV as a display, everything is done on your NUC which can't handle it properly. You might install Emby for Tizen client app, which would enable your TV to take the grunt and likely has HEVC support, it being a new model, and your NUC will simply pass the file, same as it does on your mobile phone. 

that sounds promising but excuse my ignorance what is Emby for Tizen? I’m not familiar with that  

Robnaeyaert
5 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Emby for Samsung TV. Depending on your location, it might or might not be available in Samsung App store. If not, install from USB. 

https://emby.media/emby-for-samsung-smart-tv.html

One quick question I noted in that link it says “2014 H-series”. My TV is a Samsung AU9000 65” 4K. Will this version work on my TV as 2014 seems a long while back?

Robnaeyaert
1 minute ago, GrimReaper said:

Click green "Install from USB". It's a link. 

Doh. Told you I was a doofus. Will try and come back. You’re a legend. 

• Haha 1

Robnaeyaert
3 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

Click green "Install from USB". It's a link. 

GrimReaper I can’t thank you enough. The suggestion you made did the trick 100% and I’m so grateful for your and everyone’s advise. 
the Samsung app installed like a dream and now I have awesome looking 4K video playing. 

is there any advice on the setup settings on the Samsung app -like playback at 4K-120Mbs etc. that seems to be fine but wanted to know if there were any optimum settings?

cheers again!!!!!

• Like 1

GrimReaper

Glad you sorted it out. 

Nah, leave it at that, as that'll ensure that you always get DirectPlay (or DirectStream), no transcoding due to bandwidth restrictions (assuming you play supported media format), else your NUC would again be in truble. Don't know what bitrate your TV can handle, but I wouldn't push it to high, try to stay up to mid-tens - or you might experiment and find the upper limit, if inclined so. 

Cheers

Robnaeyaert
30 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Glad you sorted it out. 

Nah, leave it at that, as that'll ensure that you always get DirectPlay (or DirectStream), no transcoding due to bandwidth restrictions (assuming you play supported media format), else your NUC would again be in truble. Don't know what bitrate your TV can handle, but I wouldn't push it to high, try to stay up to mid-tens - or you might experiment and find the upper limit, if inclined so. 

Cheers

just one question “how would I push it” too high as I’ve set my playback at 4K -120mb? I’m just curious as I notice on the stats for nerds it says it’s DirectPlay and 7mbps bitrate. Are you saying try media with a much higher bitrate?

the TV is a 2021 model Samsung 

more curious than anything but super happy you could help as I really didn’t want to fork out for a new NUC. You rock