Official Steam Version.

Mkilbride

So the Steam Deck is pretty hyped now.  They showed it as a streaming device in some videos today. It's powerful enough to play pretty much anything directly, heck it could even be a server quite easily with it's specs.

A lot of people got to talking and now people are saying Plex is going to release a version to Steam so that it'd just run through that and play onto SteamOS without the user having to muck about outside of Valves ecosystem. There are plenty of free tools / video players in Steams Software section, so it'd be a pretty neat little thing I imagine.

• Like 5

• 6 months later...

Speaking of Emby server, I'm very interested in using the Steam Deck as a portable Emby server—among other things—so the kiddos can stream videos to their iPads.  I know I can install Windows on it and then just run the Windows server app, but it'd be great to get a native version for SteamOS.

I currently use an RPi 4 for this, which works pretty well, but having a more general purpose device is ideal, especially given that it has better/faster/more M.2 storage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Reviving this. I got my reservation email earlier today. Should be getting my Steam Deck next month some time.
I'll play around with it and see what can be done.

For the most part, using it as a client should be easy enough. I mean, browser access is all you need.
Server: SteamOS 3 is based off Arch, it just uses a modified KDE GUI. I have a feeling it wouldn't take much to get the Emby Server running, you should be able to install the emby-server package that already exists. That said, I haven't messed with SteamOS since the older versions, not much information on how application installs may work. Could just need to repackage the arch package and submit it to Steam for some kind of approval.

The older SteamOS versions (2 and 1) used Debian and Ubuntu + GNOME. Same kind of thing.

I am intending to use mine as a sort of HTPC in my bedroom. Real HTPC in living room. Tired of Roku these days, half the time nothing works anymore, on anything.

On 3/31/2022 at 12:44 PM, Dazik said:

Reviving this. I got my reservation email earlier today.

(reads with envy)

I'd be curious if you can install Emby from the Discover app store—like the author of this article did to install Chrome—and then launch it from within Steam?  Definitely not as convenient as a app in the Steam Library, but it should suffice.

No rush, though.  Mine won't get here until October.  Maybe.  😒

• 1 month later...
n00b42
Posted (edited)

Got my SteamDeck some days ago, Discover (using flathub) only offers "Emby Server", not the client.

Nonetheless, you can just download the flatpack file from the Emby site and install it.

Edited by n00b42