Some 4K movies showing green and purple tints.

RoyH

On 10/14/2023 at 10:19 AM, katbyte said:

@Luke - any updates on this? encounter this again with a video having the purple tiny on ATV but playing fine on andriod tv.

Hi, we are looking into improving it. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 30/10/2023 at 06:01, Luke said:

Hi, we are looking into improving it. Thanks.

Hi.  I've also encountered an issue with this.  I have an LG OLED TV which does support DV, however i'm getting the green/purple tint when playing Dolby Vision files using the native emby app on the LG Smart TV.  Apparently because the LG TV only supports DV in mp4 files and not mkv.

Someone in a different thread gave the following command which fixes the issue - it basically converts the mkv file to mp4 which happens super fast as it's not transcoding, just moving the video to a different container;

ffmpeg -i "input.mkv" -map 0 -strict experimental -c:v copy -c:a copy -c:s mov_text "output.mp4"

Could the Emby 'convert' feature have the ability to add a custom conversion command added?  At the moment there's only a "TV" or "Mobile" or "Custom" option.  It would be amazing if I could create my own "DolbyVision" option that essentially runs the above conversion as I could then do it straight from the TV without having to switch on my computer to do the conversion.  

visproduction

I think the playback results depend on the codec of the video in the file.

Direct playback no Emby conversion settings:
  Video h.264 inside container .mkv --> remux (put video in a different container) video file to .mp4 container = playback video is visible

But:
  Video h.265 inside container .mkv --> remux file to .mp4 container = playback video is blank

Changing containers works, if the video inside the mkv happens to be h.264.

Emby conversion turned on:
Can Emby see that the video is h.265 inside a mp4 container and will Emby convert to .mp4 and keep all versions of HDR set correctly so that the TV will recognize and playback HDR in the correct colors?  --- I have no idea.  How does the TV recognize all 5 versions of HDR?  Would the TV even see all versions of HDR after it has moved to a .mp4 container?  Do different TV brands handle this differently?

Emby would need to check if the original video is h.264 and only then remux the container from .mkv to mp4.  Would that cause a problem to recognize alternate audio like AC3 that often is part of a .mkv video?  Can that audio be also auto converted to AAC which plays back on all systems, or would Emby conversion not bother checking for the audio inside a .mp4 video and then result in video with no audio playback?

Just asking to convert all .mkv to mp4 is not an answer.  There are more layers involved.  Success depends on the original video codec.

See: https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/hdr-is-a-hot-mess/

Edited by visproduction

On 12/8/2023 at 7:03 AM, wasc said:

Hi.  I've also encountered an issue with this.  I have an LG OLED TV which does support DV, however i'm getting the green/purple tint when playing Dolby Vision files using the native emby app on the LG Smart TV.  Apparently because the LG TV only supports DV in mp4 files and not mkv.

Someone in a different thread gave the following command which fixes the issue - it basically converts the mkv file to mp4 which happens super fast as it's not transcoding, just moving the video to a different container;

ffmpeg -i "input.mkv" -map 0 -strict experimental -c:v copy -c:a copy -c:s mov_text "output.mp4"

Could the Emby 'convert' feature have the ability to add a custom conversion command added?  At the moment there's only a "TV" or "Mobile" or "Custom" option.  It would be amazing if I could create my own "DolbyVision" option that essentially runs the above conversion as I could then do it straight from the TV without having to switch on my computer to do the conversion.  

Hi, yes adding more options to convert feature is planned for future updates. Thanks.