Some 4K movies showing green and purple tints.

RoyH

generiq
3 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Netflix, Apple TV, Disney+ etc are all HDR10 and DV so personally I think it's only a matter of time before Amazon drop it as a format - depends how much Samsung are paying them to keep it I guess ... 🤪

I think it's the other way around. HDR10+ is FREE! They have no reason to pay for anything. And Amazon is just about the biggest company in the world, and a vast many people are using Fire devices to watch media. You really think Amazon are going to spend money to reconfigure all of their own devices and then pay Dolby on top of that? I find it highly unlikely that Amazon will yield to anyone. But in the end, I don't think is really matters. Both formats are equally as easy to produce. Both of them will likely be around for a long time.

rbjtech
6 minutes ago, generiq said:

You really think Amazon are going to spend money to reconfigure all of their own devices and then pay Dolby on top of that? 

They already are - the latest Amazon Cube now supports Dolby Vision..

At the end of the day, format wars suck for the consumer - you are left with devices that may not be able to play the best version or worse still not play it back at all.

generiq
14 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

At the end of the day, format wars suck for the consumer - you are left with devices that may not be able to play the best version or worse still not play it back at all.

Yeah, I agree. I guess it's the price we pay for technological advancement 😏

DJkhaled

I never seen that for like ever, windows 98se days use to sometimes look like that playing movies from codecs or was it windows xp 🤔 

• 7 months later...
On 8/3/2021 at 2:45 AM, RoyH said:

Some of my recent 4K movies showing with Green and Purple tints while some other 4K movies show fine.

image.thumb.png.f268fa94009ac686e110177c9c2e1259.png

download another movie rip 👍🏻

• 2 weeks later...
katbyte

@Luke I still am (found this today while debugging), on 4.7.0.32, web/iOS app, infuse TV plays the video from emby just fine

image.thumb.png.1aa27d35e0c62bd66acea3020d4d86e3.png

image.thumb.png.f4ae6792ce261bda80ca2f67b9b3188d.png

image.thumb.png.b48e66b8d7f21984c3d3f0229b7f51f0.png

• 3 weeks later...

This is one of those DoVi profiles that we cannot tone map. iOS can play it because Apple have a license.
The only public implementation that can deal with those colors is in libplacebo which MPV player is using, but it requires Vulkan support.

• Agree 1

RanmaCanada

People need to learn DolbyVision is proprietary.  Not every device can play every profile.  Make sure what your devices can play before you grab stuff.  This is NOT the fault of the Emby Dev team.  This is your fault for grabbing the wrong content.  DolbyVision has a serious learning curve.  If you want to swap profile levels, there is a tool that is available though you do need to learn how to use it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
RobsterUK
On 26/04/2022 at 14:46, marauder said:

If you can play Dolby Vision and use a tool like Radarr, you can tell it not to take those files.

I use this page for all my custom formats, It has a block for Dolby Vision, just set it to a negative score.

https://trash-guides.info/Radarr/Radarr-collection-of-custom-formats/

I've had a few releases recently where the content was displaying purple/green.

I have just been grabbing a different rip. But stumbled across this thread while trying to determine the cause.

An interesting read on the 'format' wars, guess as consumers we will always have to work around one format over another.

This thread on custom formats for radarr is a great resource. I will have a proper read through and reset all of my quality settings using the posted custom formats. 

Hopefully that will stop all of these purple/green files. I generally don't check grabbed files until I sit down to watch them. I want an automated system, these custom formats look like they will help me take this to another level 👍

• Thanks 1

marauder
1 minute ago, RobsterUK said:

I've had a few releases recently where the content was displaying purple/green.

I have just been grabbing a different rip. But stumbled across this thread while trying to determine the cause.

An interesting read on the 'format' wars, guess as consumers we will always have to work around one format over another.

This thread on custom formats for radarr is a great resource. I will have a proper read through and reset all of my quality settings using the posted custom formats. 

Hopefully that will stop all of these purple/green files. I generally don't check grabbed files until I sit down to watch them. I want an automated system, these custom formats look like they will help me take this to another level 👍

I did the same.added my custom filters and reset the weighting. Stopped all the issues. 

• 2 weeks later...
BoomerGamer62

Not sure if this has been said already, but one option is to run the DV video through a converter.  I had this same problem with it looking green and purple.  I ran it through the convert option on VLC media player.  I set it to a standard .mp4 file for conversion.  It worked, and full color restored!

Downsides (at least with VLC) -- took about 30 minutes to convert a one hour video, and it wasnt 4k any more.

BoomerGamer62

Thats my point.  Since VLC doesnt support DOVI, when you run a video with DOVI encoding through the VLC convert process, what you're left with  is a video without DOVI -- and no more purple/green videos..

• 1 month later...
casminkey
On 4/26/2022 at 9:46 AM, marauder said:

If you can play Dolby Vision and use a tool like Radarr, you can tell it not to take those files.

I use this page for all my custom formats, It has a block for Dolby Vision, just set it to a negative score.

https://trash-guides.info/Radarr/Radarr-collection-of-custom-formats/

Thank you for this. This is a great tool!

Any chance this would also work with Sonarr?  I don't see they have the Custom Format option yet on v3.0.9.1549

• Like 1

marauder
1 hour ago, casminkey said:

Thank you for this. This is a great tool!

Any chance this would also work with Sonarr?  I don't see they have the Custom Format option yet on v3.0.9.1549

It's not as clean in Sonarr(at least I don't think so, some disagree) It's under Profiles > Release Profiles. This has been working quite well for me.

2022-10-04_102120.png

• 4 months later...
marauder
28 minutes ago, katbyte said:

@Luke - i'm still seeing this. is there an intention to eventually support DV? or going forward should folk just never use DV

I don’t believe this is an emby issue. It’s an issue with your hardware and codec support for Dolby Digital. Which not a lot of devices carry as it’s closed source, and thus they have to pay a licensing fee.  

katbyte

@marauder some of the devices are a sony master series andriod tv + an apple TV + m1 macbook pro + iphone 14 pro. I am fairly certain these devices support DV as other applications play DV just fine. In fact infuse tv plays the exact same video on them from emby without any problems leading me to believe it is an issue with the emby application itself.

Not only that if the devices didn't support DV I would hope that the emby is able to transcode and tonemap it to a format that works for them just as it does with other incompatible media.

jiggity

Another thing to consider with DV playback is the MKV container is fairly new with support for it and there is relatively limited support for it and DV.

If you want to have more 'legacy' support for DV playback try and obtain MP4 encoded files instead.

This will not help if the device you are trying to playback on doesn't support DV at all, however, nor fix any tone mapping issues with transcoding. DV just be like that

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...