Some 4K movies showing green and purple tints.

RoyH

Hi, can you show us the detail info for this movie at the bottom of it's detail screen.

rbjtech

Likely to be Dolby Vision encoding ..

You'll need to use MediaInfo to show this layer detail - emby/ffmpeg will not tell you this.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi, can you show us the detail info for this movie at the bottom of it's detail screen.

Is it this you are asking for

image.thumb.png.b1c03edfa77a9e4e7a5373c8da0c78fc.png

lorac

As others have said the problem is dobly vision.

For the DV rip there was a repack and there's also a non DV rip. I didn't try the repack but had the same issue with the original.

Usually DV plays fine even if your TV doesn't support it but sometimes you do end up with the green and purple.

• Like 1

Yes thank you.

This is a case where ffprobe doesn't read the file correctly. (as @rbjtech mentioned a couple messages above)
This isn't an HDR10 file but a Dolby Vision (proprietary format) file which is why it can't transcode correctly.

To play this you would need a client that can pass through or tone map Dolby Vision.

Most of the time this is going to mean you need a Dolby Vision TV system and client that can play it.

rbjtech

Just to add to what @lorac said.

What 'should' happen is if your playback device does not support DV, then the base layer (BL) should play 'as is' - which is HDR10 and the DV info (layers) gets ignored.

However, yours is trying to use the DV on a non DV device, hence you end up with interesting colours lol .. 

The media file is at fault here - so your only option is to use the non-DV encode which does not have this issue.

23 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

What 'should' happen is if your playback device does not support DV, then the base layer (BL) should play 'as is' - which is HDR10 and the DV info (layers) gets ignored.

However, yours is trying to use the DV on a non DV device, hence you end up with interesting colours lol .. 

The media file is at fault here - so your only option is to use the non-DV encode which does not have this issue.

Thank you but could you translate this to where I understand

1. I'm assuming my server dont support DV what if anything I need to get it to support DV.

2. How do I get the BL to play "as is" I assume this is a work around.

3. Should I just avoid DV media files like it is Covid 19.

rbjtech

1. I'm assuming my server dont support DV what if anything I need to get it to support DV.

It's not a server issue - it's a Client Hardware issue.  If you have no TV's that support DV, then if you have the choice, go for the normal HDR10 version.

2. How do I get the BL to play "as is" I assume this is a work around.

Normally this is what happens and it works great - you get normal HDR10 from the file - but if the encoding has been messed up, then the BL is also messed up - thus there is no work around. 

3. Should I just avoid DV media files like it is Covid 19.

If you have the choice yes, but DV is becoming more and more popular so avoidance may not be possible but as said above, they should work with HDR10 only so this is only a problem for the media that has not been authored properly.

• Agree 1

generiq
6 hours ago, rbjtech said:

This is largely misleading. Only some DV titles are backward compatible. Most of my DV stuff is DV only. In fact, I think the example above is also DV only. Mediainfo should state if it also has the HDR10 layer.  DV is an unnecessarily complicated piece of rubbish. Dolby shot themselves in the foot with how they've implemented it.

rbjtech
1 hour ago, generiq said:

In fact, I think the example above is also DV only. Mediainfo should state if it also has the HDR10 layer.  DV is an unnecessarily complicated piece of rubbish. Dolby shot themselves in the foot with how they've implemented it.

There is no way to know this from the MediaInfo screen shown - I agree - the OP needs to drop to select 'Tree' and then it will show the full DV Information, incl layers, profiles etc.

DV is a propriety and licensed format - it was never intended to be 'ripped' from either a disk or from a stream - THIS is what has introduced all these problems with people 'hacking' it to get it to work as a single layer.

I agree 'DV Only' is a option - but if somebody has used this as the DV profile, then they probably themselves have not realised that it's useless to anyone without a DV TV .. 🤪

• Like 1

generiq
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

...but if somebody has used this as the DV profile, then they probably themselves have not realised that it's useless to anyone without a DV TV .. 🤪

That's not strictly true. As long as the decoder is accessible to the player, then it can be rendered. I use Dolby's decoder to watch DV media on my TV that doesn't 'support' Dolby Vision. The biggest issue with decoding DV metadata, is knowing specifically where the metadata is in the stream, in relation to what needs to be rendered. This is the information that Dolby is keep proprietary. So by giving the player  access the Dolby decoder, it can be rendered. Of course, it's more complicated than that (the swapchains need to support it etc), but that's just mechanics.

3 hours ago, cayars said:

It's not a simple answer but mainly depends on the profile of DV used.

Here's a good read on this (bit technical) that should make this a bit easier to understand.
https://avdisco.com/t/demystifying-dolby-vision-profile-levels-dolby-vision-levels-mel-fel/95

I think I am more confused now than before, I will read this tonight to get some knowledge on this but I think I will stay away from DV for now. I am a Samsung person all my TVs are Samsung as is almost everyone that access my server and Samsung TVs dont support DV so it makes sense that I dont have DV files on the server

2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

There is no way to know this from the MediaInfo screen shown - I agree - the OP needs to drop to select 'Tree' and then it will show the full DV Information, incl layers, profiles etc.

DV is a propriety and licensed format - it was never intended to be 'ripped' from either a disk or from a stream - THIS is what has introduced all these problems with people 'hacking' it to get it to work as a single layer.

I agree 'DV Only' is a option - but if somebody has used this as the DV profile, then they probably themselves have not realised that it's useless to anyone without a DV TV .. 🤪

Here is the Tree view

image.thumb.png.e5e9c8d93ca6e74dd1040b2510734ea0.png

42 minutes ago, generiq said:

That's not strictly true. As long as the decoder is accessible to the player, then it can be rendered. I use Dolby's decoder to watch DV media on my TV that doesn't 'support' Dolby Vision. 

What exactly do you mean by this?  What equipment are you using to do this?

generiq
9 hours ago, cayars said:

What exactly do you mean by this?  What equipment are you using to do this?

It's a simple test that most people can do. If you have a Windows 10 computer connected to an HDR TV, install the Dolby Vision extension and play your DV media in the Movies and TV app. The TVs don't need any special hardware, the correct software just needs to be used. This makes it easier for TV manufacturers to enable the use of Dolby Vision. Pay for the license and use the decoder. In the case of Windows, their swapchain supports all forms of HDR, so it just needs to be able to decode the metadata. 

Dolby Vision Extension for Windows 10

Edited by generiq
  • Like 1

generiq
2 hours ago, RoyH said:

I think I am more confused now than before, I will read this tonight to get some knowledge on this but I think I will stay away from DV for now. I am a Samsung person all my TVs are Samsung as is almost everyone that access my server and Samsung TVs dont support DV so it makes sense that I dont have DV files on the server

Here is the Tree view

image.thumb.png.e5e9c8d93ca6e74dd1040b2510734ea0.png

Yeah, Dolby Vision only. If you have Samsung TVs, they don't natively support it. 

rbjtech

Agreed - it has no EL flag set.  First time I've seen one of those in an MKV.

However, I'm unsure on your response about using software to test for DV - On profile 5 (stream) yes, but for any UHD Rip, that is dual layer (from my understanding), only HARDWARE can read this as there is no software that can do it as it's proprietary to Dolby.   The only way to read it, is to convert it back to single layer whilst retaining the DV metadata - at which point software can read it again.  Whether this is 'true' DV remains to be seen (many say it is not) but on my DV LG OLED, there is a clear difference for a rip I make with a DV enabled UHD vs HDR10 - colours just pop with DV, they are 'nice' with HDR but not 'wow'.

I'm going to test using the DV Extension - I'm curious now.

Dolby Atmos seems easy in comparison to understanding DV .. 🤣

rbjtech
13 hours ago, RoyH said:

Agree 100% - if none of your TV's support DV, then stay away from DV files. 👍

Samsung are a HDR10+ supporter (creator?), but I'm afraid that appears to have died as a format as very few movies/studios are now using it.  Maybe Samsung will join the DV camp soon as without DV, they are missing a major feature, but it's unlikely they will add to their current TV's as it's a license issue.

From the 4K Release link below, of 1118 releases, 297 are DV but only 37 are HDR10+.  

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XgBqUDMwN-_CvbQssa7KVY_j56kimrgfePAH7i3dStM/edit#gid=882305619

generiq
6 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Agreed - it has no EL flag set.  First time I've seen one of those in an MKV.

However, I'm unsure on your response about using software to test for DV - On profile 5 (stream) yes, but for any UHD Rip, that is dual layer (from my understanding), only HARDWARE can read this as there is no software that can do it as it's proprietary to Dolby.   The only way to read it, is to convert it back to single layer whilst retaining the DV metadata - at which point software can read it again.  Whether this is 'true' DV remains to be seen (many say it is not) but on my DV LG OLED, there is a clear difference for a rip I make with a DV enabled UHD vs HDR10 - colours just pop with DV, they are 'nice' with HDR but not 'wow'.

I'm going to test using the DV Extension - I'm curious now.

Dolby Atmos seems easy in comparison to understanding DV .. 🤣

You can test with Dolby's videos. 

https://developer.dolby.com/tools-media/sample-media/video-streams/dolby-vision-streams/

generiq
On 8/5/2021 at 2:40 AM, rbjtech said:

Samsung are a HDR10+ supporter (creator?), but I'm afraid that appears to have died as a format as very few movies/studios are now using it.  

I get increasing amounts of HDR10+ media. I see more and more titles. And if you don't have devices that support it, then it's just HDR10 with 100% compatibility. My prediction is this is yet another round of betamax vs VHS and HD DVD vs BLUE RAY. Compatibility and ease of use always wins...and it's free.

• Like 1

generiq

I just thought I'd share this. I have a lot of TV shows that are also in HDR10+

Screenshot 2021-08-10 181715.jpg

Edited by generiq

rbjtech

Bosch = Amazon, so yes, they are one of the few streamers that use HDR10+ (as well as DV and normal HDR, they are not exclusive). 

Netflix, Apple TV, Disney+ etc are all HDR10 and DV so personally I think it's only a matter of time before Amazon drop it as a format - depends how much Samsung are paying them to keep it I guess ... 🤪