Turn on Missing Episodes

gjviii
Go to solution Solved by Carlo,

4 hours ago, serpi said:

For me, the "missong episodes" was more important.

As I live in germany and many series are foreign (fo example Anime or US series), they come often here later, so I can see, how many episodes still missing (upcoming is also nice, of course).

Also, If I now delete a series, because I watched it, but then there comes a new season later and I put only this new sesason in the library, this will not be anymore in the "Next Up" line on the homescreen. This worked before 4.8, because missing episodes where added into the library (and watched status was kept).

Hi, this can be done in a different way, which will end up being better because everyone will benefit from it without having to enable some obscure feature.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Catalyph
On 2/14/2024 at 1:26 AM, Luke said:

This is in the beta server now and will be backported to an Emby Server 4.8.2 maintenance update.

Stop that.. how am i going to see this on my TV.. I would have to open a web browser on my tv to see if there is a missing episode or go through some weird burried context menu's..

Catalyph
On 2/29/2024 at 4:13 AM, Junglejim said:

I think this thread is named wrong! You seem to be upset about not seeing the "upcoming" episodes in the library not "missing" episodes. They are two different things. Upcoming episodes can't be missing they don't exist yet. If your not a server admin then for sure your not interested in missing episodes and getting your library sorted out. You just want to see the fake thumb image for a episode in the latest season that doesn't exist yet?

Yes, this is exactly what users want to see, the missing AND next upcoming episodes, so we know when the air dats for the next episode is and if we are missing an episode, if the library is incomplete, I WOULD SEE IT SAYS MISSING EPISODE. instead of nothing and maybe completely missing an episode because I didnt go and check a burried context menu.

Catalyph
On 4/5/2024 at 7:37 AM, Junglejim said:

Nice comment! I think the main reason people are getting upset is the view of up coming episodes (not yet aired and not missing) within the current season? Sure missing episodes within the previous season you are watching are also affected.. hmm should that be up to the admin to look after..? As a client user you have no action there anyway.

As for technical, how quick is the scan for the tv lib now.. 👍

If we could schedule this process as you said, it would be a start..

I have users let me know that episode are missing  all the time, as an admin i'm just adding a show and let it be, i'm not going through the shows and confirming. 

previously a user would let me know they see a missing episode on a show , now, sometimes they dont even know they missed and episode until they realize they missing some plot line in the show and are lost on what is going on.

Catalyph
On 4/5/2024 at 2:49 PM, Luke said:

Hi, this can be done in a different way, which will end up being better because everyone will benefit from it without having to enable some obscure feature.

what obscure feature.. do you mean the obscure feature that there are nearly 5 forum pages of people saying it is not obscure?

Zenith Media

Hello. I, as well believe that the missing episodes should be a natural default within the folders. Especially, on the television version of emby, there is not an option for viewing missing episodes.

Dragon1013

Well add one more disappointed user to the list. I also just found this thread due to trying to figure out what happened to the missing episodes and not upcoming upcoming as other users think we are talking about. Although I feel this will fall on deaf ears and be ignored.

Edited by Dragon1013

Gilgamesh_48
4 minutes ago, Dragon1013 said:

Well add one more disappointed user to the list. I also just found this thread due to trying to figure out what happened to the missing episodes and not upcoming upcoming as other users think we are talking about. Although I feel this will fall on deaf ears and be ignored.

Emby has a lot in common with God. One of the things they have in common is the answering of prayers. All prayers get answered but, sometimes, the answer is no.

Personally I preferred being able to see which episodes are missing while browsing and this moves the viewing of "missing" to a separate function. I don't like that but it does work, mostly.

I don't need the older display method but I find  this new separate function can be irritating when I am trying to decide if I can just watch what I have or if I need to re-rip/reacquire episodes. 
Also, in a few cases. I have very old shows that are slightly wrongly named. Like having a two part episode named just as one like where a episode is actually both the first and second episode of a season and it "should" be named s01e01e02 but it is actually named just s01e01 and the next episode is named s01e03. That works fine actually but the missing e02 in the name makes Emby think that e02 is missing when it really is not. 
A number of my older TV shows has missing second part indications and, usually, it really is not a problem. 
With the old missing episode in line display I could tell if there actually was a missing episode or just a missing naming. With the new display it takes a lot longer to find if an episode is truly missing and if it is not then there is no indication of what the problem is. 

I liked "display missing episodes within the seasons they aired" form but this new separate function for missing just does not lend itself to easy operation and fix of seasons with missing episodes. 

I can use the cumbersome method we have now but it would be better if both display methods were available.

Dragon1013

I still haven't been able to locate this new method of seeing missing episodes so that tells you how useful it is

Gilgamesh_48
22 minutes ago, Dragon1013 said:

I still haven't been able to locate this new method of seeing missing episodes so that tells you how useful it is

When browsing by show click on the three dot menu and "Show missing episodes" is the very bottom entry. 

Dragon1013

Thanks I found it. Is there a place to download previous versions of EMBY before they screwed it up?

Gilgamesh_48
2 hours ago, Dragon1013 said:

Thanks I found it. Is there a place to download previous versions of EMBY before they screwed it up?

While you might find such a beast I STRONGLY recommend against it. There are only a few times when it is safe to roll back and the database changes since the "missing episodes" was changed would make it an almost certain problem unless you do a full wipe and reinstall of the old Emby and, even then, there are potential problems involving the database and other support files. 
If you decided to do a full wipe and reinstall be sure to remove ALL Emby support files and registry entries. 

I wanted to have a release and a beta server but the one I wanted for release actually caught on fire (A single failed resistor and boom, no computer) fortunately the case contained the flames and it was not close to anything flammable.  But i lost that entire computer and an external drive that was plugged into it. 

I have been running the beta only for several weeks and i have had no real problems except for those caused by times when my masculinity takes over and i do something very stupid. ;) 

If you decide to roll back also the support from Emby will be minimal but the stable ver just before the current upgrade was very stable, it was just limited.

rbjtech

Yea not really sure what emby are doing with this right now.    They have taken away an integral part of TV show viewing (both missing and upcoming) and replaced it with a manual check which is all but useless for the average user.       Emby for AndroidTV (you know, the client that has been in the process of being 'replaced' for the last 4 years..) now has some of this put back  - it has an 'upcoming' row like before (with a 'future' banner across the poster) and if the latest episode is missing - then it shows that as 'missing'.   But if mid-season are missing, then it doesn't show those - so it's only useful for current shows.  No other client appears to have this.

All in all - it's a bit of an inconsistent mess .. 🙄

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, rbjtech said:

But if mid-season are missing, then it doesn't show those

It does if you turn on the option in settings.  Missing episodes between existing ones in a season will be shown as they were before.  Missing episodes at the end of the season are not currently detected.

Happy2Play
37 minutes ago, Trevor68 said:

Where is the setting, is it global for all clients?

Doesn't exist.

Happy2Play
58 minutes ago, Trevor68 said:

Then what is EBR referring to?

I can only guess that specific TV app.