Turn on Missing Episodes

gjviii
Go to solution Solved by Carlo,

serband

Also another bad User Experience call is that you have to go an extra mile and toggle the Upcoming Episodes in order to see them. Wow, I think who planned these, didn't think clearly that this is a bad bad design! 👎

So disappointed!

image.thumb.png.e684fe4ac6526651be602dbe01424492.png

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

GrimReaper

@serband, you really shouldn't falsely quote anyone, ever, especially a Forum mod. You'll get a free pass now, assuming you ain't well versed in forum posting and everyone makes mistakes, but this'll be the only one. Next time - direct ban.

Edited by GrimReaper

jochenhonig

Quoting issues aside, can we please get confirmation that the much better implementation will be implemented again, as it was before?

Thanks

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

Doppellhelix

I am also very unhappy with this new solution of showing missing episodes.
Missing or unaired episodes should be displayed by default.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Here's what's cooking in the pipeline as a way to see all missing episodes in one place. A new section in the  metadata manager titled Views:

image.png

• Disagree 2

jochenhonig

So having the old behavior as an option is not even being considered? No one wants to go through countless menus to see something that should be shown in the episodes/seasons list. There is a reason it was done this way before, I assume. I am just not sure who asked for it to be removed...

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Jonathan1683

Hey Luke,

I appreciate all the work you are doing to make this a better UI, this looks like an awesome feature you have cooking and I would much rather use that than the current reports app I have to use, but you should probably keep both options available as it's just easier to view them within the series. You should keep missing and upcoming with the airdate so we know when the next one is getting released. I think this makes for a more simple user friendly experience for the average user. I don't want to take anything away from what you are also doing with the metadata menu as that is something I have wanted for a long time.

Thank you :)

Edited by Jonathan1683
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

Catalyph
On 2/9/2024 at 11:30 PM, Jonathan1683 said:

Hey Luke,

I appreciate all the work you are doing to make this a better UI, this looks like an awesome feature you have cooking and I would much rather use that than the current reports app I have to use, but you should probably keep both options available as it's just easier to view them within the series. You should keep missing and upcoming with the airdate so we know when the next one is getting released. I think this makes for a more simple user friendly experience for the average user. I don't want to take anything away from what you are also doing with the metadata menu as that is something I have wanted for a long time.

Thank you :)

I'm specifically avoiding upgrading to 4.8 just because of this. Not sure on the decision to completely remove a feature instead of optioning it.

• Agree 3

Catalyph

Also, Im calling BS on the excuse for removing the feature and adding to a context menu being a performance issue. there are 100's of ways to get around this, but the easiest and laziest was to just remove it. now when you want to see missing episodes you have to rely on AN INTERNET CONNECTION to the provider to get the list... HOW IS THAT BETTER?

This was actually one feature that I actually used and was easy to find and visually see.

instead of a crappy context list, just add the option to display that context list... in the episode list like it was before as an option. even set the query times to a user setting if you want the "performance".

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

douglasparker

I prefer to be able to see missing episodes in-line with the media library itself.

In rare cases, an episode might be missing and it's nice to see in the UI while watching. Otherwise, it's really easy to accidentally play next and skip the missing episode.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

mallison01

Yes, please revert back, I and several other people I know who use emby like this feature and hate the new thing. It's almost useless. Most of my family that use emby will never find it and makes for a bad experience.

I wish I would have known about this, I would have stopped my server from updating. This and the broken apps and pin system across several devices. 

• Agree 4

On 2/9/2024 at 3:39 PM, Luke said:

Here's what's cooking in the pipeline as a way to see all missing episodes in one place. A new section in the  metadata manager titled Views:

image.png

This is in the beta server now and will be backported to an Emby Server 4.8.2 maintenance update.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 3

douglasparker
1 hour ago, Luke said:

This is in the beta server now and will be backported to an Emby Server 4.8.2 maintenance update.

Sonarr and Radarr manages our content just fine. Please see my above post to understand my use case. The functionality in beta is cool and all, but most of us manage that outside of Emby.

FredrikT

+1 on having missing (and future with premier dates) episodes directly in the standard tv series view back again. This was an awesome feature!

If there was a performance issue, then people could disable this feature (or have it off by default) or upgrade their hw if they weren't happy with the performance. With enough RAM and a fast (NVme) SSD this shouldn't really be a problem.

Edited by FredrikT
  • Agree 2

scb99
1 hour ago, FredrikT said:

+1 on having missing (and future with premier dates) episodes directly in the standard tv series view back again. This was an awesome feature!

If there was a performance issue, then people could disable this feature (or have it off by default) or upgrade their hw if they weren't happy with the performance. With enough RAM and a fast (NVme) SSD this shouldn't really be a problem.

AIUI the info was held in the database, and this has been removed so that the info is now generated dynamically on request.

I can well understand why this decision was taken to be honest.

• Like 1
  • Disagree 2

douglasparker
13 minutes ago, scb99 said:

Why do you think that decision was made?

mallison01
15 hours ago, Luke said:

On 2/9/2024 at 2:39 PM, Luke said:

image.png

OK this is great and all but what good does this do for a regular user watching a series and not realizing an episode is missing or being able to easily see future episodes without having to dig in multiple menus.

This is fine to add but i believe someone else already mentioned it, but the missing episode stuff is a end user feature that most like to use and have readily available, and as far as managing the missing episodes most are doing this in Sonarr or similar.

I would rather see something like this created to help find duplicates or episodes and movies with multiple versions, this is a filter Plex has had for a while now.

I know i have talked to several people that want the missing episodes option restored.

Someone mentioned the performance hit, and something about it being dynamically generated now when a user looks for it. I have never noticed any performance issues and i have a pretty large library. Can we have an option to turn it on in the clients and list it in line like it was, and have it default to showing upcoming episodes.

• Like 4

FredrikT
14 hours ago, scb99 said:

AIUI the info was held in the database, and this has been removed so that the info is now generated dynamically on request.

I have a pretty big library (two figure TB) and the Emby database is about 120 MB... In this day and age that is nothing. I'd much rather have an option to add this feature back for a bit bigger database. Hell, even twice the size is NO problem whatsoever tbh 🤣

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

serband

We need the missing and upcoming episodes old features back ❤️
The new ones are terrible 😢

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

mallison01

Any chance this regression will be fixed or are we stuck with this. I can not tell you how much i hate it and other people are complaining to me about it.

• Agree 1

Jonathan1683

Hello,

Does anyone have any advice on how to show missing episodes now? Do we need a 3rd party app to see them collectively?  Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you

12 minutes ago, Jonathan1683 said:

Hello,

Does anyone have any advice on how to show missing episodes now? Do we need a 3rd party app to see them collectively?  Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you

Hi, there are multiple ways to do that:

• Season context menu -> view missing episodes
  • Series context menu -> view missing episodes
  • The upcoming 4.8.2 maintenance release will have a new section in the metadata manager where you can see them for your entire library all at once.
  • Facepalm 2

Junglejim
15 minutes ago, Jonathan1683 said:

Hello,

Thank you

It's now shown via the 3dot menu (view missing episodes) from the show or season view.

Personally I have no problems with this, a lot of people seem to dislike change just for the sake of it.

It makes the db more responsive and looks a lot cleaner so be it.

One request I have is to have "Upcoming" toggled by default so the popup is not empty. 🙏

Edited by Junglejim

Junglejim
On 20/02/2024 at 01:15, mallison01 said:

Any chance this regression will be fixed or are we stuck with this. I can not tell you how much i hate it and other people are complaining to me about it.

For me this is totally a admin feature, my users get what they get, end of.

If I add a new episode it will popup in there continue watching and hopefully they will be excited.. or not.. 😁

• Facepalm 1

Jonathan1683

Thanks, guys I am aware of the 3 dot thing, but for some reason, the reports plugin is also not working. These two issues combined are making it a little difficult to review what is missing. I think the old way was better, so you can see missing ones and upcoming ones within the series without pressing that button I don't even think it's available on the Apple TV which we all use primarily, I don't use a browser other than for administration. I use that function all the time and I am sad to see it go. It's hitting me more since it has been gone so long. I have been waiting for the update, but I don't have a way to figure it out while we wait for it. I also don't know of any performance issues with emby and I have a 63TB server. Hopefully, it can be a toggle in the future. Thank you :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2