Turn on Missing Episodes

gjviii
Go to solution Solved by Carlo,

Junglejim
7 minutes ago, Jonathan1683 said:

Thanks, guys I am aware of the 3 dot thing, but for some reason, the reports plugin is also not working. These two issues combined are making it a little difficult to review what is missing. I think the old way was better, so you can see missing ones and upcoming ones within the series without pressing that button I don't even think it's available on the Apple TV which we all use primarily, I don't use a browser other than for administration. I use that function all the time and I am sad to see it go. It's hitting me more since it has been gone so long. I have been waiting for the update, but I don't have a way to figure it out while we wait for it. I also don't know of any performance issues with emby and I have a 63TB server. Hopefully, it can be a toggle in the future. Thank you :)

In the web app/windows/android using a different profile to admin.. (Junglejim) I can view missing episodes via the 3dot.. From ATV app I cant do that as of yet. Maybe the other apps will catch up?

• Facepalm 1

Junglejim
On 05/02/2024 at 06:45, serband said:

Also another bad User Experience call is that you have to go an extra mile and toggle the Upcoming Episodes in order to see them. Wow, I think who planned these, didn't think clearly that this is a bad bad design! 👎

So disappointed!

image.thumb.png.e684fe4ac6526651be602dbe01424492.png

For me the biggest mistake was to forget about the "Upcoming" tab in the TvShows library.. 😆

On 2/4/2024 at 3:15 PM, serband said:

Also another bad User Experience call is that you have to go an extra mile and toggle the Upcoming Episodes in order to see them. Wow, I think who planned these, didn't think clearly that this is a bad bad design! 👎

So disappointed!

image.thumb.png.e684fe4ac6526651be602dbe01424492.png

@serbandyou still have the dedicated Upcoming tab in your TV library.

I think Missing and Upcoming are two different things, and many would object to seeing Unaired episodes in a missing list. For instance, it's hard to really call it missing if it hasn't aired yet and isn't even possible to get.

• Agree 1

Junglejim

The Statistics plugin does a great job of locating missing episodes. Just select User-based show progress and check the collected tab. From there you can select the link to the tvshow and view missing episodes. I find this method easier and a more direct way of dealing with missing episodes.

• Facepalm 1

mallison01

It looks like we will have to try and make our own plugin to bring this back. This is not just an admin thing. As soon as this went away i had people asking what happened. And when you are a paying user and the software had a feature that many people use and then it is taken away, then yes that is a regression, that is just fact. Yes it has been moved and can be found in other ways, but a lot of people do not want to go digging for it. Yes they say it was for performance, however i can not see any difference what so ever and i have well over 20TB of content.

It is very handy to be able to see that an episode is missing in line with the rest and to see the upcoming in line. Digging in a menu to see the missing and then having to pay attention to episode numbers sucks.

And back to performance, it was always an option for the admin to turn on for the library and then the user to turn on. So put a note there saying it could impact performance and let us have the option.

This 4.8 update has been very disappointing, not only because of this feature but i am having to run beta versions of the client apps to get things to work right and even then i am having random crashes of the clients. And have had other issues that i have had to address.

• Like 1

mallison01
6 hours ago, Junglejim said:

The Statistics plugin does a great job of locating missing episodes. Just select User-based show progress and check the collected tab. From there you can select the link to the tvshow and view missing episodes. I find this method easier and a more direct way of dealing with missing episodes.

I think you are missing the whole point of us that are complaining about the change here.

I and others i know do not use emby to manage any of the content, only to watch and view and see whats up next as a user experience.

I would be pretty surprised to find out many or any people use emby to manage their content once they have a decent collection.

Emby is not really for managing content except for the meta data and maybe grabbing artwork. There are other apps that are free that are great for that.

I have Movies, TV Shows, Audio books, Home photos and videos, music, live TV and recordings. Now it does manage recordings and does a pretty good job there.

But all the rest are managed by other software, including subtitles.

If someone does not like the feature or you feel like its a performance issue, then turn it off for your environment, or if you see it for a admin feature then fine, use it that way.

The big deal was it was a feature several people like and we had for a long time and it was "taken away", yes you can dig for it and yes its going to be in the meta data browser but its not the same.

As i mentioned earlier, i have users that will never find that and obviously those users will not have access to the statistics plugin or the metadata browser.

So for us all we can do is voice our opinion on why we want it and think it needs to come back, and if we cant convince emby to revert then i guess we will have to make a plugin if possible to bring it back, or go to another platform.

• Agree 6

serband
1 hour ago, mallison01 said:

I think you are missing the whole point of us that are complaining about the change here.

I and others i know do not use emby to manage any of the content, only to watch and view and see whats up next as a user experience.

I would be pretty surprised to find out many or any people use emby to manage their content once they have a decent collection.

Emby is not really for managing content except for the meta data and maybe grabbing artwork. There are other apps that are free that are great for that.

I have Movies, TV Shows, Audio books, Home photos and videos, music, live TV and recordings. Now it does manage recordings and does a pretty good job there.

If someone does not like the feature or you feel like its a performance issue, then turn it off for your environment, or if you see it for a admin feature then fine, use it that way.

The big deal was it was a feature several people like and we had for a long time and it was "taken away", yes you can dig for it and yes its going to be in the meta data browser but its not the same.

As i mentioned earlier, i have users that will never find that and obviously those users will not have access to the statistics plugin or the metadata browser.

So for us all we can do is voice our opinion on why we want it and think it needs to come back, and if we cant convince emby to revert then i guess we will have to make a plugin if possible to bring it back, or go to another platform.

Well said! I am with you and all the users that need this feature back.

👍

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Junglejim
On 27/02/2024 at 01:32, mallison01 said:

I think this thread is named wrong! You seem to be upset about not seeing the "upcoming" episodes in the library not "missing" episodes. They are two different things. Upcoming episodes can't be missing they don't exist yet. If your not a server admin then for sure your not interested in missing episodes and getting your library sorted out. You just want to see the fake thumb image for a episode in the latest season that doesn't exist yet?

• Facepalm 1

serband
12 minutes ago, Junglejim said:

I think this thread is named wrong! You seem to be upset about not seeing the "upcoming" episodes in the library not "missing" episodes. They are two different things. Upcoming episodes can't be missing they don't exist yet. If your not a server admin then for sure your not interested in missing episodes and getting your library sorted out. You just want to see the fake thumb image for a episode in the latest season that doesn't exist yet?

We want all the old features rolled back because they made much more sense than the new user experience changes.
This is 100% certain!
👍

• Like 2

Junglejim
9 minutes ago, serband said:

We want all the old features rolled back because they made much more sense than the new user experience changes.
This is 100% certain!
👍

Rolled back. 😆 Yeah good luck with that!

Trevor68

Bwahahahaha deleted post eh, without so much as a by your leave, 

lame Luke lame. 

Also there is no "solution" the solution was removed by Emby, permanently. 

Edited by Trevor68
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Trevor68
On 14/02/2024 at 17:26, Luke said:

This is in the beta server now and will be backported to an Emby Server 4.8.2 maintenance update.

But why would I ever want to open a "metadata manager" thingy? I have never had to in 10 plus years, why make me now???

I simply want to see them in the season, just like always thanks. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

serband

Dev team please don't kill the best features that Emby have, and this is one of the reasons I have payed for using Emby, because you guys added cool features as Upcoming and Missing episodes in the library/season and I love the IMDB showing up for Movies and TV Shows, plus other good features, and good codecs. 

However, if these missing upcoming feature will go aways, I believe users will go away too. 

• Like 4

filecore

An interesting discussion thread. I'll admit, I'm with the crowd here - I don't want to have to Be An Admin for one more thing, I want to just fire and forget. Seeing missing episodes in context of a show or season was useful to let me passively know that I'm missing an episode. Without it, I'm not sure if the season is continuing (I'm on S02E07, is there one more episode coming or is it 12 episodes?) and also it's easy to just press play on the next and skip a missing episode without this being shown clearly in the regular UI (if E04 is missing, it might be E07 before I get so confused by the plot that I realise something hasn't worked out). Allowing this as a user option should be extremely good, as it used to be, or at least toggling it on and off via the context menu at the user's discretion would be something at least. Having to proactively take several additional steps just to see if I'm even missing anything in the first place is an activity that I don't have time or energy for. I'm not providing this as a commercial service for hundreds of users. I'm just a guy who likes to watch stuff with the family.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Dickp

I have the opposite problem - I can't turn the inline "Missing Episode" placeholders off!

I have been recently experimenting with using an external scraper and having Emby just read from .nfo files.  All of a sudden, I'm seeing those "missing" episode placeholder thumbnails in the season list.  Those missing items will never be added, I only use Emby for videos ripped from DVD and blu-ray.

I'm running server 4.8.3.0 on a Synology NAS, and the client app v2.1.10g is on AndroidTV.  I don't know if it is the scraping or the version updates of both server and client that triggered the problem, both happened around the same time.

8 hours ago, Dickp said:

I have the opposite problem - I can't turn the inline "Missing Episode" placeholders off!

I have been recently experimenting with using an external scraper and having Emby just read from .nfo files.  All of a sudden, I'm seeing those "missing" episode placeholder thumbnails in the season list.  Those missing items will never be added, I only use Emby for videos ripped from DVD and blu-ray.

I'm running server 4.8.3.0 on a Synology NAS, and the client app v2.1.10g is on AndroidTV.  I don't know if it is the scraping or the version updates of both server and client that triggered the problem, both happened around the same time.

Hi. Turn off the option to show extended media information in the app settings. 

Dickp
8 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi. Turn off the option to show extended media information in the app settings. 

I already searched everywhere in the app settings, but couldn't find that.  Could you let me know where that is?

EDIT: never mind, "extended media information."  I always wondered what that was...

Edited by Dickp

Dickp
1 hour ago, Dickp said:

I already searched everywhere in the app settings, but couldn't find that.  Could you let me know where that is?

EDIT: never mind, "extended media information."  I always wondered what that was...

Too late to edit again, but just to confirm that turning off that setting hides the missing episode placeholders.  Thanks for the hint that fixes my problem!

Shame it also turns off the nice video format badges, but I'll just have to live with that.

• 2 weeks later...
Mortaelis

This is a bad change. Having the missing episodes in the UI made life easy. This "new" change is bad. its so bad I had to google to find this thread to even figure out where in the world to find missing episodes which is a feature that has worked for years. Why make such a horrible change and then hide the feature where nobody would think to look? Watching TV should not involve frustration.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Gilgamesh_48
18 minutes ago, Mortaelis said:

This is a bad change. Having the missing episodes in the UI made life easy. This "new" change is bad. its so bad I had to google to find this thread to even figure out where in the world to find missing episodes which is a feature that has worked for years. Why make such a horrible change and then hide the feature where nobody would think to look? Watching TV should not involve frustration.

I mostly agree that it was a bad change but it does not impact TV viewing at all. All it effects is the ability to know what is not available. I have found that it is very useable in the form that it is in it just has to be used differently.
As far as the feature being where it is hard to find, that is mostly true but there is not a place that would be better for the purpose than what has been chosen. The purpose I allude to is simply knowing what is missing. While browsing is a location that seems to make sense but I do not think it really does for most people. 

My usage, which is probably very different from yours, does not really need to know what is missing when I am watching but it does when I am trying to perform library maintenance.

BTW: I am 95% sure it will not get changed back so I think it is better to learn how to use what we have than complaining about it. 

• Like 1

DUG

no sir, i don't like it!

We use Android TV's 99% of the time, and it was a nice little nod that you missed an episode. to be browsing though a show you hadn't seen for a while and notice the little "Missing" icon. There does not appear to be an option to view missing episodes at all in the android app.

I Like the "upcoming" tab and the view that comes up when you go into a TV show.

• Agree 1

rbjtech

Lets all be honest here - the replacement implementation of 'missing episodes' has been poorly though out.

If you don't know that an episode is missing, then why would you select the function to find out ?   That is, afterall, it's primary function, to NOTIFY you the episode is missing .. 😎

The only useful function this new 'feature' 🤔 provides, is if you have an suspicion there may be an epsiode missing ('where is the finale ? etc) then you can use the function to confirm.

As an option, I don't get why any missing episodes cannot be queried 'live' if required.   A little logic on the back end as part of the scheduled scan can eliminate the completed shows, so you would just need to query current shows ..

I get there was a technical reason for doing this - but removing a core feature and not replacing it with a suitable alternative has been a backwards step.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

Junglejim
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

Lets all be honest here - the replacement implementation of 'missing episodes' has been poorly though out.

If you don't know that an episode is missing, then why would you select the function to find out ?   That is, afterall, it's primary function, to NOTIFY you the episode is missing .. 😎

The only useful function this new 'feature' 🤔 provides, is if you have an suspicion there may be an epsiode missing ('where is the finale ? etc) then you can use the function to confirm.

As an option, I don't get why any missing episodes cannot be queried 'live' if required.   A little logic on the back end as part of the scheduled scan can eliminate the completed shows, so you would just need to query current shows ..

I get there was a technical reason for doing this - but removing a core feature and not replacing it with a suitable alternative has been a backwards step.

Nice comment! I think the main reason people are getting upset is the view of up coming episodes (not yet aired and not missing) within the current season? Sure missing episodes within the previous season you are watching are also affected.. hmm should that be up to the admin to look after..? As a client user you have no action there anyway.

As for technical, how quick is the scan for the tv lib now.. 👍

If we could schedule this process as you said, it would be a start..

Edited by Junglejim

scb99
2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

I wouldn't want this info put back in the db, it was a total mess, you end up trying to reduplicate tvdb (or whichever) inside emby, and tvdb is already an inconsistent mess, the whole thing was a disaster and I'm glad it's gone, it might have been a nice function to have but it was a misbegotten concept.

Also every time new episodes are added to a series (be it on the end or to fill holes), EITHER in your Emby library OR in TV DB, the info needs to be updated across the whole series. Further, on occasion the whole running order of a series in TVDB can be updated, and then the whole Emby Library becomes out of sync. TVDB is not a static thing which you can one-time update into Emby, it's a moving target.

If it's not in the db, then in general it's going to be some kind of on demand function and notification such as what you have now.

The server doing live queries during playback might be possible.  

Edited by scb99

serpi
2 hours ago, Junglejim said:

Nice comment! I think the main reason people are getting upset is the view of up coming episodes (not yet aired and not missing) within the current season?

For me, the "missong episodes" was more important.

As I live in germany and many series are foreign (fo example Anime or US series), they come often here later, so I can see, how many episodes still missing (upcoming is also nice, of course).

Also, If I now delete a series, because I watched it, but then there comes a new season later and I put only this new sesason in the library, this will not be anymore in the "Next Up" line on the homescreen. This worked before 4.8, because missing episodes where added into the library (and watched status was kept).