PGS/DVDSUB subtitles causing playback stutters

dnmoka
Go to solution Solved by dnmoka,

On 9/26/2022 at 2:02 AM, Mkilbride said:

This issue is not fixed for me. Not at all. It happens whenever subtitles come up, the heavier the worse it is. It's insane.

I was watching Eighty Six Blu-rays, which have lots of music scenes with karaoke subtitles. This caused insane stuttering /  hitching ect. The final, epic scene of the season was pretty ruined.

I booted up Plex, of which I am a free user of, so no HW accelleration or anything...and it just plays, perfectly. No drops or stuttering.

This is really making me regret buying Emby Premiere, for this to still be an issue for over a year now.  Almost since I got Emby.  It happens even with ASS / SSA. Yet Plex seemingly struggles not at all?

NVIDIA Shield Pro 2019, latest emby Betas, 5900X / 3080 Ti system. 32GB 3733MHZ RAM. I feel like this should not be an issue. If it's not an issue for Jellyfin, or Plex, why is it still one for Emby?

Hi, can you try the latest version of our standard android app? You'll have to sideload it onto the Shield. Thanks !

• 7 months later...
TecEmbryo

The problem is still acute. Will there be a solution at some point?
When I select "And(DVDSUB)", playback stalls, a loading screen runs, then playback resumes for a short time, then playback stalls, it reloads, runs, and so on.
Is this still being fixed or have you given up?

3 hours ago, TecEmbryo said:

The problem is still acute. Will there be a solution at some point?
When I select "And(DVDSUB)", playback stalls, a loading screen runs, then playback resumes for a short time, then playback stalls, it reloads, runs, and so on.
Is this still being fixed or have you given up?

@TecEmbryo

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

pwhodges

Image subs are always intensive, and doing karaoke with them seems a bit misguided to me.  It might be better to get them burnt in, either by the server (might require 4.8) or offline in advance using HandBrake.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
Mkilbride

Yeah I just started watching anime again and when image based subtitles hit the screen, things go to shit. I've even had Emby crash. Meanwhile Plex plays them flawlessly without a single hitch.

I really don't like Plex, but I see no alternative...years later, still an issue!

What is this 4.8 option to burn them in?

Edited by Mkilbride

dnmoka

The problem with image based subs stutters is definitely fixed as you can see by previous posts. Anime and Karaoke a lot of times uses SSA subs which are text based and is a seperate topic since they use a particular format which isn't widely supported like srt and others. But I'd like emby to support them properly as well like plex did around a year ago.

Mkilbride
2 minutes ago, dnmoka said:

The problem with image based subs stutters is definitely fixed as you can see by previous posts. Anime and Karaoke a lot of times uses SSA subs which are text based and is a seperate topic since they use a particular format which isn't widely supported like srt and others. But I'd like emby to support them properly as well like plex did around a year ago.

Plex has supported them for almost a decade now.

dnmoka
3 minutes ago, Mkilbride said:

Plex has supported them for almost a decade now.

Nope, only since version 9.7.0 from august last year, you can see the threads in the forums and I remember myself how they didn't work up until this version. Anyway i think it should be a different thread if there isn't one already since it's a totally different problem.

dnmoka
35 minutes ago, dnmoka said:

Nope, only since version 9.7.0 from august last year, you can see the threads in the forums and I remember myself how they didn't work up until this version. Anyway i think it should be a different thread if there isn't one already since it's a totally different problem.

Actually, with a quick test on emby android mobile app ASS subtitles seems to work just fine without any visible stutters, so probably best to sideload the mobile app and use the TV layout since they haven't updated the android tv app in a while (seems like they want to merge them).

Edited by dnmoka
  • Thanks 1

TecEmbryo
On 5/24/2023 at 7:29 PM, Luke said:

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

Sorry, I have not dealt with the subject for a long time.
I also do not know which example I should upload for this.
It is so, that with picture based subtitles - DVDSUB - the video stops, jerks, short playback etc..
If I convert this DVDSUB to .srt the subtitles work.

Since I am unfortunately constantly dependent on subtitles, this is an annoying thing.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/6/2023 at 11:16 AM, TecEmbryo said:

Sorry, I have not dealt with the subject for a long time.
I also do not know which example I should upload for this.
It is so, that with picture based subtitles - DVDSUB - the video stops, jerks, short playback etc..
If I convert this DVDSUB to .srt the subtitles work.

Since I am unfortunately constantly dependent on subtitles, this is an annoying thing.

Hi @TecEmbryoplease provide all log files that were written to during the time of the problem:

Thanks !

• Like 1

On 6/30/2023 at 6:24 AM, TecEmbryo said:

I have send a answer on your PM.

Hi, the browser does not support DVDSub format subtitles, therefore these require burn in with transcoding, and it looks like your server just can't do that fast enough to be playable. For better performance, try one of the following:

• Disabling the subtitles
  • Using plain text format subtitles such as external .srt
  • Using an Emby app that can direct play this format without transcoding, such as Android, iOS, Windows Desktop, etc.
  • Like 1

TecEmbryo
On 7/3/2023 at 5:52 AM, Luke said:

Hi, the browser does not support DVDSub format subtitles, therefore these require burn in with transcoding, and it looks like your server just can't do that fast enough to be playable. For better performance, try one of the following:

• Disabling the subtitles
  • Using plain text format subtitles such as external .srt
  • Using an Emby app that can direct play this format without transcoding, such as Android, iOS, Windows Desktop, etc.

Ok, that sounds logical for the browser. It would explain why it works every now and then after several attempts.
 However, it should not explain why it works on my NVIDIA Shield 2013 .

The source is on a Synology 920+, the transfer rate is 100 Mbits, and the Emby Android app is used for playback.

9 hours ago, TecEmbryo said:

Ok, that sounds logical for the browser. It would explain why it works every now and then after several attempts.
 However, it should not explain why it works on my NVIDIA Shield 2013 .

The source is on a Synology 920+, the transfer rate is 100 Mbits, and the Emby Android app is used for playback.

Hi, yes it does explain it. The Emby android app can play those subtitles without transcoding.

TecEmbryo
17 hours ago, Luke said:

The Emby android app can play those subtitles without transcoding.

which only makes her stutter. So it doesn't work with the app either, I just tried a few examples.

13 hours ago, TecEmbryo said:

which only makes her stutter. So it doesn't work with the app either, I just tried a few examples.

What version number of the app did you try?

• Like 1

TecEmbryo
6 hours ago, Luke said:

What version number of the app did you try?

Emby APP: 2.0.83g
Emby Server: 4.8.0.39 Beta

TecEmbryo
18 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Ok I tried it and also used the better Shield 2019 for this.
Loaded was: am64-v8a apk.
Again no improvement.

BTW: The APP itself has me more excited than the Android app because it has more features, but unfortunately it doesn't run stable in general. It keeps throwing me out.

4 hours ago, TecEmbryo said:

Ok I tried it and also used the better Shield 2019 for this.
Loaded was: am64-v8a apk.
Again no improvement.

BTW: The APP itself has me more excited than the Android app because it has more features, but unfortunately it doesn't run stable in general. It keeps throwing me out.

What do you mean by that?

TecEmbryo
On 7/11/2023 at 7:01 PM, Luke said:

What do you mean by that?

Ok, I've now installed 3.3.18 and left a message in the thread, where a previous query was moved. The DVDSUBs are now often ignored, i.e. although selected, they do not appear. And if they are accepted, it jerks, as before. Maybe there will be a solution someday,

13 hours ago, TecEmbryo said:

Ok, I've now installed 3.3.18 and left a message in the thread, where a previous query was moved. The DVDSUBs are now often ignored, i.e. although selected, they do not appear. And if they are accepted, it jerks, as before. Maybe there will be a solution someday,

@TecEmbryo