PGS/DVDSUB subtitles causing playback stutters

dnmoka
Go to solution Solved by dnmoka,

dnmoka

As few other people reported, i noticed lately a lot of playback stuttering, probably after the last the update which mentions implementing internal rendering of SSA/PGS/VOBSUB/DVDSUB.

After reading on this forum and doing my own testing it seems to be a problem with image format subs particularly since srt and other text based subs (like ASS) don't have this issue for me.

It also causes audio sync issues in one show (It's Always Sunny) with DVDSUB.

I'm using Nvidia Shield connected to AVR which passthrough the signal to an LG C1. Sent logs via the app on my Nvidia Shield around 1:05 ET, username dnmoka (although it is not a local server) while playing Wonder Woman 1984 4k (Didn't found resolution or hdr to matter)

It's very distracting for me and make playback with PGS subs (which is the way i prefer usually) unplayable so hopefully it can get fixed quickly. I also joined the beta in the meantime.

Edit: still not fixed in version 2.0.31g

Edit: After some more testing, disabling Refresh Rate Switching (which is disabled by default) fixes the issue as long as the Shield is set to 60/59 Hz. If i try to set it to 23.976 (like the movie) the stutter is back. Also it doesn't seem to affect 25/50/60p content after some limited testing.

Edited by dnmoka
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, dnmoka said:

After some more testing, disabling Refresh Rate Switching (which is disabled by default) fixes the issue as long as the Shield is set to 60/59 Hz. If i try to set it to 23.976 (like the movie) the stutter is back. Also it doesn't seem to affect 25/50/60p content after some limited testing.

That's great info.  Thanks.

dnmoka
4 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi @dnmoka, would you mind sideloading the standard Emby Android app onto your Shield and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks !

So i tried and it seems the same (stutters with PGS subs, no stutter without/other subs) but interestingly even when disabling Refresh Rate Switching there still are some stutter although definitely less. Going back to the regular Android TV app (after uninstalling it for the Android-Mobile version) i can also notice some micro-stutter with PGS subs and Refresh Rate Switching turned off but only sometimes, and sometimes it might be more noticeable than others.. so at this point it's really hard to tell without debugging tools but what's seems for sure is that without PGS subs it feels the most consistently smooth experience relatively

Edited by dnmoka

What does Emby show for the Media Info section of this video?
You can find this info at the bottom of the detail screen.

Thanks

dnmoka

I mostly tested on 4k bluray remuxes so around 60mbps, 23.976 fps, HDR10 or Dolby Vision and Dolby Truehd Atmos but i also checked some 1080p remuxes and it was the same. Everything in direct play connected with ethernet cable with 300mbps bandwidth minimum.

vaise

Got this also - watching episode of Time, and wife cant understand the accents, so I download subs, and then stutters and unwatchable.

1 hour ago, vaise said:

Got this also - watching episode of Time, and wife cant understand the accents, so I download subs, and then stutters and unwatchable.

Try and use the subtitle downloader built into Emby which will pull down text based SRT files.

vaise

That was what I was doing.  I got this issue after downloading.  It may not be related however as I then restarted the shieldTV and all was good then.  Likely not be related to this post at all.  

On 7/19/2021 at 2:08 AM, dnmoka said:

As few other people reported, i noticed lately a lot of playback stuttering, probably after the last the update which mentions implementing internal rendering of SSA/PGS/VOBSUB/DVDSUB.

After reading on this forum and doing my own testing it seems to be a problem with image format subs particularly since srt and other text based subs (like ASS) don't have this issue for me.

It also causes audio sync issues in one show (It's Always Sunny) with DVDSUB.

I'm using Nvidia Shield connected to AVR which passthrough the signal to an LG C1. Sent logs via the app on my Nvidia Shield around 1:05 ET, username dnmoka (although it is not a local server) while playing Wonder Woman 1984 4k (Didn't found resolution or hdr to matter)

It's very distracting for me and make playback with PGS subs (which is the way i prefer usually) unplayable so hopefully it can get fixed quickly. I also joined the beta in the meantime.

Edit: still not fixed in version 2.0.31g

Edit: After some more testing, disabling Refresh Rate Switching (which is disabled by default) fixes the issue as long as the Shield is set to 60/59 Hz. If i try to set it to 23.976 (like the movie) the stutter is back. Also it doesn't seem to affect 25/50/60p content after some limited testing.

Hi, we're looking into this. Thanks for reporting.

• 3 weeks later...
jrwalte

Since the below updates I received on Aug 3 I haven't had any issues. I've watched several movies with PGS subtitles since.

Server to 4.6.4.0 from 4.5.4.0 and app to 2.0.33g from 2.0.30g

• 2 months later...
On 8/16/2021 at 6:13 AM, Mkilbride said:

Man I hope a fix is coming soon. It's getting impossible to ignore.

@Mkilbride are you still having an issue with this?

Mkilbride

I still am, yes. Seems mostly related to anime pgs subtitles, but I've had some random results where one time the frame rate of a movie slowed down to like half speed, was strange.

Edited by Mkilbride

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/12/2021 at 5:00 PM, Luke said:

Can you try sideloading the latest version of this and let us know how it compares? Thanks.

Sorry for the late reply, i tried the latest mobile version again and the stutters are still there, as well as on the latest android tv beta app. Would appreciate if you would fix it asap as right now it's keeping me from using emby a lot.

• 3 months later...
libaroba

What's the status on this? It is the only thing preventing me from buying the Emby. Searching SRT subtitles that are timed correctly is a pain (since almost all subtitles available are for older releases) and OCR from retail PGS is worse. I have bought yesterday that stupidly expensive Nvidia Shield just for PGS support since LG app has none so I don't have to take time to search proper subtitles for my UHD remuxes anymore. I was really dissapointed to notice in the first seconds of a movie that something is not right and after searching got to read this post from July. I would like to just RIP disc and watch without hunting for SRT. Everywhere I have read that PGS is just an bitmap image and I can't see what is so complicated with parsing the image data and adding it to the data in the frame buffer. I am not familiar with Android development, but is this a bug in Emby, some library or Android itself? I.e., not adjusting the subtitle timing with video frequency and pulling frame from buffer that might be displayed right away, adding PGS data to the frame way to slowly, meanwhile the frame buffer was updated with a new frame but we are overwriting it with the previous frame + PGS and therefore one video frame is displayed twice?

1 hour ago, libaroba said:

What's the status on this? It is the only thing preventing me from buying the Emby. Searching SRT subtitles that are timed correctly is a pain (since almost all subtitles available are for older releases) and OCR from retail PGS is worse. I have bought yesterday that stupidly expensive Nvidia Shield just for PGS support since LG app has none so I don't have to take time to search proper subtitles for my UHD remuxes anymore. I was really dissapointed to notice in the first seconds of a movie that something is not right and after searching got to read this post from July. I would like to just RIP disc and watch without hunting for SRT. Everywhere I have read that PGS is just an bitmap image and I can't see what is so complicated with parsing the image data and adding it to the data in the frame buffer. I am not familiar with Android development, but is this a bug in Emby, some library or Android itself? I.e., not adjusting the subtitle timing with video frequency and pulling frame from buffer that might be displayed right away, adding PGS data to the frame way to slowly, meanwhile the frame buffer was updated with a new frame but we are overwriting it with the previous frame + PGS and therefore one video frame is displayed twice?

HI, we are actively working on it. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

So I have this issue as well - the stutter/glitches on my Samsung TV making a few shows (mainly anime) unwatchable. The strange thing is, it works properly on all other devices. Works fine on Samsung Android Mobile, Works Fine on Chromecast and even on my Macbook, but as soon as I try and watch it on my TV it fails to play properly. Some anime with mainly SRT/ASS subs and for other shows its MKV files with Subs in Multiple languages. I will be upgrading the Samsung App later today, hopefully the issue is fixed, if not I will update the post. 

Running Emby Server 4.7.0.28 on Synology NAS / 64bit / DSM 7

Mkilbride

Man I really hope it's fixed soon, I've been using Plex to watch anime, and while it's not bad...I just don't care for using Plex.

31 minutes ago, madnz said:

on my Samsung TV

Hi.  Exactly which app are you running on your TV?  Is it Android or the Samsung OS?