What's the current status of Android Server (Shield) reading/writing to NAS share?

cnstarz

cnstarz

All of my media is stored on a Synology NAS. In fact, I currently have Emby running on my Synology NAS, but the Shield has stronger hardware so I predict running Emby server on the Shield should result in smoother playback of 4k content and transcoded content.  But I don't want to spend hours setting up Emby server on a Shield and troubleshooting share connectivity problems if there are already known issues with the Shield reading/writing to NAS shares.

Does Android Server running on the Shield have any problem reading from or writing to NAS shares, or are there any workarounds that are necessary for it to work?  I really want to avoid using SMBv1 if at all possible.

Hi, you simply mount the SMB path to a local share using the Shield software, then you can add the local share path into Emby Server. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

sephrat

I had the exact setup you described for some time: Emby server on Shield connected to a Syno DS213j through SMB.

I'm not sure what your SMBv1 issue is though. AFAIK the SMBv1 problematic with the Shield is only as a server (if you want to access the internal storage of the Shield through a computer), not as a client (accessing your NAS).

Apart from the pain of manually updating the apk every now and then, it wasn't much of a time sink to set up.

It worked quite well although the CPU of the Shield isn't quite as responsive (navigation/reactivity wise) as that of a proper computer when both the player and the server are active. To be honest I only noticed that when I upgraded to a proper server (because of CPU transcode such as audio and subtitles that the Shield can't handle).

What's your NAS model? Unless you have a high-end product (like DS918+), you will definitely see an improvement from the NAS setup. Give it a try!

Edited by sephrat