Is QNAP TS-201 Sufficient to run Emby Server

MrTechnic

MrTechnic

I am looking (for a friend) at a NAS with one function to store and serve videos to a Sony Android TV. At first I thought it was best to do this using a basic Netgear ReadyNAS's DLNA server. Then I thought about Kodi before realising that QNAP NAS's support Emby Server and would prefer that (I have a MediaPC running Emby and Emby for Windows Media Centre). My friend would like to spend as little as possible so I was looking at the TS-212P but I was not sure if this would be powerful enough to run Emby Server. Video will be mostly SD and 720P stuff. Can anyone share their experience with this? Or any advice on likely performance on this unit?

Edited by Astranomical

Diedrich

You could stick with the HTPC route and go with a RAID1 mirror with a AMD APU (I'm running a A8-3870K and it's the lowest APU I would recommend). Or you can look at a low-end i3 that supports ECC RAM and go with FreeNAS but that would need to be paired with a RaspberryPi, Chromecast, etc.

Edited by dvgmar

• 3 weeks later...
OddbOd

There is no Emby server build supporting the TS-212P as it's processor doesn't support the ARMv7 instruction set.

There is a build of Plex available which is a better solution for low-end hardware but unless you're intending to setup a full-blown media download, storage and server box why bother with a NAS/Media Server at all? Your friend's requirements are so low you could simply install Kodi on the TV itself (the Android version runs perfectly well on most TVs) and use a USB HDD or network share for his media.

Realistically an x86 based NAS is required for Emby regardless of what vendor you buy it from, low-end NAS hardware hurts the performance of it's more advanced features, especially realtime transcoding.