One of my files won't play

crusher11
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

crusher11

This is completely off topic and isn't helping me in any way? Nobody has provided any actual help, I got asked for logs a month ago and then the thread got completely forgotten about. Now it's an argument about something completely unrelated. 

• Sad 1

vdatanet
22 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

This is completely off topic and isn't helping me in any way? Nobody has provided any actual help, I got asked for logs a month ago and then the thread got completely forgotten about. Now it's an argument about something completely unrelated. 

Can you share a sample? Can you provide the media info?

4 hours ago, ebr said:

Pretty sure they are not identical in structure.  Based on what you are seeing, my guess is that some header or index information is not where it is supposed to be according to spec.  When we direct stream it, that information is re-written in the expected place.

Exo is not very resilient in any deviation from the spec or expected structure of the file.  We have made some improvements in this area but not for everything yet.  If you remux  this file, does it play properly?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

This is completely off topic and isn't helping me in any way? 

If you have one bad file that won't play correctly try to remux it or just replace the file with a different version as it's probably a bad encode.

CBers
2 hours ago, cayars said:

that's just not accurate in the Emby world and has been covered many times already.

Exactly, in the Emby world. 

Should be the same for Emby as it is for Plex and other services, but Emby are creating their own definitions.

No point saying anything else, as we all know who's right and who's wrong. 

Moving on. 

Plex calls these almost the same identical things with one small exception.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/200250387-streaming-media-direct-play-and-direct-stream/

Emby combines what Plex calls Direct Stream + Partially-Transcoded Direct Stream as just "Direct Stream" since they are both light on resources and threy isn't much difference between the two.  

Edited by cayars

crusher11

So a remux does indeed fix the issue. No idea why it worked fine on my LG TV but not the Shield, that seems bizarre. Also no idea how it got screwed up to begin with.

No that's not bizarre at all.  See @ebr's couple of posts (one just a few up) in this thread where he explains why.

• Like 1

FrostByte

I've noticed this same thing with ATV before.  Something bad in the header which it doesn't like and a re mux fixes it even though the same file played fine on my Samsung.  ATV sometimes is more picky about the header info

10 hours ago, crusher11 said:

So a remux does indeed fix the issue

Okay, so that tells us my hypothesis was correct.  We have it on our list to try and make Exo more resilient to "bad" file structures like this.  Google has no interest in it.  Their attitude is that they shouldn't have to work around bad inputs.  We need to try to be a little more forgiving than that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

crusher11

I got a few warnings in MKVToolnix during the remux:

A block was found at timestamp 01:27:50.521000000 for track number 54. However, no headers were found for that track number. The block will be skipped.

A block was found at timestamp 01:27:49.295000000 for track number 91. However, no headers were found for that track number. The block will be skipped.

track 1: This audio track contains 4480 bytes of invalid data which were skipped before timestamp 01:29:10.112000000. The audio/video synchronization may have been lost.

Error in the Matroska file structure at position 8832127060. Resyncing to the next level 1 element.

The last timestamp processed before the error was encountered was 01:29:18.960000000.

Resyncing successful at position 8833645754.

The first cluster timestamp after the resync is 01:29:19.660000000.

Error in the Matroska file structure at position 8862732628. Resyncing to the next level 1 element.

The last timestamp processed before the error was encountered was 01:29:32.860000000.

Resyncing successful at position 8950977461.

The first cluster timestamp after the resync is 01:30:15.520000000.

Error in the Matroska file structure at position 8956144222. Resyncing to the next level 1 element.

The last timestamp processed before the error was encountered was 01:30:17.520000000.

Still resyncing at position 9253796009.

Resync failed: no valid Matroska level 1 element found.