Out of network connection problems since update

GrumpyTrucker

GrumpyTrucker

After updating to the newest version of the Emby Server I have had nothing but trouble connecting to my server on my Mac from an out of home connection. To start with auto port forwarding stopped working so I had to set it up manually, now I can connect but not stay connected. I connect, start playing a song from my music library, then barely a minute or so later playback stops and any attempt to reconnect gets a -cannot connect to server,  check it is running and try again" error. If I turn off cellular data then turn it back in again I can reconnect. For another minute then I do the dance again. It's almost like the app is losing internet every time I move between cell towers. 

I'm assuming this is a server issue rather than an app issue since it only started after updating the server.

Anyone any ideas for a fix for this?

Hi, To me that sounds more like a client network issue if resetting the client network allows reconnecting.

Have you tried connecting to your server remotely from other than a cellular network?

GrumpyTrucker

@cayars

To be honest I've been having a lot of little issues since updating to the latest server build. This one is the biggest though.

A little more info as I"ve been experimenting. I use a custom domain for DDNS. When nothing was working I tried logging from a browser, with the same result. I was just being asked to select a server all the time. Then I tried connecting using my public IP and 8096 and I connected just fine. I went into the settings and removed the custom domain from the Network section and everything started connecting again. I am still getting occasional drops where restarting the mobile data connection is needed but at those times I am in areas of weak signal. Before it was dropping constantly.

I am finding the server slower to start up and respond to apps even on my home network too, to the point I often have to quit the app (phone, FireTV) and relaunch to get it to reconnect to the server cleanly.

That still sounds like network issues causing issues or contributing to them.

If you haven't ran a vacuum on your database in a while this might be a good time to do that.  Let us know if you know how to do this or not and we can provide instructions.

I'm a bit confused using a custom domain.  If your using a custom domain you should log in directly to your server using that vs using Emby Connect which will ask you to select a server. So you should have been able to access Emby using http://ddns:port.

We can help you with any of these if needed.

nunu22

Hi !

i have problem with emby connexion from internet (it works from local).

All was working fine (but i don't use external cnx very often). I guess troubles came from after an update.

I have to check deeply several things but :

- I have 2 servers at different location. Problem happens on theses 2 servers

- emby servers are in docker (could it be an issue ?)

- All is working fine on LAN

- Nothing works from external cnx: (Emby Theater, Emby android, Kodi with Embycon), 3 android different devices, 2 emby theaters etc... : message (connexion error).

all ports are correctly redirected etc... (it was working before issues ?! and no modification were made on network settings).

very strange :/

regards

nunu

GrumpyTrucker
On 7/15/2021 at 7:26 PM, cayars said:

That still sounds like network issues causing issues or contributing to them.

If you haven't ran a vacuum on your database in a while this might be a good time to do that.  Let us know if you know how to do this or not and we can provide instructions.

I'm a bit confused using a custom domain.  If your using a custom domain you should log in directly to your server using that vs using Emby Connect which will ask you to select a server. So you should have been able to access Emby using http://ddns:port.

We can help you with any of these if needed.

The custom domain was working absolutely fine before the last server update. Using that domain (let's call it grumpytrucker.ddns for now) with other services/ports like grumpytrucker.ddns:5000 logs into my Synology from a browser just fine but will not stay logged into my Emby server on 8096 for more than a minute or so at a time. Remove the custom domain from the main settings and use PUBLIC-IP-ADDRESS:8096 from a browser all is fine. Just weird that these issues started after the server update. I was just wondering if something MAY have got messed up in there during the update on my end.

I use the app rather than a browser when away from home. And until this update I all I had to do was open the app and because the app was signed into Connect it would always, without fail, connect to my server remotely using - I'm assuming - the main settings network info. It's working exactly like that now, but I'm no longer using the custom domain.

Not heard of doing a vacuum on the database. Bit wary since also in the update a load of tags on songs I had done disappeared too. Vacuuming sounds like it may clean stuff that doesn't need cleaning :o 

A Vaccum is just a database reorganization that can help the database work as fast as it can. It doesn't change data.

What happens if you use your domain and not Emby Connect?  If it fails can you still get to Synology?

Not enough info to go on yet, but it sounds like some type of network issue with domain lookup or similar.