Certain library music files will no longer play on Fire TV app

rewojcik

rewojcik

Some of my library music files will no longer play on my Fire TV apps. They will play on the Emby server on my Windows PC; they will play on the Emby Android apps on my phone and tablet; they used to play on both of my Fire sticks. I have tried clearing the cache on the Fire Stick TV app. That didn't work. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the TV app. That didn't work. Help!

Hi, what kind of device are you using?
What version of the Emby app are you running?

rewojcik

I'm using an Amazon Fire Stick - Software Version OS5.2.7.8 (664657620) - Fire TV Home Version 6242057.1

Emby App for Fire TV Version 2.0.21a

I would suggest trying the latest version of the Amazon Firestick click which can be found here:

rewojcik

Not going to buy another Fire Stick. I have the newest version on another TV and the files won't play there either. I also have a Plex server and the files will play on the Fire Stick Plex app with no problem. Even though I prefer Emby, I'll go back to using Plex instead of buying more equipment.

GrimReaper

@cayars wasn't suggesting you invest in new equipment (some Support he would be 🤭), that was the link to the latest beta Amazon Emby client app for you to try and see whether it brings some improvent for your usage case. 

Edit: https://www.smartdnsproxy.com/news/smart-dns-proxy/three-ways-to-sideload-apps-on-fire-tv-stick-406.aspx

Edited by GrimReaper76
Link
  • Thanks 1

Yes exactly this.  It's at least 10 builds newer than what you're currently running so it would be useful to see if the most recent build of the client app has this issue or not.

• Like 1

rewojcik

So, I thought I was tech savvy, but I have no idea how to update the Emby App on my Fire Stick using the link you sent me.

GrimReaper

Hence the link with 3 methods, so you could pick one that suits you most. Assuming you're on your PC now, Cloud method might be the most straightforward one:

1. Download Emby beta .apk from link @cayars posted

2. Upload it to your preferred Cloud service (Dropbox, Google Drive, One Drive...) 

3. Go to your FireStick

4. From Amazon App Store download a file manager that supports cloud storage (X-Plore File Manager etc... ) 

5. Link it to your Cloud service

6. Download and install previously uploaded Emby beta .apk

or

5. Enable WiFi file transfer in File Manager of choice

6. Transfer .apk directly

Edit: Or use Method 2: Apps2Fire to do it from your cell phone. 

Edited by GrimReaper76
Append

Hi.  Also, what exactly does "won't play" mean?  What happens.  What type of files?

rewojcik

The files are M4A files. When I select "play" for a file, the screen flickers once, but the file doesn't play. Occasionally, the screen will go blank, but it usually just flickers once. I don't get any error messages to indicate why the file won't play.

Hi.  Are these in a library of type "Music"?  It sounds like the app is trying to play them as videos...

rewojcik

They are in a library named "Ron's iTunes Music." Other files of the same type on that directory play with no problem. Also, they are on a drive that contains only music files.

Exactly how did you setup the library in Emby?  Did you select the type "Music" for the library?

rewojcik

I have no idea how to create a log from the app. If I'm reading EBR's instructions right, they say to check the "DEBUG Option" on the settings page of the app. I don't see any "DEBUG Option" in the Fire Stick Emby app.

rewojcik

"If you are using Android TV/Fire TV and your problem is with playback, please send the log directly from the playback OSD.
There will be an option on the "cog" menu. "

The above statement was also in the instructions EBR sent. What is the "playback OSD" and where do I find it in the app? Likewise, where is the "cog menu"?

That just means the normal playback screen.  The OSD (on screen display) just means with the menu open over top the media playing back.

Can you show us a picture of your settings/display menu?

This is an example from the web player but it's similar in any Emby Client. The icon circled in red is the cog icon.

image.png.ba22d4e185d6894eb294770010d691b7.png