Music: Where is the year for an album coming from?

MBSki

koopa8840

30 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

I don't think it works that way anymore because most fields are tag driven. Adding the metadata to the tags makes it permanent and available to other apps like Plex. 

At this point we need a response from Luke. @Luke Is Emby reading WM/Year? If not, it seems like it needs to be added unless there's some other way to get the year added in metadata for an album that doesn't exist in MusicBrainz. 

That said, i'm not even getting years for albums that ARE in MusicBrainz. I added the MusicBrainz Album ID for this one yesterday and it's still not showing a year.

image.png.4e85bf6573d1e4fb9071d4b0744a494e.png 

image.png.2ebe5157742fa434a746dedd1a0c3922.png

Do you have a metadata downloader enabled in the library settings? As you can see, I have no Year or Date set via the tag, but I do have the MB tags and Emby's fetchers enabled.

image.thumb.png.75eca863dbffaf4253ca941cb94646a0.png

image.png.e7ad9908f3cdbc01af9c7816a39632c7.png

Vicpa

Must be an issue with wma (?)

This album is not on MB and I just updated it and it displays in emby correctly. flac file

121882471_Screenshot2021-07-13102321.jpg.bacd5ef91d8a1220d4e003729d4cf15a.jpg

sorry I don't have any other suggestions

• Agree 1

MBSki
11 minutes ago, koopa8840 said:

Do you have a metadata downloader enabled in the library settings? As you can see, I have no Year or Date set via the tag, but I do have the MB tags and Emby's fetchers enabled.

image.thumb.png.75eca863dbffaf4253ca941cb94646a0.png

image.png.e7ad9908f3cdbc01af9c7816a39632c7.png

Yep, I have them set. It's weird. Some work, some don't. I just can't figure out why some don't work. I'll delete the year and see if that works.

image.png.4ff18d658294ebbec682231c28be2eae.png

MBSki

The only thing I'm seeing with the ones that don't work are the Album title's have punctuation. 

• Harry Belafonte - All Time Greatest Hits, Volume 1
    • Includes a comma
  • Various Artists - Are You Hip-Hop's Biggest Fan?
    • Question mark at the end of title that can't be added in mp3Tag

So far that's all I've found. Still appears to be an issue with wma though.

MBSki

Here's another one with punctuation that I can't get to load the year. @Luke In the past I've had to change the actual folder name to exactly match the album in order for metadata to populate correctly. Unfortunately, I can't add some punctuation to folder names in Windows. Is that why these aren't loading? Is Emby trying to match exactly WITH punctuation?

image.thumb.png.a6b90d429dae0d97bfedad3a671025bb.png

These are wma files correct?  Is so could you supply an album or two for testing?  I've got no wma music files

MBSki
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

These are wma files correct?  Is so could you supply an album or two for testing?  I've got no wma music files

Sure, I'll send you a PM. BUT, it's quite possible it'll work for you if you load it for the first time. That's why I often have to delete my library and start over. Some things just won't refresh unless I recreate the entire library. 

FrostByte
4 hours ago, mbarylski said:

Sure, I'll send you a PM. BUT, it's quite possible it'll work for you if you load it for the first time. That's why I often have to delete my library and start over. Some things just won't refresh unless I recreate the entire library. 

Couldn't you accomplish the same be moving the album out of your library, running a scan to remove it from your db and then after it's gone re-add the album folder to your library and scan again.  I had to do this with several albums of mine because it wouldn't let me rename the album from something like "Album" to "Album (HDtracks)".  For some reason when it's in the db you can't change certain metadata fields.

MBSki
1 minute ago, FrostByte said:

Couldn't you accomplish the same be moving the album out of your library, running a scan to remove it from your db and then after it's gone re-add the album folder to your library and scan again.  I had to do this with several albums of mine because it wouldn't let me rename the album from something like "Album" to "Album (HDtracks)".  For some reason when it's in the db you can't change certain metadata fields.

Maybe...I can try that. I've got more than 50 that are having an issue though so preferably I'd like to see it fixed. I'll try it at least to see if wma's and punctuation are an issue. I would think Luke could tell us that pretty easily though since he knows how it's coded.

• Like 1

MBSki
3 minutes ago, koopa8840 said:

Use DATE and it should work.

image.png.84d1deb7bd399b359c135f701c21b437.pngimage.png.2db765e429eb1cafb403a309cab4f5fb.png

I already tried that and it doesn't work.

koopa8840

1 hour ago, mbarylski said:

I already tried that and it doesn't work.

What program did you use? In Picard, under the Tag column, Date is actually WM/Year. I tried adding a DATE tag and Picard wouldn't accept it. However, in Mp3Tag, I added a DATE tag, gave it a date, refresh Emby and the year appears.

image.png.cfb1dfd026f5351c5fcff078b11a8cd5.pngimage.png.357a583b038cf3844f90ff92ec849fa6.pngimage.png.2064f16e29df3f6eb3aa568ba6e29885.png

Edited by koopa8840

Happy2Play

Using the Date method works for me also.  Just took a couple minutes for everything to update after I Refreshed the Album.

image.thumb.png.d621d3abbbb76b133b206a17d362bd9b.png

Happy2Play

Changed Date from 2011 to 2000 and Refreshed Album.  Processed in mp3tag to get other ids but you can see the Date field being used.

image.thumb.png.e9fc2aa49380a0026842cb99d59cd870.png

But in the end @Lukeneeds to comment on WM/Year.  Ideally I would think this needs to be added.  But there does appear to be a workaround adding an addition tag Date.

MBSki
21 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Using the Date method works for me also.  Just took a couple minutes for everything to update after I Refreshed the Album.

image.thumb.png.d621d3abbbb76b133b206a17d362bd9b.png

Hmmm, maybe I didn't wait long enough. I'll try again.

koopa8840
32 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

Yea, I did the same thing and it didn't work. Are your files wma?

Yes. If you look in my screenshots, you will see "codec = Windows Media Audio" and "D:\test.wma"

8 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Changed Date from 2011 to 2000 and Refreshed Album.  Processed in mp3tag to get other ids but you can see the Date field being used.

image.thumb.png.e9fc2aa49380a0026842cb99d59cd870.png

But in the end @Lukeneeds to comment on WM/Year.  Ideally I would think this needs to be added.  But there does appear to be a workaround adding an addition tag Date.

I agree. 😉

MBSki
3 minutes ago, koopa8840 said:

Yes. If you look in my screenshots, you will see "codec = Windows Media Audio" and "D:\test.wma"

I agree. 😉

I'm trying it again now. Waiting...waiting... 😄

• Haha 1

MBSki

And there it is!! @koopa8840 You're right! Son of a gun.

Man, what a pain though. How is any user going to figure that out. @Luke Please respond. Looks like there's a gap in the metadata being pulled for wma's. Please fix.

Happy2Play

As mentioned Picard Date=Year / WM/Year and mp3Tag Date is its own DATE field.

MBSki
On 7/13/2021 at 10:55 PM, Happy2Play said:

So, IMO Emby still needs to pull WM/Year. Do you agree? 

• Agree 1

MBSki
On 7/13/2021 at 10:55 PM, Happy2Play said:

Is this just for wma's or for any format?

Vicpa
3 hours ago, mbarylski said:

Is this just for wma's or for any format?

Just wma's.