Music: Where is the year for an album coming from?

MBSki

MBSki

The metadata says 2017, but Emby says 1999. And MusicBrainz says 1984. I didn't have the MusicBrainzID added for album, but the metadata clearly says 2017. Where is Emby getting this year from? 

image.png.f0a64ee179b59c4171f65573141158bf.png

image.png.99e62fed6f053847bb7da77de5144001.png

MBSki

I've got another one. I've got a blank year on this album, and can't figure out how to get the year added from metadata. @cayars How do I get the year added? The album doesn't exist in MusicBrainz so there's no id to add.

image.png.1841da8d3c4fad2137155f0f664f31bb.png

image.png.1f853d632a262dfc2ebf8d46120e7250.png

MBSki

Ok, thanks. Here's the output. Not sure how to read it though. It's got the year in it. Anything in the output that's useful?

image.thumb.png.b182ecb6244b339ab5b78b43074acdeb.png

Happy2Play

I doubt it but @Lukeis WM/Year read? 

Doesn't appear to on my test wma tracks.  And the year would appear to come from MBZ guessing on that album version. 

Edited by Happy2Play

MBSki
8 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

And the year would appear to come from MBZ guessing on that album version. 

The album doesn't exist in MBZ though. If it doesn't exist, shouldn't Emby read the WM/Year?

Happy2Play
Just now, mbarylski said:

The album doesn't exist in MBZ though. If it doesn't exist, shouldn't Emby read the WM/Year?

I don't know how wma tagging compares to other formats their are WM/ vs just Year or originalyear.

So ideally we need a list of tags read by Emby per format.

• Like 1

MBSki
2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

I don't know how wma tagging compares to other formats their are WM/ vs just Year or originalyear.

So ideally we need a list of tags read by Emby per format.

Hmmmm, that's interesting. I'm just using mp3tag to add the year. There's only 1 year field no matter what file format I'm tagging. I didn't know every format actually had a different tag. Thats definitely not ideal.

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, mbarylski said:

Hmmmm, that's interesting. I'm just using mp3tag to add the year. There's only 1 year field no matter what file format I'm tagging. I didn't know every format actually had a different tag. Thats definitely not ideal.

True but the media format is not showing all the same tags via ffprobe as you are seeing in mp3tag.  But would have to research wma tagging.  But I do see some difference vs other formats.

Happy2Play

Just like if I tag in mp3tag some tags are missing in Picard and if tag in Picard they show as missing in mp3tag.  Easy Tag can not read wma at all.

MBZ tagging showing in mp3tag but not in Picard, so there is a defect some where for WMA.

tagging.thumb.jpg.9e37fafc0e4dcbe9a7cb46958e80468a.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play

MBSki

Wow, that's messed up! Thanks for digging into it. I hope Luke can implement a workaround.

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, mbarylski said:

Wow, that's messed up! Thanks for digging into it. I hope Luke can implement a workaround.

So are both example above wma files?

MBSki
7 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

So are both example above wma files?

Yes, I've got more that have blank years so I'll go through them today and see if I have any other formats that are having issues.

MBSki

Looks like most of mine are wma. I haven't found any other formats yet. I've got some more with a blank year and no Album in MusicBrainz so I'm just adding them to MusicBrainz. Here's one that I added, but the year still isn't populating. How do I get MusicBrainz data to update? I did scan library and refresh, but that didn't work.

image.png.6144abc0818a08014574eb2c3225a8a4.png

Happy2Play
4 hours ago, mbarylski said:

I've got some more with a blank year and no Album in MusicBrainz so I'm just adding them to MusicBrainz. Here's one that I added, but the year still isn't populating. How do I get MusicBrainz data to update? I did scan library and refresh, but that didn't work.

Good question as Emby run their own mbz mirror (musicbrainz.emby.tv).  @Lukehow often are updates pulled or does it take for update made to musicbrainz.org?

49 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Good question as Emby run their own mbz mirror (musicbrainz.emby.tv).  @Lukehow often are updates pulled or does it take for update made to musicbrainz.org?

It's automatic. A couple times a week I think.

koopa8840
23 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Just like if I tag in mp3tag some tags are missing in Picard and if tag in Picard they show as missing in mp3tag.  Easy Tag can not read wma at all.

MBZ tagging showing in mp3tag but not in Picard, so there is a defect some where for WMA.

tagging.thumb.jpg.9e37fafc0e4dcbe9a7cb46958e80468a.jpg

Look at the tag labels, for MB, that Picard reads and compare it to Mp3Tag. I wouldn't be surprised if Picard is reading MusicBrainz and not MBZ. I know, when using Mp3Tag's MB script, it doesn't use MBZ tags. See screenshot for the tag label it uses. If you look at the mbarylski's ffprobe screenshot, you'll notice the year tag is labeled as WM/Year and not just Year. Maybe that is the reason for the incorrect read?

@mbarylski Could you provide a screenshot of what Emby's Meta Manager shows? Do you have any fetchers enabled?

image.thumb.png.4f19bb2aae0c7d30f652e1687dbe9a57.png

Edited by koopa8840

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, koopa8840 said:

Look at the tag labels, for MB, that Picard reads and compare it to Mp3Tag. I wouldn't be surprised if Picard is reading MusicBrainz and not MBZ. I know, when using Mp3Tag's MB script, it doesn't use MBZ tags. See screenshot for the tag label it uses. If you look at the mbarylski's ffprobe screenshot, you'll notice the year tag is labeled as WM/Year and not just Year. Maybe that is the reason for the incorrect read?

@mbarylski Could you provide a screenshot of what Emby's Meta Manager shows? Do you have any fetchers enabled?

image.thumb.png.4f19bb2aae0c7d30f652e1687dbe9a57.png

My understanding is those panel Names are irrelevant as the column shows the Field results, could be wrong but does not affect mp3 files.

But the issue is these are WMA and the Year tag is written WM/Year no matter what tagging program is used.  Or at least that is all FFPROBE sees and that is what Emby uses to read the tags.

@Lukeis that value read at all? WM/Year

koopa8840
3 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

My understanding is those panel Names are irrelevant as the column shows the Field results, could be wrong but does not affect mp3 files.

But the issue is these are WMA and the Year tag is written WM/Year no matter what tagging program is used.  Or at least that is all FFPROBE sees and that is what Emby uses to read the tags.

@Lukeis that value read at all? WM/Year

I'm not referring the panel names, but their fields. If you look at your Mp3Tag field syntax, for MB, it is probably different from Picard. Mp3Tag is, probably, reading MBZ_ARTISTID, as the panel name reflects, and Picard is reading MUSICBRAINZ/ARTIST ID and that is why the MB info is not being displayed in Picard. There is no defect in the MB tag of your example due to the file being a WMA.

After downloading Picard and playing around you can see the MB tag Picard creates; MUSICBRAINZ/ARTISTID. As you can see Picard did not read my MB tags, so I applied the changes Picard recommended. In Mp3Tag and ffprobe you can see the MB tags Picard created. So Picard, in the program its self, shows the field being with an underscore, but actually creates the field name with a forward slash. Anyways, I just wanted to point out the possible reasoning for Picard not showing the MB tags for you.

As far as the year issue, the only workarounds, I have discovered, without relying on the tag info, is to either:

1. Manually edit Emby's metadata or
  2. Tag file with a MB Album ID or
  3. Convert files to non-WMA format

image.png.b50af9f59ff29574a2f8fa20e13bc896.png

image.png.3b9711d05d726c06f60d55d92ff8fa99.png

image.png.1fb1515d088c62cff91e3f76c476cefd.png

image.png.3b9f24273fa206deb981b7c355dcf2cb.png

Edited by koopa8840

Vicpa

Hi @mbarylski,

I could be wrong, but I always thought emby derived the year from the "date" tag.  (or picard does in the background). If an album does not exist on Musicbrainz, I just enter it in the date tag. It doesn't matter if you enter just the year or a full date.  I use flac mostly so that could have an impact.

If you use the metadata editor to correct vs a tag an refresh will wipe away your changes.(been there done that😐)

@FrostByteI think you have used the wma format any thoughts?

-vicpa

MBSki
1 hour ago, Vicpa said:

I could be wrong, but I always thought emby derived the year from the "date" tag.  (or picard does in the background). If an album does not exist on Musicbrainz, I just enter it in the date tag. It doesn't matter if you enter just the year or a full date.  I use flac mostly so that could have an impact.

If you use the metadata editor to correct vs a tag an refresh will wipe away your changes.(been there done that😐)

I don't think it works that way anymore because most fields are tag driven. Adding the metadata to the tags makes it permanent and available to other apps like Plex. 

At this point we need a response from Luke. @Luke Is Emby reading WM/Year? If not, it seems like it needs to be added unless there's some other way to get the year added in metadata for an album that doesn't exist in MusicBrainz. 

That said, i'm not even getting years for albums that ARE in MusicBrainz. I added the MusicBrainz Album ID for this one yesterday and it's still not showing a year.

image.png.4e85bf6573d1e4fb9071d4b0744a494e.png 

image.png.2ebe5157742fa434a746dedd1a0c3922.png

Vicpa

Hi @mbarylski

You missed my point, try adding a "date" tag vs a year tag

in the above example change "Year" = 1978 to "DATE" =1978 and see what you get

FrostByte

My guess is that it is reading WM/Year because the mbz id for the digital media release of Eric Clapton's album August is 2012.  I always override the year of the release though with the original year because I hate the way Emby displays the year.  When I look at this album in Emby it shows 1986.  So the only place it could have gotten 1986 is from WM/Year.  I think :)

Input #0, asf, from '01 - It's In The Way That You Use It.wma':
  Metadata:
    WMFSDKNeeded    : 0.0.0.0000
    DeviceConformanceTemplate: M1
    WM/WMADRCPeakReference: 32767
    WM/WMADRCAverageReference: 5847
    WMFSDKVersion   : 12.0.10011.16384
    IsVBR           : 1
    track           : 1
    WM/Track        : 0
    album           : August (HDtracks)
    WM/Year         : 1986
    genre           : Blues Rock
    album_artist    : Eric Clapton
    MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMID: 07aaf91d-aa52-4e4c-a689-9c0f5d2cabbf
    MUSICBRAINZ_RELEASEGROUPID: b7758489-3a12-3389-b76b-8cf80a105013
    title           : It's In The Way That You Use It
    artist          : Eric Clapton
    comment         : HDtracks
  Duration: 00:04:10.33, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 320 kb/s
  Stream #0:0: Audio: wmapro (b[1][0][0] / 0x0162), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 384 kb/s

Edited by FrostByte
  • Agree 1

MBSki
6 minutes ago, Vicpa said:

Hi @mbarylski

You missed my point, try adding a "date" tag vs a year tag

in the above example change "Year" = 1978 to "DATE" =1978 and see what you get

Tried that and it doesn't work unfortunately.

MBSki
2 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

My guess is that it is reading WM/Year because the mbz id for the digital media release of Eric Clapton's album August is 2012.  I always override the year of the release though with the original year because I hate the way Emby displays the year.  When I look at this album in Emby it shows 1986.  So the only place it could have gotten 1986 is from WM/Year.  I think :)

Input #0, asf, from '01 - It's In The Way That You Use It.wma':
  Metadata:
    WMFSDKNeeded    : 0.0.0.0000
    DeviceConformanceTemplate: M1
    WM/WMADRCPeakReference: 32767
    WM/WMADRCAverageReference: 5847
    WMFSDKVersion   : 12.0.10011.16384
    IsVBR           : 1
    track           : 1
    WM/Track        : 0
    album           : August (HDtracks)
    WM/Year         : 1986
    genre           : Blues Rock
    album_artist    : Eric Clapton
    MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMID: 07aaf91d-aa52-4e4c-a689-9c0f5d2cabbf
    MUSICBRAINZ_RELEASEGROUPID: b7758489-3a12-3389-b76b-8cf80a105013
    title           : It's In The Way That You Use It
    artist          : Eric Clapton
    comment         : HDtracks
  Duration: 00:04:10.33, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 320 kb/s
  Stream #0:0: Audio: wmapro (b[1][0][0] / 0x0162), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 384 kb/s

Totally agree! I can't seem to overwrite the year though. Why isn't it grabbing WM/Year for my Pat Benatar example? I'm tearing my hair out!! 😅