Metadata Refresh By Field

rodainas

rodainas

Could it be possible to implement this?

For example: I use nfos for movies/tvshows and from time to time I update the ratings on them, after that I do a refresh (replace all metadata) to reflect that on emby, but this process is unnecessarily long because emby is reading all the metadata fields even episodes in the case of tvshows (in my case have a large remote library on cloud), when the only thing I have changed is the rating on each movie/tvshow, it would be much faster just to look up the rating field on nfo files when refreshing (by field refresh).

• Like 2

GrimReaper

"Scan Library Files" will do the trick there, very quickly, no Refresh/Replace metadata necessary.

• Agree 1

Happy2Play

Yes if you are manually updating nfo files or updating in other programs Emby will see the time stamp on the file change and re-read it via Real Time Monitoring or a normal scan.

A Refresh will re-download provider information unless the field or nfo is Locked.

rodainas

The problem in my case is that scan just picks up new video files added to my library, whenever I edit the nfo files the scan doesnt detect changes, the workaround for me is refreshing metadata.

Maybe just a background of my case helps with this, I have emby running on linux (ubuntu) on a remote server, and my libraries are on the cloud, mounted via rclone, and I think the rclone mount part is the one that doesnt let the scanning pick up the nfo modifications for me, and the only way for me is the refresh with replace to re-read my nfos and update the metadata on emby.

The refresh reads the nfo files if no online scrappers are enabled.

Edited by rodainas

GrimReaper

Never had the need for rclone so don't know how exactly does it function, does it reflect real-time cloud changes or it does it in certain intervals, maybe it ain't propagating changed nfo timestamp immediately? As a test, you could modify one nfo and give it a bit of time before you Scan and then check did it pick it up? 

rodainas
57 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

Never had the need for rclone so don't know how exactly does it function, does it reflect real-time cloud changes or it does it in certain intervals, maybe it ain't propagating changed nfo timestamp immediately? As a test, you could modify one nfo and give it a bit of time before you Scan and then check did it pick it up? 

It constantly refresh the changes made to the cloud, but for example the real time monitoring feature of emby doesnt work with rclone mount filesystem.

I have almost a year running the server with   rclone, tried that test countless of times, changing nfos, doing scans long after the changes but emby seems unable to pick them up through the scan library option.

But regardless of my specific case/inconvenient with rclone, I think that the Refresh metadata by field is a perfectly valid request, not just for me but for people that use emby to scrap from the online providers directly without third party scrappers/nfos.

Edited by rodainas
  • Agree 2

rodainas

Did some further testing, maybe this helps someone on a similar situation.

Change the rclone mount parameters to vfs cache mode writes, and the scanning on emby can now pick up all the nfo modifications.

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/8/2021 at 12:31 PM, rodainas said:

Did some further testing, maybe this helps someone on a similar situation.

Change the rclone mount parameters to vfs cache mode writes, and the scanning on emby can now pick up all the nfo modifications.

Thanks for the feedback.