enable HDR tone mapping

winniewangyh

winniewangyh
35 minutes ago, cayars said:

Hi could you try something for me.  Install the Emby Diagnostics Plugin from the catalog and choose Extra-T for VAAPI tone mapping.

You will need this plugin installed to try the Extra-T tone mapping options.

Let us know if this makes any difference for you.

I think I found the setting, turn it on and keep the default setting?

image.thumb.png.601a5574af2b362b8f72b6d0985cdba2.png

Yes just like that.  Does this tone map or also switch off to software tone mapping?

winniewangyh
58 minutes ago, cayars said:

Yes just like that.  Does this tone map or also switch off to software tone mapping?

No, software transcoding seems to be enabled. Some hdr resources can call gpu transcoding, but some cannot. The color of successfully calling gpu transcoding is incorrect.

Can you go over a specific situation where it is doing GPU tone mapping?

winniewangyh
19 minutes ago, cayars said:

Can you go over a specific situation where it is doing GPU tone mapping?

I don’t know how to describe it, but it should be related to audio decoding, ac3 can be done GPU tone mapping, but TRUEHD can’t

Can you upload an ffmpeg log file for one with AC3 and one with TRUEHD for us to look at?

It looks like you were playing the truehd version back with subtitles that needed burning in.

Can you try that file without subs?

winniewangyh
3 minutes ago, cayars said:

It looks like you were playing the truehd version back with subtitles that needed burning in.

Can you try that file without subs?

Turning off the subtitles can use gpu transcoding

OK that sounds correct now.  Ideally if you can source SRT subs for content that needs tone mapping or even transcoding when possible as these srt subs are friendly and won't get in the way of tone mapping or transcoding.

winniewangyh
13 minutes ago, cayars said:

OK that sounds correct now.  Ideally if you can source SRT subs for content that needs tone mapping or even transcoding when possible as these srt subs are friendly and won't get in the way of tone mapping or transcoding.

Could it be resolved in a future version?

Subs that can't be played back with the device need to have the subs "burned in" to become part of the video.  That changes the way the file needs to be transcoded which can break hardware based tone mapping.

There really isn't a lot Emby can do about this.

What many users including myself do is try to use SRT when ever possible as these are just text files and just about every client can handle these in some way even if the format of the sub needs to get changed on the fly.

When the subs are being burned in they should be visible, so if they're not, then yes, that can be resolved. Is that what's happening? Or just that combining with tone mapping results in software transcoding?

When being burned in for this sub type it needs to be overlaid which breaks hardware tone mapping/transcoding and falls back to CPU.

winniewangyh
9 hours ago, cayars said:

When being burned in for this sub type it needs to be overlaid which breaks hardware tone mapping/transcoding and falls back to CPU.

Means I can only use SRT subtitles, or embed subtitles into the video?

SRT or Subrip (internal) would likely be fine.  Anything text base is going to be easy to process.

On 7/14/2021 at 4:47 AM, winniewangyh said:
On 7/13/2021 at 6:56 PM, cayars said:

Means I can only use SRT subtitles, or embed subtitles into the video?

What is shown in this log

ffmpeg-transcode-9f58cfd9-8301-4eb8-83cd-ef26c501b0a9_1.txt

is probably due a bug in Emby.

• Could you please
  • go to "Transcoding" and set it to "Advanced".
  • There, disable all VAAPI codecs and enable all QuickSync codecs.
  • Save
  • Retry Playback with tone mapping and subtitle overlay.
  • Thanks 1

winniewangyh
21 hours ago, softworkz said:

What is shown in this log

ffmpeg-transcode-9f58cfd9-8301-4eb8-83cd-ef26c501b0a9_1.txt

is probably due a bug in Emby.

• Could you please
  • go to "Transcoding" and set it to "Advanced".
  • There, disable all VAAPI codecs and enable all QuickSync codecs.
  • Save
  • Retry Playback with tone mapping and subtitle overlay.

Wow, that’s great, except for the wrong colors. Hardware acceleration is already used normally.

Thank you

34 minutes ago, winniewangyh said:

Wow, that’s great, except for the wrong colors. Hardware acceleration is already used normally.

Thank you

@winniewangyh can you please try what he suggested and provide the log from that? Thanks !

winniewangyh
43 minutes ago, Luke said:

@winniewangyh can you please try what he suggested and provide the log from that? Thanks !

Of course, I still have a question, is there any convenient way to update the dock version of emby on Synology? Now when there is a new version, I need to download the new version and reconfigure it, and then delete the old version. Too much time, and the client needs to log in again

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-00064ed6-b40c-471b-86a9-5dba3e8865d1_1.txt

1 hour ago, winniewangyh said:

Of course, I still have a question, is there any convenient way to update the dock version of emby on Synology? Now when there is a new version, I need to download the new version and reconfigure it, and then delete the old version. Too much time, and the client needs to log in again

Any particular reason you're running Emby Server in docker on the Synology vs using the native Synology packages we create specifically for the platform?

It sounds like you're setting up a new docker instance and removing the old one for each release vs just updating what you already have configured with 

docker pull emby/embyserver:latest

Have a read through the instructions for our docker install/upgrade pages which includes directions for updates.
https://hub.docker.com/r/emby/embyserver

winniewangyh
18 hours ago, softworkz said:

@winniewangyh - Thanks for the logs. Tonemapping is working now with QuickSync HW acceleration. I assume the colors are good now?

The color looks darker

emby.png

plex.png

winniewangyh
18 hours ago, cayars said:

Any particular reason you're running Emby Server in docker on the Synology vs using the native Synology packages we create specifically for the platform?

It sounds like you're setting up a new docker instance and removing the old one for each release vs just updating what you already have configured with 

docker pull emby/embyserver:latest

Have a read through the instructions for our docker install/upgrade pages which includes directions for updates.
https://hub.docker.com/r/emby/embyserver

Thank you, I will try the next update

• Like 1