Original Subdued Theme questions

Luke

Cheesegeezer

There are a few bugs to fix but I don't think I want to add anything else to the theme. Maybe theme music & backdrops, but we'll see.  I have bigger fish to fry at the moment with this chapter plugin and Subdued MBT

Cool, glad to hear it. Post questions if you're stuck on something with chapters. That really should be easy to bang out, and then dive full steam into mbt.

CBers

Nice one Cheese - will install and have a play, if only to see if it's as good as/better than NEO  ;)

Will this make use of Eric's recent MBC updates ??

Cheesegeezer

Thanks CBers.... come over to the dark side lol

I release this about a day before Eric released his update.  It will be a quick fix anyway and I'll dedicate some time tomorrow to incorporate the new "text switching" depending on whether you have it checked or not.

Cheesegeezer

Cool, glad to hear it. Post questions if you're stuck on something with chapters. That really should be easy to bang out, and then dive full steam into mbt.

Cheers Luke, Yeah easy if your a full time programmer, but it will be good to get me learning my way around MB's super structure.

CBers

Thanks CBers.... come over to the dark side lol

I release this about a day before Eric released his update.  It will be a quick fix anyway and I'll dedicate some time tomorrow to incorporate the new "text switching" depending on whether you have it checked or not.

Thanks. I can't believe there are so many options :-)

Cheesegeezer

tell me about it, I've had to get my head around all that lol.  it's good tho, the thing that attracted so many users was it's customisability. 

Oh and if you don't like the built in watched/unwatched/hd and new, you can make your own and add them too.

Let me know how you get on and what you think. If you got any questions I'd be happy to help

Cheesegeezer

CBers

This Should help you, it's a little out dated as there are some extra options in there but it should point you in the right direction as to what does what.

Print it out LOL  :lol:

• Like 1

To each their own but that's a bit over the top.

There's all kinds of usability research that shows that a large percentage of users use applications at default settings. The all-important first impression, formed after just a few seconds, is either won or lost using defaults. So by all means make things configurable, but the argument of "well it doesn't matter what the default is because users can change it" - that doesn't fly if you really want to sell users on your theme. You have to put your best foot forward with defaults. Once you learn that, you realize that all of this time and effort you're pouring into little minute settings are really only pleasing a few people, and it's just not worth it.

Cheesegeezer

To each their own but that's a bit over the top.

There's all kinds of usability research that shows that a large percentage of users use applications at default settings. The all-important first impression, formed after just a few seconds, is either won or lost using defaults. So by all means make things configurable, but the argument of "well it doesn't matter what the default is because users can change it" - that doesn't fly if you really want to sell users on your theme. You have to put your best foot forward with defaults. Once you learn that, you realize that all of this time and effort you're pouring into little minute settings are really only pleasing a few people, and it's just not worth it.

Hey Luke, don't shoot the messenger, 90% of these options were already in the mix prior to me picking up this.  I think I've only added some essential features, such as weather, clear/thumb and disc art into the mix.  I think a lot of these options have come from feature requests from the community which Rob implemented.

Cheesegeezer

I've updated the new option now to include the "Media In Progress" option.  However..... is 3.0.62 a dev build of MBC or Beta?  

I'm about to put this release up to the catalogue as a dev release (3.0.1.1), if anyone can test it to make sure it works that would be great... Check the following

1. Says Recently Watched if option is unchecked and doesn't display in progress movies.

2. Changes to Media in Progress (didn't know what else to call it really) when option is checked.

3. If option is checked then then moving around the interface keeps the "Media In Progress" Label and doesn't switch back to Recently Watched.

4. Displays any media you have that is currently in progress.

Many Thanks

Hey Luke, don't shoot the messenger, 90% of these options were already in the mix prior to me picking up this.  I think I've only added some essential features, such as weather, clear/thumb and disc art into the mix.  I think a lot of these options have come from feature requests from the community which Rob implemented.

I know. I just said that as food for thought when thinking about what will get ported to mbt.

CBers

CBers

This Should help you, it's a little out dated as there are some extra options in there but it should point you in the right direction as to what does what.

Print it out LOL  :lol:

Thanks Cheese.

Cheesegeezer

I know. I just said that as food for thought when thinking about what will get ported to mbt.

Message understood. And I do appreciate any tips from the experience that is here.

.62 is a dev release.

Thought so, I put it up as a dev release anyway.

CBers

CBers, how you getting on with it?

Funny you should ask, as I'm playing with it now.

It looks very nice. I like the LIVE configuration option ;)

Not sure why, but it's very slow when navigating. Leave it with me for now.

Q: How do enable TV show themes (audio) ??

Also, I'm seeing text overlaid on the icons in the RECENTLY UNWATCHED screen:

Capture638.JPG

CBers

When in FULL-SCREEN (which is 99.9% of the time), and when using a mouse or remote, the CONFIGURE button is masked by the CLOSE (X) button of WMC:

Capture639.JPG

Can it be moved down a touch, as I'm having to RESTORE the window to click on it.

Also, there is not a "Do you wish to exit MediaBrowser" option like there is in Neo:

Capture640.JPG

So, if I press back to many times, I go back to WMC.

Could it be added ??

TIA.

CBers

The quality of some of the images displayed seems lower than they actually are.

Is this a known issue ??

Cheesegeezer

There shouldn't be any problems with image quality CBers, I will have a look at the code.  with regards to your Settings button, it's always been like that.  Or you a mouse user often? The reason I ask is I could just move the setting button to the bottom left, this has been raised before and believe it was on Robs list of todo's. So I will get round to it.

I'm not sure about sluggishness, I think it's relatively snappy, after Ebr's improvements.  

I don't think putting a "are you really sure you want to exit" will ever make it in this theme.  I have always found them to be annoying. And I don't want to add even more option to the massive array of options already available.  

There is a catastrophic bug which I will fix this weekend.  Just haven't had time to get round to it yet.  Enjoying beers in the sun ;) You know how it is. but if you select from the Details Page, Cast or Details the program will crash, and I know why, I just need to sort it.

Cheers

• Like 1

CBers

@cheese - I'm a (WMC) Remote user :)

I'm not sure what is/was causing the sluggishness either, especially as I was testing it on the a new Quad-Core i5 with 8Gb RAM.

I'll have another play later ;)

No worries about the exiting message - I'll have to learn not to be impatient.

CBers

How do you mean "Remote" Cbers

I use a remote control to navigate around MBC, no mouse or keyboard.

• 2 weeks later...