Update to DSM 7 has caused issues

ashtonjay

oxhey

I followed the instructions but emby isn't working.

I click on run and it starts then manually stops.

I click start again and get Failed to run the package service.

EDIT: I uninstalled emby, removed the emby appshare folder and reinstalled. Luckily my media is all nfo'd up so restarting wasn't that painful.

DSM7 does appear to be snappier than DSM6

Edited by oxhey

Hi, What NAS do you have?

Did you look at the Emby server log to see why it wasn't running?

oxhey

A bit late now but DS418Play .

Oh well - its working after a fresh install. 

Luckily my metadata is saved in with the media so redoing the library was quicker than it would have been.

• Like 1

OK great, glad you got it all working.

Thanks for the update.

S0mbrero

Thanks for the instructions, everything worked just fine. The only thing missing (for some reason) is the watched status of all the movies and tv shows. No idea why and how to fix it but it's not the end of the world, I'm mostly happy everything works :)

TomasTSH

At first I had trouble getting it to work by following the instructions on the first page. But then followed video on the second page, mainly didn`t set the permissions right at first, but after setting the permissions the way it was done in the video loaded up emby and everything is exactly the way it was, even the watched status and all, thank you!

• Like 1

Super, glad you got things working and got your migration behind you.

Happy streaming!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
javixuwi
On 6/26/2021 at 8:26 AM, cayars said:

- add emby user and emby group to your shared media folder in Synology 

Hi, just wondering why synology doesnt show me the emby user/group. I tried to create them but it shows me that this user already exist or are reserved for the system

my installation is new

On DSM 7 you set the permissions here like this, but have to make sure to change it to "System Internal user" in the drop down list. You need to set this for any share that Emby Server will access for media or plugins like our System Config Backup.

image.thumb.png.e3a932c605ece5541429f91cb0790d7c.png

• 3 weeks later...
Gfpiccolo

hello,

i have synology DS218 with DSM 6.2.3 and Emby Beta 4.7.0.3

can i upgrade to DSM 7.0 and return to emby stable without lose all my configuration? or i need to stay on BETA?

Thank you

3 hours ago, Gfpiccolo said:

hello,

i have synology DS218 with DSM 6.2.3 and Emby Beta 4.7.0.3

can i upgrade to DSM 7.0 and return to emby stable without lose all my configuration? or i need to stay on BETA?

You should be ok since these versions are close enough but this is what I would do.

While still on DSM 6 uninstall Emby Server 4.7.0.3
Download the the 4.6.4 (or later package if available) for DSM 6 and install this over top what you currently have.

Test installation to make sure everything is working correct.  Once satisfied things are working perform the migration to DSM 7 and Emby Server for DSM 7.
See sticky post at top of Synology forum for complete instructions.

Gfpiccolo
10 hours ago, cayars said:

You should be ok since these versions are close enough but this is what I would do.

While still on DSM 6 uninstall Emby Server 4.7.0.3
Download the the 4.6.4 (or later package if available) for DSM 6 and install this over top what you currently have.

Test installation to make sure everything is working correct.  Once satisfied things are working perform the migration to DSM 7 and Emby Server for DSM 7.
See sticky post at top of Synology forum for complete instructions.

great!

i updated DSM and re-turned to stable version of emby without any issue.

Thank you very much

• Like 2

bobaldis
On 30/06/2021 at 22:37, cayars said:

That file name looks like the DSM 6 version of Emby Server, not the DSM 7 version.  Please make sure you download the DSM 7 version.

Another useful post, I fell into exactly the same trap!

Bob

Edited by bobaldis

On 7/20/2021 at 1:13 PM, javixuwi said:

Hi, just wondering why synology doesnt show me the emby user/group. I tried to create them but it shows me that this user already exist or are reserved for the system

my installation is new

I have exactly the same problem.

Sombody can help?

Gfpiccolo
59 minutes ago, Terzzo said:

I have exactly the same problem.

Sombody can help?

You have to select "system internal user" from the window menu: image.png

Edited by Gfpiccolo
  • Like 1

scouser1023

Guys while the support is great here its crazy how much time I have had to put into Emby to keep it running.  I think you will find most of us are not 100 percent comfortable in putty, digging around in the root director of our NAS, or enabling shh etc.  Luke typically gives some good advice but you need to be a programmer to follow his steps and typically read about an hour of threads and bounce all over the place.

Anyway please excuse my frustration I upgraded to DSM 7 and dont know why I would not check to see if this would take down emby again.

So like others I was not able to upgrade emby before upgrading DSM.

Moving along I have downloaded putty again. 

Upgraded DSM to 7.0-41890

Installed Emby server 4.6.4.0-3001 over the top of the old 4.4 version as I was worried uninstalling would blast away my config files.

Connected to my NAS with Putty, moved to the root directory, and used the cp-r/volume1/Emby/*/volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer command which returns No such file or directory

When I check Emby it has no configuration files and acting like a fresh install.

Other differences is I do not have the permissions listed in the video on my Nas.  emby_PKG_ was missing, the video group was there,  admin account does not show media or emby under permissions.  However I think part of the issue is my shared folder is Movies and all the permissions are set up correctly there.

So the bottom line is I do not know enough about putty to dig into this and see if I am missing a file structure so I cant copy my old config files over, if the confirg files are no longer there, or if this is a permissions issue.

Can  someone advise on what I should try next?  My library is about 18tb and split into categories so I really don't want to start from scratch if possible.

added notes:

cd/volume reports back with No such file or directory

ls - a does list a volume1

I am logged in as admin

Thank you,

Simon

Edited by scouser1023

You did a couple of things wrong.

First you want to install the same version on DSM 7 that you had on DSM 6 to avoid as many issues as possible. This really means you would want to update DSM 6 first to get to the latest version to have a matching DSM 7 version.  This is to minimize problems/issues with the migration but if too late then installing the current version is best you can do at this point.

However, the real problem of your migration is the commands you posted as they are not correct.
Copy the two commands from the forum post and in putty do a right click which will paste them in. Do this for the cp and chown commands.
Make sure Emby Server is not running when you do this.

If you feel like you are over your head or just want some help, send me a PM and we can do a remote session.

scouser1023

Hi Cayars,

Copy and past did not work when trying to input the commands into putty, but I did see different versions of the commands.  So I did have this wrong as you said.  But I think the below is correct.

I am over my head on this one but wanted to hammed down on this a little more to make sure its not something obvious that someone else maybe able to benefit from.

Is there an easy way to check if the directories exist?  I tried cd/volume1 assuming that should put me in the directory, but it does not.  But this is a rather crude check that may not be feasible.

Edit: Right mouse click almost defeated me lol.  Copied and pasted your text into putty with the same result as below.  So I do not have a typo must have something else going on

image.png.047d7d44563eecbbcfe6fdf513e0a734.png

Edited by scouser1023

I replied in PM as you sent me a few additional pics but it appears like you no longer have the DSM 6 version of Emby still on the NAS.

As mentioned in PM you can try a "find / -name library.db" in putty as root to see how many of these files it finds.  It should find the DSM 7 version in /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer/data but hopefully will find another copy as well which could be the DSM 6 version.

1 hour ago, luundblad said:

i removed emby user from synology and now i cant add it back.. "username already reserved" 

Why did you do that? I would just try installing the server again on top of your existing version. The installation should hopefully put it back.

luundblad
1 minute ago, Luke said:

Why did you do that? I would just try installing the server again on top of your existing version. The installation should hopefully put it back.

i mean i removed "emby_pkg"