Delete album in Emby that doesn't exist in my music library

ramseyn

ramseyn

I have an album showing in my music library that doesn't exist at all in my actual music folders.

It seems to contain hundreds of tracks from all over my actual folders, none of which reference it at all as the album they are one.

The common denominator seems to be that all the MusicBrainz metadata fields are missing the leading "M" for MusicBrainz (tat is, there are no actual MusicBrainz IDs, but instead text that says, for example "usicBrainz Album Id" in the Album Id field.

I can't delete this album anywhere either on the folders themselves (because it doesn't exist) or anywhere in Emby.

I can remove songs one at a time by going into their metadata and deleting the entries in all MusicBrainz fields, but that is going to take days with hundreds of songs - possibly thousands, I haven't counted, just scrolled through page after page of them.

How can I delete this non-existent album?

ramseyn

By the way, I posted this in the Asustor section but nobody even looked at it. The Emby developers don't seem to care about problems on the Asustor platform.

Hi, if you edit the metadata to look at the location on disc, does the drive/mount point still exist?

ramseyn

Not sure what you mean by this. The album shows no location (unsurprisingly, as it doesn't exist). The individual racks do have locations which are, as I say, all over my folders.

Hi.  Albums are derived from the tags in your music files not the folders on your hard discs.  What songs are showing in this album?  What are the tags in those songs?

ramseyn

As I told you already, there are hundreds, possibly thousands. Too many to count. The tags in them are MusicBrainz tags as I already described. If I delete all the MusicBrainz tag entries from a song it disappears from this non-existent album.

I also deleted ALL the .nfo files from all my music folders because in many cases they contained these broken tags (missing the M at the beginning of the field). Didn't help

If your songs are tagged with these album values, then the albums are going to show up and there is no way to stop that from happening.

We are using the information embedded into your audio files, so the best thing to do would be to edit that to ensure it is correct.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ramseyn said:

Not sure what you mean by this. The album shows no location (unsurprisingly, as it doesn't exist). The individual racks do have locations which are, as I say, all over my folders.

We care equally about all platforms. Some requests just take a little longer to respond to than others.

ramseyn

Non existent album...

image.thumb.png.914480998f5453f2f67145de3479121c.png

The beginning of the list...

image.thumb.png.e66d3639ec061de45703baa51d0f31c0.png

Note how small is the scroll thumb on the right, indicating how many tracks must be in the list...

image.thumb.png.44f253d5fb2593998072af73b5cf2078.png

Are those values actually filled into the external id section? That looks like a problem. That's probably the cause of the issue.

We'd have to review your audio files i guess, but  it appears you might have some junk values embedded into them.

ramseyn

Any junk values are not in my standard tags - see above for the example of this file. Junk appears only to be in MusicBrainz tags over which I have no control. I can only delete them in Emby metadata and the track then disappears from this false album.

I can't do that with hundreds of tracks, that's not reasonable. I didn't put them in and I have no way to get them out except one by one through Emby.

MP3Tag doesn't allow me to filter on MusicBrainz tags - they are only part of extended tags, which don't allow filtering or search & replace.

ramseyn
10 minutes ago, Luke said:

Are those values actually filled into the external id section? That looks like a problem. That's probably the cause of the issue.

We'd have to review your audio files i guess, but  it appears you might have some junk values embedded into them.

What do you mean by "the external ID section"? Something I am not showing in the above screenshots?

Junk appears only to be in MusicBrainz tags over which I have no control.

Exactly that's what I'm referring to. It's those junk musicbrainz values that are a problem. That's why you're getting tons of songs lumped into one album, because the server goes to create a new album when a song is imported, but then it finds one already in your database with the same musicbrainz value (junk value). So it thinks the album is already in your database and it adds the song to that album rather than creating a new one.

Just now, ramseyn said:

What do you mean by "the external ID section"? Something I am not showing in the above screenshots?

Look at the bottom section of your second screenshot. You see the data in those text fields? That's going to cause a problem. These fields are not required, so it's OK if your audio files don't have them...but if they do have them and they are bad data like that, it's going to spell trouble.

nmkaufman

My guess is that one or more various artists albums is tagged incorrectly. Even one incorrectly tagged song can blow stuff up like this.

Look at the metadata for the 'various artists' artist in Emby, and see if it offers any clues about which album(s) might be causing the problem.

ramseyn

Well tat is what I posited in my original post. But I didn't put any of that in those tags. I don't get tags from MusicBrainz when I rip my CDs. They only appear after I move them into the NAS folders and they get picked up by Emby, so Emby is putting this junk in and there doesn't seem to be any way to remove them as a batch, only one by one.

ramseyn
3 minutes ago, nmkaufman said:

My guess is that one or more various artists albums is tagged incorrectly. Even one incorrectly tagged song can blow stuff up like this.

Look at the metadata for the 'various artists' artist in Emby, and see if it offers any clues about which album(s) might be causing the problem.

I have no Various Artist albums. I don't rip those.

I shall look and see if Emby thinks there is a Various Artists  artist though. That might help track it down...

Edited by ramseyn

3 minutes ago, ramseyn said:

I have no Various Artist albums. I don't rip those.

I shall look and see if Emby thinks there is a Various Artists  artist though. That might help track it down...

I would focus on the answer I've given you because I think that is the problem. In fact, even if that is not causing this particular problem, those junk values are guaranteed to cause other issues.

6 minutes ago, ramseyn said:

Well tat is what I posited in my original post. But I didn't put any of that in those tags. I don't get tags from MusicBrainz when I rip my CDs. They only appear after I move them into the NAS folders and they get picked up by Emby, so Emby is putting this junk in and there doesn't seem to be any way to remove them as a batch, only one by one.

I understand, but I can promise you that if we were to go through the embedded metadata for all of the tracks on that album, I believe we would find those bad musicbrainz values embedded into some of them.

@cayars can jump on a teamviewer and take a look with you.

ramseyn

Interesting exercise...

But I can't seem to paste the screen snip. However Emby thinks there is a Various Artists artist,  so perhaps there is an old one that has got dragged to an incorrect folder somewhere. Time for a detailed trawl through folder by folder - or maybe opening a track in this Various Artists artist will give me a pointer.

Good info - standby and I'll trawl through.

ramseyn

Ha ha!

I have While My Guitar Gently Weeps, which I think of as George Harrison of course, but it is actually a various artists album. Now to look at the tracks in there and see what  the tags are.

If they are somehow wrong and I fix them, I don't see how tat can correct tags in other completely standalone albums though. Nor indeed how it could have made those albums get incorrect tags in the first place.

A mystery to me, but a place to start for sure.