Emby for Kodi stops syncing once a month like clock work

brian1709

brian1709

So what are the options? rebuild Kodi or rebuild server?

Both seem to have entries/tokens that point to devices that does not exist or were changed.

can those entries not be deleted from the server (the devices were removed, why not the tokens)

How does Emby Server and Kodi validate those tokens against each other?

can those entries not be deleted from the server (the devices were removed, why not the tokens)

They can, but then you'll need to manually sign into the app again before the sync will work again.

brian1709
5 hours ago, Luke said:

They can, but then you'll need to manually sign into the app again before the sync will work again.

Tried that,  every time I log in manually it takes the login but eventually says server unreachable.

I just bit the bullet, deleted the UserID and password from server. Rebuilt Kodi and was able to re-install Emby and rebuild DB. Everything went perfect.

Now we still have no idea why Emby stops working once a month, though.

And no it has nothing to do with me deleting the devices that I only did for the first time this past weekend.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Edited by brian1709

brian1709

So just as an aside, if the passwords for a user is ever changed for whatever reason this is what will happen?

quickmic
2 minutes ago, brian1709 said:

So just as an aside, if the passwords for a user is ever changed for whatever reason this is what will happen?

next-gen authentification is based on the api-key. I assume when a user password has changed on Emby server it will also create a new api-key for the user.

In this case, next-gen needs the new api-key too. -> Fresh next-gen login to Emby server.

3 hours ago, brian1709 said:

Tried that,  every time I log in manually it takes the login but eventually says server unreachable.

Well server unreachable is different. That suggests a network connection problem.

brian1709

Not sure how the Server can revoke a token, authenticate a user and be unreachable at the same time be a network connection error.

If they can shake hands and validate they are connected, if one refuses to communicate further there is nothing that the network can do about that, it is still connected.

Kodi old.txt

quickmic
On 7/9/2021 at 1:23 PM, brian1709 said:

Not sure how the Server can revoke a token, authenticate a user and be unreachable at the same time be a network connection error.

If they can shake hands and validate they are connected, if one refuses to communicate further there is nothing that the network can do about that, it is still connected.

Kodi old.txt 8.78 kB · 2 downloads

According to the log, next gen plugin is connected to the server but before the (additional) websocket connection was established, you already received a timeout followed by the "regular" http communication timed out. Both type of connection are independent from each other and both reports the same issue.

Can you ping emby server in a loop from Kodi's device. Then start Kodi and check if the ping dropped at some point.

Also check the ping response times.

Is your Kodi device connected via LAN or WLAN?

Edited by quickmic

brian1709

obviously now I can but this is now a total new build of Kodi, so it proves nothing.

We'll have to wait till next issue.

• 3 weeks later...
brian1709

So here we are again. Updated to Kodi 19 Matrix and again ran into issues with Emby.

Clean build of Kodi 19 and Emby 5.3.4  Emby Con 1.10.14 and Server 4.6.4.0

New User added to server

Emby Con works and connects. Emby Theatre connects and works.

Emby for Kodi  refuses. It installs, it finds the Server. It displays the users correctly but comes up with user ID and password incorrect.

If I try to add it manually it does the same ie. User id and password incorrect.

If I try to do it with a different working user and password it continues, validate the user but never actually updates the libraries and fails about 3-5 minutes later.

kodi.log

quickmic

ok, first please take a full kodi backup. Probably we need it for investigation.

At the current state you mentioned only a complete re-installation helps.

Kodi re-installation or also Emby server or both?

Also, have you added a user to session (in next gen config)

Does the emby user, used by Kodi to connect to Emby server, has admin privileges on emby server?

Edited by quickmic

brian1709

new user have no admin privileges. When I try from that device with the admin ID it connects and then fails to populate/sync DB and eventually fails.

It is becoming a major hassle with Emby next gen. EmbyCon works and Emby Theatre, so maybe I should just stay away from Emby or even go back to PLex.

quickmic
1 minute ago, brian1709 said:

stay away from Emby or even go back to PLex.

Well, that's your decision. All I can do is trying to find the issue. Frankly, that's not easy cause you are the only one reporting that kind of problem.

If you wanna continue testing please try latest experimental version of emby-for-kodi-next-gen from here:

Anyway, there will be no easy solution, it's a trial and error.

5 hours ago, brian1709 said:

new user have no admin privileges. When I try from that device with the admin ID it connects and then fails to populate/sync DB and eventually fails.

It is becoming a major hassle with Emby next gen. EmbyCon works and Emby Theatre, so maybe I should just stay away from Emby or even go back to PLex.

Syncing will always be a more complex process then emby theater or embycon. You could always use one of those.

brian1709

Ok, so here is what I can confirm.

Did a clean Kodi 19.1 install.

Installed EmbyCon from Repo. No problem. It finds the server, displays the Users, I pick the User enter password and EmbyCon is golden

Installed Emby, it comes up with menu with server name and then options to use EmbyCon, or add manually. If you select EmbyCon it asks for user ID and password. Entering those gives a user and password incorrect. the same with enter manually. Cancelling and just selecting the Server takes you to the users menu, selecting the user and entering the password works fine. It then proceeds to setup and sync DB.

Question is why is there and option to use EmbyCon or manually if it is not going to work or do those just kick in if the Server is not found by it self?

quickmic
24 minutes ago, brian1709 said:

Installed Emby

you mean emby for kodi next gen?

If yes you are installing both plugins? May I ask why, cause actually I see no point using both. Do you have a specific case doing that?

• 2 weeks later...
brian1709

I do install both plugins. For more than one reason but mainly because kodi does not deal with my music library very well, so I use EmbyCon for access to my Music and next Gen for TV and Movies via Kodi because Emby Theatre doesn't deal with out of sync sub titles at all.

quickmic

Have you tried the experimental version? https://kodi.emby.tv/Public testing/plugin.video.emby-next-gen-6.0.3-build 117 (ex18).zip

Do you use Kodi profiles? If so, next-gen has issues adn will be fixed soon.

btw, Music sync should also work. Experimental versions have lots of improvements for music libraries. Unfortunatly, Kodi has issues with large lists which easiely happens for large music collections.

brian1709

I'll try experimental, thanks. Music sync does work but Kodi doesn't deal with it very well and my list is huge. That is why I just use embyCon in Kodi.

brian1709

Ok so installed experimental, which of course rebuilt the DB. everything went well and it built a DB in Kodi that mirrored the EmbyCon/Emby Server

Added some media today. EmbyCon updates immediately, Next Gen Experimental logs in and starts updating for about 10-20 seconds and then freezes. I restarted it two or three times but it will not complete. It just freezes. The error log indicates some Emby errors .

kodi.log

• Thanks 1

quickmic

Thanks for testing, I see a problem in the log. Not sure what causes the issue but for some shows the KodiSeasonId is missing.

I'll review the code, but I guess season info could be missing. Not sure which one, the first crash was at/after episode "Brave New World"

Was a complete show added, a new season to an existing show, or an episode to an existing season and existing show?

Edited by quickmic

brian1709

Hi, not sure. I usually add a whole bunch of stuff once or twice a week. Some new shows, some new seasons and just episodes.

What I did was delete Emby Next Gen, as well as the DB and then re installed. It ran through everything perfectly this time.

Of course now we'll have to see when I add new stuff. I'll keep you updated.