Music Files

Petedjor

14 hours ago, Petedjor said:

Other or unstructured. Since having the problems I have tried all options. None made any difference.

But your music is "perfectly organized" correct?  Can you please be sure you upgrade the server to 4.6.3 and then change your music library setting to perfectly organized and let a full scan of that library finish and then try?

If you still have an issue then, we can try and chase it down.

Thanks.

Petedjor
11 minutes ago, ebr said:

But your music is "perfectly organized" correct?  Can you please be sure you upgrade the server to 4.6.3 and then change your music library setting to perfectly organized and let a full scan of that library finish and then try?

If you still have an issue then, we can try and chase it down.

Thanks.

I am on 4.6.3. Music Library is "perfectly organised". Full library scan started. Will check again later this afternoon. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Petedjor said:

I am on 4.6.3. Music Library is "perfectly organised". Full library scan started. Will check again later this afternoon. Thanks.

Thanks, looking forward to see what results you get.

Petedjor

Library scan finished. Emby on Android and PC all good. Firestick track listing in alphabetical order. Using folder view for everything as original set up.

Petedjor
45 minutes ago, ebr said:

If you don't use folder view, everything is fine on the Fire?

If I don't use folder view they display correctly. However, the whole system is based on folder view. Each artist or genre is classified as a folder with sub folders for albums, further sub-folder for CD1, CD2 etc. I need to use folder view or totally rework my system and it took me years to get it how I like it. If I use any other view it becomes a complete mess and impossible to manage. I could use folder view for browsing, then switch to another view for playing but I'd sooner cast from my phone than do that. I'd prefer the firestick to work like android and my laptop - how it did until a couple of months ago.

Edited by Petedjor
Typo

This sounds like you've been using folder view as a crutch vs tagging your music files???

Petedjor
5 minutes ago, cayars said:

This sounds like you've been using folder view as a crutch vs tagging your music files???

They are all tagged and it all worked fine. It still works fine on Android and PC. It's hardly a "crutch" when the Fire app is changed and messes up my system.

I'm sorry I read what you said wrong.  I thought I read "If I don't use folder view".

But could you give us an idea how you have your files setup on disc?

Petedjor
13 minutes ago, cayars said:

I'm sorry I read what you said wrong.  I thought I read "If I don't use folder view".

But could you give us an idea how you have your files setup on disc?

I can't really understand what you thought I wrote.

However, my media library is set up based on folders; Music folloewd by sub-categories of artist or compilation type etc;

image.thumb.png.6e35d1ead0dd5f412f5e4fe110dbef5e.png

Te next level;

image.png.87b4d68ef9cd980dac8ecd12525e1295.png

etc;

image.png.6a06ee1e9b018f5637df3b96cc8ee19f.png

I also seperate Classical by having a category of Classical in the second level

image.png.7511833df37863b59fcef30e1584019c.png

And;

image.png.5a7dea6603859a7849474566e6999301.png

My audio book library is similarly structured, as is TV and Radio.

image.png

Edited by Petedjor
Typo

Any reason you don't do /artist/album/track for maximum Emby functionality?

Petedjor
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

Any reason you don't do /artist/album/track for maximum Emby functionality?

No reason. I like the structure of the disk system and it needs to be able to cover all eventualities, compilations, co-artists, rare one off recordings, etc. I like to identify by type of music, band or composer, albums or operas etc. The traditional disk folder system works for me. No need to add unnecessary complications. Please don't try to persuade me to change the way I like things. I bought Emby as it could do what I wanted. Now, it's been changed so that it doesn't.

Traditionally the /artist/album/track layout work best in Emby but with 4.6+ the disc layout isn't as important unless you have disc based images you want to use.

Was just asking, but this shouldn't affect your issue.

Petedjor
4 minutes ago, cayars said:

Traditionally the /artist/album/track layout work best in Emby but with 4.6+ the disc layout isn't as important unless you have disc based images you want to use.

Was just asking, but this shouldn't affect your issue.

Fine. I was more than happy with it before the Fire Stick changes and yes, I prefer to use the album art I already have (from the original CDs or vinyl).

Happy2Play

What is the Sort order set on that screen in folder view?  Is there a difference in sort order on one client vs the other?

Petedjor
8 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

What is the Sort order set on that screen in folder view?  Is there a difference in sort order on one client vs the other?

On PC - Filename

On Android - Filename

Firestick - File name has disappeared! Name ascending and name descending are amongst some really strange options. I've just checked and it's picking up the Tag Title and using that - disregarding anything else. I'm sure filename used to be used.

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, Petedjor said:

On PC - Filename

On Android - Filename

Firestick - File name has disappeared! Name ascending and name descending are amongst some really strange options. I've just checked and it's picking up the Tag Title and using that - disregarding anything else. I'm sure filename used to be used.

Not a device user but now the dev knows where to look as yes it should have the same sort options here.

Can you post the client version number.

Petedjor
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

Not a device user but now the dev knows where to look as yes it should have the same sort options here.

Can you post the client version number.

Where is that? Also will it be different on PC, Android and Firestick?

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, Petedjor said:

Where is that? Also will it be different on PC, Android and Firestick?

I would look at the Dashboard at Active Devices should show the client version number.  But every client/app has their own version number.  All the devs will need it the Fire TV.

Petedjor
28 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

I would look at the Dashboard at Active Devices should show the client version number.  But every client/app has their own version number.  All the devs will need it the Fire TV.

My screen shows Version: 2.0.21a Registered. Pete-Laptop (4.6.3.0). Will this help?

Edited by Petedjor
Request

pwhodges
4 hours ago, Petedjor said:

I could use folder view for browsing, then switch to another view for playing

Actually, because there's no linkage between the views, you can't realistically do that.  I hope that over time the display of folders which contain music files will be extended and refined to become an adequate alternative to the album view generated purely by metadata; after all, there's nothing preventing our files containing useful metadata even if it isn't used to structure the views.

Like you, I use folder view.  Not only because I have nearly twenty years of organisation built into it, but because metadata simply doesn't have the mechanism to organise my music - for me there is no other way possible than a folder view.

Paul

Happy2Play

My screen shows Version: 2.0.21a Registered. Pete-Laptop (4.6.3.0). Will this help?

May want to edit or remove image as it shows your WAN address.  

Petedjor
6 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

Actually, because there's no linkage between the views, you can't realistically do that.  I hope that over time the display of folders which contain music files will be extended and refined to become an adequate alternative to the album view generated purely by metadata; after all, there's nothing preventing our files containing useful metadata even if it isn't used to structure the views.

Like you, I use folder view.  Not only because I have nearly twenty years of organisation built into it, but because metadata simply doesn't have the mechanism to organise my music - for me there is no other way possible than a folder view.

Paul

Definitely agree. Folder view is logical. It reflects the way I act when I look for something to play.

Edited by Petedjor
Typo

Petedjor
8 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

May want to edit or remove image as it shows your WAN address.  

I don't seem to be able to remove the upload.

Happy2Play

I don't seem to be able to remove the upload.

I can remove it, but do you see the delete button in the uploaded image section?  It will be at the bottom right of the image.