Google TV (dongle) Doesn't scrobble music to last.fm but ...

Maisy

Maisy

Playing music on android phone, tablet, on PC all scrobble to last.fm.

Playing music on the Google TV version of Emby, last.fm has now playing notice but permanent scrobbles don't post. This was happening before 4.6 update to the Emby Server and is still the same since 4.6* server updates.

All the plays of music are in Activity on the server. All the music is played via my last.fm connected account.

Edited by Maisy

1 hour ago, Maisy said:

This was happening before 4.6 update to the Emby

Hi.  What was happening prior to 4.6?  It worked properly then or it didn't?

The app does not do anything directly to cause a "scrobble".  The plug-in would be handling that.

Maisy

No, it didn't work right then. I know it's the server that has to scrobble via that plugin, which is why it is quizzical in the first place.

Same on Google TV before and after 4.6. It'll give a Now Playing notification on last.fm, but no actual scrobbling sticks. If I start playing it on Emby Theater on pc instead, or android phone or tablet, scrobbles stick. FWIW.

I don't know if it is the same on Android TV because I mostly haven't used that, just the Google TV occasionally. We got it in December 2020 so ... since then it has been like this.

I just would like to figure out if it can ever work.

Edited by Maisy

It must be something different in the app but I'm not sure what at this point.

Did you play the track until it ended on it's own, or did you stop near the end?

Maisy

this last time I played 4 tracks full to their end on a playlist, and let it stop on it's own. The server has the Activity shown correctly, I tried it last a couple of days ago, so I'd have to retry it for logs, but can't right now.

Maisy

I just tried Emby playing music on one of the Android 9 Sony tv's (Emby app 2.0.0.9g) we have and the same thing happens, music plays fine, reports on last.fm as now playing, but when the song ends it's not scrobbled. Refresh the last.fm page, it disappears entirely.

I immediately went to my phone, played a song all the way through and once it was done, refreshed last.fm page, the track sticks correctly scrobbled.

I think this is going to come down to exactly what the last.fm plug-in is looking for to execute that operation (scrobble).

Maisy

It's beyond me to be able to do anything about this... 

So nobody else has this problem? Or am I the lonely scrobbler of music here on Android TV platforms? 👻

Maisy

If you want logs tell me what and I'll make it happen again and get them.

Maisy

Hail Mary throw... sideloaded the most recent beta for android tv (2.0.26g), and same thing plays fine, says now playing on last fm, then the scrobbles disappear (don't stick.)

Maisy

Meaning they don't stick after the Now Playing goes away.

17 hours ago, Maisy said:

Meaning they don't stick after the Now Playing goes away.

Hi, they don't stick where exactly?

Maisy

Ok this is the thing, the songs play and show on last.fm as "scrobbling now" (on the actual last.fm website)

When each song ends it should then change on the site to a static look that it was scrobbled and the next song plays as "scrobbling now" ... on and on until the music stops then there is nothing on last.fm when all the songs SHOULD be scrobbled.

I played around a bit ago again. Playing in Emby app on Google TV dongle no full scrobbling. Play on Emby Theater to the Emby app on dongle, no full scrobbling.

The only way to scrobble and listen on the TV is to use Chrome Browser and cast the tab to Google TV dongle, then and only then playing music scrobbles fully ... song are "scrobbling now" as playing then become static scrobbled items as they are supposed to.