Live TV Tagging - hide

gillmacca01

gillmacca01

I have tags that have been created from my M3U file that I do not want (I want to create my own)

Is there a way to either, 

1....Not add tags from M3U

2...Hide the tags, either by parental rating or tagging, but without it being applied to the channels inside the tag

Hi, right now the best way to do this would be to strip out the groups in the m3u file. This way they would never load.

gillmacca01

Not really ideal for me, as my M3U file can change

9 minutes ago, gillmacca01 said:

Not really ideal for me, as my M3U file can change

Yes of course.  It would need to be scripted to do this or you could run your m3u files through something like xTeVe which I think could be used to remove the groups or to create groups that you do want. (ie Sports, News, Entertainment, Premium, etc).

gillmacca01

I just removed xteve recently as I felt Emby did what I needed. Never though about tags

BillOatman
Just now, gillmacca01 said:

I just removed xteve recently as I felt Emby did what I needed. Never though about tags

If you find a editor you like such as xteve or iptvboss it will do a better job than anything like Emby.  Emby is probably fine for 90% of users, but generally not for any kind of a power user.

I'm a power user with a lot of lineups and I don't need it. :)

Just curious but could someone post a screenshot of all the tags being auto configured on m3u import?
What OS are you guys running Emby Server on? 

• Haha 1

BillOatman
1 hour ago, cayars said:

I'm a power user with a lot of lineups and I don't need it. :)

Just curious but could someone post a screenshot of all the tags being auto configured on m3u import?
What OS are you guys running Emby Server on? 

I'm not sure what he means by m3u tags, but I run my Emby server on Windows.

m3u will have "groups" assigned.  When imported into Emby these groups become tags.

So really I meant to say "m3u file with groups" in them. Sorry for any confusion on what I meant.

BillOatman
On 6/6/2021 at 12:19 AM, cayars said:

m3u will have "groups" assigned.  When imported into Emby these groups become tags.

So really I meant to say "m3u file with groups" in them. Sorry for any confusion on what I meant.

Ahh makes sense.  No worries.  I have several m3u files that I maintain in IPTVBoss that gives Emby a very small (couple hundred maybe) subset of channels. Is there a particular page I could screenshot, or will it be obvious when I go to the live TV configuration section. 

I've never used IPTVBoss before, but maybe check out it's options to see if it can remove or not use groups.
If there is any option like that you would be set.

BillOatman

Every player I've seen except Emby takes advantage of groups to display channels in a more logical and user friendly manner. But you could create one new group in IPTVBoss and dump all of the channels there if you wanted to, and delete all the other groups defined in the M3U files.  I have no desire to do this though.  Short of Emby displaying groups similar to other players like Tivimate for example, I'm satisfied with how it is working now. I just stay vigilant and prune the channel list for Emby down to a reasonable limit to scroll through and let TiviMate have them all.

It's been a long time since I have used xTeVe, but I suspect it could do that as well.

Edited by BillOatman

Maybe I'm not understanding what you're looking for.  Emby does it with tags in live TV vs groups but they are derived by the groups.
Then you can do this
image.png.a2d60a6cd299de0955f9edac83b5d79c.png

Isn't that what you want to do?

BillOatman

I actually wasn't looking to do anything, just participating :)    But I can look at those tags.  My channels show up in emby sorted by the groups that IPTVBoss has, just without the collapsible group nodes.  So its as good as its going to get now for me.  Maybe the OP can use that though.

gillmacca01

I was hoping it was something I could do in Emby (removing or hiding groups), without having to use a 3rd party program

But what exactly is it you want to do.

1. Don't get the group/tags imported into Emby?
2. Get them imported and be able to use this info to hide certain channels that are part of that group?

gillmacca01

I think in my case, I'd rather not have groups imported, but I understand, that unless there is more demand from end users for a 'do not import' option, then it might not happen

• Like 1

BillOatman
20 hours ago, gillmacca01 said:

I think in my case, I'd rather not have groups imported, but I understand, that unless there is more demand from end users for a 'do not import' option, then it might not happen

That's exactly what the 3rd party "epg groomer" apps are great at.