Music Albums Missing HELP PLEASE!

Natasha1978
Go to solution Solved by Carlo,

51 minutes ago, generiq said:

I've never wanted to use tagging. It often provides too much information, such as  collaborative artists, which emby then breaks out into individual artists. I now have hundreds of artists with one song to their credit that isn't even their song, and I have never heard of half of these people. It's an S show. Now, I have to tag everything and remove all of these artists from the extended metadata that the tagging software has seen fit to include, and that I don't want. I've got hundreds of various artist albums that have now been individualized into single artists with one song to their credit. 

Emby has done a very bad thing!

I apologize for the disruption. We chose to adopt industry standard behavior, but we could certainly look at adding more options. By industry standard what I mean is that if you were to import the same music into windows media player or itunes, you'd see the same result there.

generiq

To clarify what has happened. I had previously used emby's metadata editor to give me what I wanted, and it worked quite well. Along comes 4.6, ignores my edits and arbitrarily goes and finds different information and applies it. A lot of it is just wrong. Not even the correct artist. 

4 minutes ago, generiq said:

To clarify what has happened. I had previously used emby's metadata editor to give me what I wanted, and it worked quite well. Along comes 4.6, ignores my edits and arbitrarily goes and finds different information and applies it. A lot of it is just wrong. Not even the correct artist. 

It is the information that's embedded within the audio file though, right?

generiq
6 minutes ago, Luke said:

It is the information that's embedded within the audio file though, right?

I honestly don't know. I have never applied any tags until now. I have too many to look what each one has done. All I know is that most of the changes are wrong... completely wrong. I don't have time to check and correct every one of them. So I'm not checking anything, and I am systematically tagging each and every individual song, album artist, and album...and removing all composers, collaborative artists and comments. Then running hundreds of library scans, to make sure everything is displayed how I want it.

Happy2Play

Doesn't folder view provide you your exact needs, as all other tabs are tag driven.

generiq
9 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Doesn't folder view provide you your exact needs, as all other tabs are tag driven.

Of I wanted the folder view, I wouldn't have spent weeks editing the metadata and downloading the pictures I wanted.

My trust is lost. I won't allow this to happen again. 

Wait, your saying you have never updated tags in your music files but instead made changes manually via meta-data editor in Emby? If that's the case I'm sure we all understand your frustration but you've been doing this the har/improper way as music is tag driven (read the info from the tracks themselves) where it's supposed to be embedded/tagged.  This isn't an Emby thing but the way the whole industry works with music files.  You should be able to load you music in anything from iTunes, to WMC to Emby and get the same information just after import.

Stop what you're planning to do especially if it's what you did the first time as that's not how to handle music.  Instead read https://support.emby.media/a/solutions/articles/44001159113 which will describe how to handle music in Emby as it's 100% tag driven.

generiq

It's not improper. How dare you! Are you always this rude? I know what I'm doing, and I will make my own choices. 

Edited by generiq

Sorry not trying to be rude but if your intent is to try and change the info in the database then that is an improper way to load music and isn't going to work.  I'm just trying to save you from going down a long/bad method that ultimately won't work as Emby is 100% tag driven for music album files. Editing of this information needs to be done at the track/album level in the files themselves which Emby will read.

That is the way music works in Emby. See our knowledge base article which explains this:
https://support.emby.media/a/solutions/articles/44001159113

generiq

I am about 30% of the way through updating my library, and my methodology is working correctly. Perhaps you should read more carefully as to what I am doing, and not make incorrect assumptions.

18 hours ago, generiq said:

I don't have time to check and correct every one of them. So I'm not checking anything, and I am systematically tagging each and every individual song, album artist, and album...and removing all composers, collaborative artists and comments. Then running hundreds of library scans, to make sure everything is displayed how I want it.

22 hours ago, generiq said:

Yeah, this latest move to 100% tagging is so bad. It's ruined my music library. I'm presently manually correcting the metadata of more than 15000 files, and locking every one of them.

21 hours ago, generiq said:

Nope! I'll fix it. It's not the first time emby has done something like this. I'm taking control away from the server.

20 hours ago, generiq said:

Nope! They are Music Video and Music library types. Checked and verified. Emby did a bad thing, and I'm not giving it permission to rewrite the metadata, moving forward.

I'm in the process of fixing the music library, and denying emby write privileges for the future. 

But out of curiosity, how would a music video in an mkv container be corrected by something like Picard? I've already corrected that disaster and locked the metadata.

I've never wanted to use tagging. It often provides too much information, such as  collaborative artists, which emby then breaks out into individual artists. I now have hundreds of artists with one song to their credit that isn't even their song, and I have never heard of half of these people. It's an S show. Now, I have to tag everything and remove all of these artists from the extended metadata that the tagging software has seen fit to include, and that I don't want. I've got hundreds of various artist albums that have now been individualized into single artists with one song to their credit. 

Emby has done a very bad thing!

19 hours ago, generiq said:

We are only trying to help you to not have another issue in the future.  But it sounds like you are still trying to manually update things through the database and locking them which isn't going to work well and may not be supported in the future for music at all.  It's not intended to work that way now.  There really is no need for meta-data editing of album music because Emby should be reading this from the tracks themselves.  100% of album music info should come from tags in the music itself.
https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159113-music-naming

There are lots of good software for editing/tagging music tracks in the article above.

Once your music is tagged the way you want it, Emby should display it the same way it's tagged.

generiq

Now you're being obnoxious. I said that I am now tagging. That isn't using emby's metadata editor. TAGGING would be using TAGS. I am now forced to do this. So I'm using TAGGING software to, again, TAG the files. And then I'm forced to manually edit the TAGS, and remove unwanted metadata. I stated that I would not allow emby to further edit my metadata, which would mean not using emby for any of my metadata. And after running library scans, my TAG edits are displaying exactly as I want them. You can now stop trolling me, thanks.

19 hours ago, generiq said:

I don't have time to check and correct every one of them. So I'm not checking anything, and I am systematically TAGGING each and every individual song, album artist, and album...and removing all composers, collaborative artists and comments. Then running hundreds of library scans, to make sure everything is displayed how I want it.

Wolfchant

Same problem here, after the update missing 600 to 700 albums that are al tagged with mp3tag, lots of duplicates and lots of albums not detected after rescan

generiq
31 minutes ago, Wolfchant said:

Same problem here, after the update missing 600 to 700 albums that are al tagged with mp3tag, lots of duplicates and lots of albums not detected after rescan

Check the extended metadata in your tags. Emby uses that, too. This is why I hate tagging.

Wolfchant
9 minutes ago, generiq said:

Check the extended metadata in your tags. Emby uses that, too. This is why I hate tagging.

All my music is tagged the same way so thats not the problem, in one folder it only scans 71 albums but i have 103 in that folder, before the update nothing was wrong.

8 minutes ago, Wolfchant said:

All my music is tagged the same way so thats not the problem, in one folder it only scans 71 albums but i have 103 in that folder, before the update nothing was wrong.

Can you please go over an example? Thanks !

Deathsquirrel
14 minutes ago, Wolfchant said:

If you post an example with pics of how the album is tagged in your tagging tool, I like MP3Tag for this as it shows a nice table, I'm sure we can figure it out.

Wolfchant
4 minutes ago, Luke said:

Can you please go over an example? Thanks !

I just found the problem, when the album artist tag is empty they won't work, but when i add them and refresh metadata the album is detected.

now the other part, the 71 albums that worked emby has auto filled the album artist but the tag in the mp3 is empty i added an example.

tag.png

53 minutes ago, Wolfchant said:

I just found the problem, when the album artist tag is empty they won't work, but when i add them and refresh metadata the album is detected.

now the other part, the 71 albums that worked emby has auto filled the album artist but the tag in the mp3 is empty i added an example.

tag.png

Right, you need values for both albumartist and album in order to create an album grouping.

When the albumartist is empty in the embedded audio tags, most of the time Emby will attempt to auto-fill it from the artist tag. So that's why you're seeing that there. 

Wolfchant
5 minutes ago, Luke said:

Right, you need values for both albumartist and album in order to create an album grouping.

When the albumartist is empty in the embedded audio tags, most of the time Emby will attempt to auto-fill it from the artist tag. So that's why you're seeing that there. 

and how is the release date field filled? i used an external album.nfo to fill that but its not reading that.

<album>
<premiered>2021-05-22</premiered>
<releasedate>2021-05-22</releasedate>
</album>

this is not working anymore?

7 minutes ago, Wolfchant said:

and how is the release date field filled? i used an external album.nfo to fill that but its not reading that.

<album>
<premiered>2021-05-22</premiered>
<releasedate>2021-05-22</releasedate>
</album>

this is not working anymore?

That can come from embedded information within the audio files, if it is present. It can also come from album.nfo. We'll look into why it's not getting read. Thanks.

Wolfchant
9 minutes ago, Luke said:

That can come from embedded information within the audio files, if it is present. It can also come from album.nfo. We'll look into why it's not getting read. Thanks.

oke thanks, just for the info i also used the premiered and releasedate tag and tags from another topic retaildate, retail_date and date but none are filling the release date field. that why is used the album.nfo method but thats not working now.

Edited by Wolfchant

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2021 at 4:56 PM, Natasha1978 said:

Hi Generiq,

I am in the same situation as you are! This new update and tagging system messed up my music library too, it's been a total mess for me as well.I  have spent days trying to correct everything and it's beyond frustrating!!! Best of luck to you!  

@Natasha1978 has the advice in this thread related to the album and albumartist tags helped you resolve the issue?