Music Albums Missing HELP PLEASE!

Natasha1978
Go to solution Solved by Carlo,

Natasha1978

Hey Everyone,

I hope someone can help me with this issue. When Emby updated to it's newest version I seem to be missing some of my music.  When I go into the" albums section" it says I have  827 items showing. However, when I go into "folders" it shows the correct amount which is 868 items. Why in my albums section does it only show 827 items and not the total of 868 ? I  did a media scan and that didn't help. I  even uninstalled Emby totally and re-installed it with the same issue. Attaching screen capture. Capture 1 is my "Albums" NOTE  the red circle which shows total number of albums. Image 2 is the "Folders" screen capture that shows 868 albums total. NOTE the red circle that represents that correct number that is in my collection at the moment.  

Please help my Emby friends because I really want all my music back where it should be and as it was before the Emby update.

Emby Albums 1.JPG

Emby Folders 2.JPG

Hi, folders are not the same as albums. Albums are based on the embedded information in your audio files.

Perhaps some are grouped together as one album based on this information 

Can you please go over an example of one that you think is missing? Thanks.

Natasha1978

Hi Luke,

All my media (music, movies etc,) is on an external hard drive. I didn't group anything together or change anything. The total amount of albums I  should have is 868 albums which shows that number of albums  when you go into folders section. So my music of 868 albums are there but when you go into "albums'  it only shows 827 albums as my total. I never had these issues with the previous version of Emby.  With the previous Emby version I plugged  in my external had drive and all 868 albums showed up perfectly. I made no changes to anything. Please help me resolve this. 

You likely have duplicate albums in different folders but when looking at tags they are the same album. If for example you had Pink Floyd's The Wall in Flac and mp3 on disc you might consider this 2 albums but it's actually one album with different formats.

Natasha1978

I don't have anything in a different format at all. In the pervious Emby version before this new update everything was displayed perfectly. So if I changed nothing before, and it worked perfectly why now is it messed up? I  If there were duplicates I would have had the same issue in the pervious Emby version. I had no problems in that version what so ever, everything worked beautifully. 

Edited by Natasha1978

• Solution

Nutshell explanation. Emby previously was mostly tag driven but would use the disc folder layout to group albums.  It doesn't do this anymore but now is 100% tag driven.
So  So previously your album count would roughly match your folders, but since the folder layout doesn't matter anymore for the most part (short of using your own disc based graphics) it will match the count as tagged in your tracks.

Previously it was hard to diagnose or find some issues because you never knew if they were layout/folder based or tag based issues.  With 4.6+ if your albums don't appear correct it's a tagging issue in the media itself.

In 4.6+ versions of Emby you could take it track of an album and put it in it's own folder and it really wouldn't matter.  All the tags would get read into the database and from here it's once again one album as location is not important, only tagging is.

Does that help?

Natasha1978

So how do I get it back the way it was in the previous Emby version? I have been a Emby user for a long time and loved it. However, I have to say, I absolutely hate this new update! Not happy at all. Ever since this new version I've had nothing but trouble. I have a ton of  friends that I have turned onto Emby because I loved it so much. Now all my friends (who are now having the same issues) are  leaving Emby ,they hate the new changes and every one of them said they are cancelling their accounts.

Edited by Natasha1978

The way to get it back is to edit the tags of your music files to display the way you want.  Albums are no longer disc/folder based but tag based.

Essentially Emby was most likely masking issues previously with your tagging that are now apparent and need adjusting.

The new changes are great because they show the source of the problem (tagging).  Some people fight looking/fixing the tagging while others will just adjust them and move on.

If you want to show specific examples of what's wrong then we can help you. But I can say with almost 100% certainty if your albums aren't showing correctly it's because the tagging is off.

Edited by cayars
  • Like 1

Happy2Play

Previous versions were not 100% embedded tag drive like now.

Your have folders for Disc 1 and Disc 2, so folder view sees 2 items.  But they are 1 album so album view will group them into the 1 album they actually are.

Album groups based off of embedded tags.

Folder present your structure.

generiq

Yeah, this latest move to 100% tagging is so bad. It's ruined my music library. I'm presently manually correcting the metadata of more than 15000 files, and locking every one of them. It's also turned most of my music videos into movies and spread them throughout multiple libraries. The only videos it didn't change, were already locked. A complete mess. I've already corrected those and locked them. It'll take months to fix this. I often just play them directly from file and don't use emby, as I can't find the music I'm looking for in the library, because it's been renamed in the metadata. It's a disaster!

Something here does not sound correct.  Can you click on the admin library menu option in the web app and post a screen shot of the right side library setups?

generiq

Nope! I'll fix it. It's not the first time emby has done something like this. I'm taking control away from the server.

I'm not sure what you mean by that but likely it's a library type issue which is why I asked to see the pic.

Natasha1978
1 hour ago, generiq said:

Yeah, this latest move to 100% tagging is so bad. It's ruined my music library. I'm presently manually correcting the metadata of more than 15000 files, and locking every one of them. It's also turned most of my music videos into movies and spread them throughout multiple libraries. The only videos it didn't change, were already locked. A complete mess. I've already corrected those and locked them. It'll take months to fix this. I often just play them directly from file and don't use emby, as I can't find the music I'm looking for in the library, because it's been renamed in the metadata. It's a disaster!

Hi Generiq,

I am in the same situation as you are! This new update and tagging system messed up my music library too, it's been a total mess for me as well.I  have spent days trying to correct everything and it's beyond frustrating!!! Best of luck to you!  

• Like 1

generiq

Nope! They are Music Video and Music library types. Checked and verified. Emby did a bad thing, and I'm not giving it permission to rewrite the metadata, moving forward.

6 minutes ago, Natasha1978 said:

Hi Generiq,

I am in the same situation as you are! This new update and tagging system messed up my music library too, it's been a total mess for me as well.I  have spent days trying to correct everything and it's beyond frustrating!!! Best of luck to you!  

Did you try using a tool like Picard to automatically tag your entire music library all at once? You could just do that and then run a library scan in Emby Server.

generiq
14 minutes ago, Luke said:

Did you try using a tool like Picard to automatically tag your entire music library all at once? You could just do that and then run a library scan in Emby Server.

I'm in the process of fixing the music library, and denying emby write privileges for the future. 

But out of curiosity, how would a music video in an mkv container be corrected by something like Picard? I've already corrected that disaster and locked the metadata.

generiq

I've never wanted to use tagging. It often provides too much information, such as  collaborative artists, which emby then breaks out into individual artists. I now have hundreds of artists with one song to their credit that isn't even their song, and I have never heard of half of these people. It's an S show. Now, I have to tag everything and remove all of these artists from the extended metadata that the tagging software has seen fit to include, and that I don't want. I've got hundreds of various artist albums that have now been individualized into single artists with one song to their credit. 

Emby has done a very bad thing!

54 minutes ago, generiq said:

Nope! They are Music Video and Music library types. Checked and verified. Emby did a bad thing, and I'm not giving it permission to rewrite the metadata, moving forward.

What was the "bad thing" you keep saying?  You're talking in riddles and not giving us information to help you or to see if there could be an issue that needs fixing in the new release.

What you describe happening with compilation and individual artists is by design. The artist should get credit for being part of a track just as a guest star is linked to specific episodes of a TV Series. You can of course change this via tagging if you don't like it and Emby will respect any tagging changes you make.

Changing Emby to read only status will not change how music works because Emby doesn't write to music tracks, only reads them.

generiq
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

What was the "bad thing" you keep saying?  You're talking in riddles and not giving us information to help you or to see if there could be an issue that needs fixing in the new release.

What you describe happening with compilation and individual artists is by design. The artist should get credit for being part of a track just as a guest star is linked to specific episodes of a TV Series. You can of course change this via tagging if you don't like it and Emby will respect any tagging changes you make.

Changing Emby to read only status will not change how music works because Emby doesn't write to music tracks, only reads them.

Hmmm... So turning my music videos into movies, sounds reasonable to you? And as for music, if what's happened is intended, then whomever made that decision should be fired. Was it your decision to do this? Nobody, and nothing, should unilaterally decide how my archive should be displayed. That choice is mine, and mine alone.

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, generiq said:

Was it your decision to do this?

Nope the program developer did.  It resolves 99.9% of all Music issue if your music it tagged properly.

5 minutes ago, generiq said:

Nobody, and nothing, should unilaterally decide how my archive should be displayed. That choice is mine, and mine alone.

Technically the program you use does unless you are referring to not using anything to display your media.

generiq
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

Technically the program you use does unless you are referring to not using anything to display your media.

Oh that's not true on any level! This is why we have options to change the behavior...or at least there should be. And in this case, that is the very bad thing emby has done. They usurped my choice, and this is the reason for my revoking the server's control to rewrite the metadata. Things like this have happened too many times.

1 hour ago, generiq said:

I'm in the process of fixing the music library, and denying emby write privileges for the future. 

But out of curiosity, how would a music video in an mkv container be corrected by something like Picard? I've already corrected that disaster and locked the metadata.

Hi, music videos were not significantly changed in this release. It sounds to me like you've gotten unwanted internet metadata added to your music videos based on your emby library settings. We'd have to dig deeper to find out for sure though.

Can we please look at an example? @Happy2Play can also break your postings out to a new topic as it sounds unrelated to this particular one. Thanks.