Multiple NextPvr Instances

herrep

herrep

Hi,

Is there a way of maintaining multiple NextPvr instances that connect to an Emby Media Server? The reason is that I run a network with VPN connections in two countries. There is a NextPvr besides a local SAT>IP tuner, but one Emby Server where both NextPvr should be connected to. Is this somehow supported?

Best regard,
Peter

emveepee

This is a feature that I have no plan on implementing it is a pretty esoteric use-case.  Perhaps create static routes through tunnels on your NextPVR server?

Martin

herrep

This is the way I presently run it. As a matter of fact, the VPN connection in between causes additional packet loss. Furthermore, I have quite some negative effects in NetPvr when having the DVB tuner in a different network.

So it would be more convient to have a NextPvr instance that is local to the DBV tuner. At the local NextPvr instance, recordings can be triggered without having a long path between NextPvr and DVB tuner. However, the recordings can be stored on a central media drive where Emby is located. This gives the benefit that recordings are not affected by a dead VPN connection or by high latency.

But when going this way, the present version of the NextPvr plugin only allows to connect to one NextPvr instance.

emveepee

Ok, but no this is not going to happen in the plugin.  @sub3 still hasn't looked at the problem so I don't want to say all the issues are related to this.  Ultimately dropped packets from a network or from the signal source is going to lead to a bad PVR experience no matter what.

Also since this is the Emby forum you should probably focus on asking for improvements in Emby  DVR, so you don't need NextPVR. 

Martin

Martin would he not be able to export an M3U file from the remote server (even transcoded to take less bandwidth) and feed that into the local NextPVR instance?

emveepee

My limited understanding is he is using two SAT>IP source in NextPVR with their OTA guide data.  Otherwise If he was using an m3u from the SAT>IP source he could simply use that m3u in Emby.  As you well know we often have to guess the full requirements on these wishlist requests

Martin

Edited by emveepee
  • Agree 1

herrep
20 hours ago, cayars said:

Martin would he not be able to export an M3U file from the remote server (even transcoded to take less bandwidth) and feed that into the local NextPVR instance?

@cayars Thank you very much for your considerations. In fact, the DVB tuners (AVM Fritz!Box 6490 and AVM Fritz!Box 6591) also provide M3U files so that I can feed them directly into Emby without using NextPVR for Live TV access in Emby. However, the disadvantage is that Emby cannot process the embedded EPG information. So for the Live TV access, I ended up by directly accessing the RTSP streams (M3U file) from the DVB tuners and adding an xmltv service for retrieving EPG independent from the DVB tuners. Clearly, as my DVB tuners are located in different networks connected via a VPN, I encounter some quality issues when watching a stream from a distant DVB tuner.

Therefore, I prefer to have local NextPVR instances, each beside the respective DVB tuner, so that there is a short path between NextPVR and DVB tuner for recording particular videos. Either I will primarily store recordings on a drive local to the NextPVR instance to avoid any disturbances across network boundaries, or I will mount a storage via VPN if NextPVR's buffering capabilities allow this. So the idea is to have recordings in best possible quality as the DVB tuner has a short way to NextPVR instead of having one centralized solution where all RTSP streams need to be sent in real time, resulting in degraded quality because of packet loss.

The only limitation I see is that the recording are not automatically managed like when having the NextPVR Plugin in Emby.

So I am looking for a sound solution where I can somehow manage the recordings available from more than one NextPVR instance, including the metadata.

Edited by herrep
  • Like 1