Jump to content

Has anyone managed to get a good Install of Emby Theather on a Raspberry Pi 4?


OurfamilySpot
 Share

Recommended Posts

OurfamilySpot
Posted (edited)

I see a lot of differing statements, and can’t tell if I am chasing something that just hasn’t been done.

I have a Raspberry Pi 4, 4MB and a 8MB.   I have using the “bundled” Raspberry PI so & Emby image and the play back and navigation of very poor (stutters, frame skips).  This is on H264 video encoded at 480p. 

I have tried doing the Raspian desktop (32bit) and the followed the instructions to install ET.   Same results.  Poor Playback and navigation

I have installed Ubuntu 21.04 Desktop then ET.   Better results.

I have even installed LibreElect with the Emby add-in —- Great Results it works.

I am looking for a recommendation and hopefully someone will come out and say “Hey yeah it works for me” to help me get this working.    I rather not use Ubuntu because I am carrying the weight of a desktop OS and packages.  I rather not use LibreElect and I really only want ET.

I would love to use the combined Raspberrypi Image and ET but no one seems able to say what needs to be done to get smooth playback and navigation on it, or if it is a known issue and being worked on.

 

Help?

Edited by OurfamilySpot
Link to comment
Share on other sites

rlp122

Same issues.  I've got it down to where it plays decent, but the audio dips out randomly.  Still haven't found any settings or hacks to get it to be smooth. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, we're looking into improving it. Thanks for reporting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
EdwinH
On 6/4/2021 at 6:22 PM, Luke said:

Hi, we're looking into improving it. Thanks for reporting.

This 'answer' has been given for the last 8 months now on all Rpi4 problems installed Emby Theater.

A little more detail would be appreciated.

Like , is it known yet why Emby theater movie playback is stuttering on a Rpi4 ? is there a solution in the making ?
Communication is more than the line ' thank you for your report'

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EdwinH
On 6/2/2021 at 1:45 AM, OurfamilySpot said:

I see a lot of differing statements, and can’t tell if I am chasing something that just hasn’t been done.

I have a Raspberry Pi 4, 4MB and a 8MB.   I have using the “bundled” Raspberry PI so & Emby image and the play back and navigation of very poor (stutters, frame skips).  This is on H264 video encoded at 480p. 

I have tried doing the Raspian desktop (32bit) and the followed the instructions to install ET.   Same results.  Poor Playback and navigation

I have installed Ubuntu 21.04 Desktop then ET.   Better results.

I have even installed LibreElect with the Emby add-in —- Great Results it works.

I am looking for a recommendation and hopefully someone will come out and say “Hey yeah it works for me” to help me get this working.    I rather not use Ubuntu because I am carrying the weight of a desktop OS and packages.  I rather not use LibreElect and I really only want ET.

I would love to use the combined Raspberrypi Image and ET but no one seems able to say what needs to be done to get smooth playback and navigation on it, or if it is a known issue and being worked on.

 

Help?

From time to time I install newest version of ET on a flashdrive, to see is my Rpi4 would play movies in ET stutter free, no success so far.

Till then my Rpi4 runs LibreElec with Emby-con add-in and plays movies stutter free, even H265 !

I also would love to dedicated Rpi4 ET image which would would play movies flawless.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, EdwinH said:

From time to time I install newest version of ET on a flashdrive, to see is my Rpi4 would play movies in ET stutter free, no success so far.

Till then my Rpi4 runs LibreElec with Emby-con add-in and plays movies stutter free, even H265 !

I also would love to dedicated Rpi4 ET image which would would play movies flawless.

 

We do have dedicated images. Have you tried those?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EdwinH
On 7/29/2021 at 2:25 PM, Luke said:

We do have dedicated images. Have you tried those?

Those are the one's I try from time to time , latest being 3.0.15

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/emby-theater-electron/releases/download/3.0.15/emby-theater-rpi_3.0.15.zip

My experience :
On a Rpi3 3.0.9 runs decent ( just H265 does not play)
On my RPi4 no build has run ever smooth, always noticeable stutter

I tried dedicated builds 3.0.9, 3.0.10, 3.0.12 and 3.015 ,

I tried installing Ubuntu first then ET. I even tried LibreElec then installing ET.

Same result every time : movies / series do not play smooth at all on a RPi4 , very noticeable stutter playing frames, wich make watching a movie unbearable.

Good thing Kodi with emby-con does the trick and plays all ( even H265) on A Rpi4 smooth.

 

facts RPi4 runs smooth on Libre-Elec Kodi with Emby-con plugin, Libre-Elec with ET installed does not, Neither do dedicated ET images.

Conclusion problem must lie in ET software.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OurfamilySpot
2 hours ago, EdwinH said:

Those are the one's I try from time to time , latest being 3.0.15

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/emby-theater-electron/releases/download/3.0.15/emby-theater-rpi_3.0.15.zip

My experience :
On a Rpi3 3.0.9 runs decent ( just H265 does not play)
On my RPi4 no build has run ever smooth, always noticeable stutter

I tried dedicated builds 3.0.9, 3.0.10, 3.0.12 and 3.015 ,

I tried installing Ubuntu first then ET. I even tried LibreElec then installing ET.

Same result every time : movies / series do not play smooth at all on a RPi4 , very noticeable stutter playing frames, wich make watching a movie unbearable.

Good thing Kodi with emby-con does the trick and plays all ( even H265) on A Rpi4 smooth.

 

facts RPi4 runs smooth on Libre-Elec Kodi with Emby-con plugin, Libre-Elec with ET installed does not, Neither do dedicated ET images.

Conclusion problem must lie in ET software.

My answer is the same.   Yes I was testing and using the combine image as I stated in my first post.  Would love to see that answered, I think I lot of people here would like to see that answered.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OurfamilySpot
On 7/29/2021 at 7:25 AM, Luke said:

We do have dedicated images. Have you tried those?

That's been the statement we have a been making.   That dedicated image has unusable playback characteristics.    The ask has been has anyone gotten it to work acceptability, and not a single person has stated yes.    The next ask is what tuning if any should we try that might help, but given you prepared this as a dedicated image I would assume it is already tuned for optimal use.  The next ask was, is this a known issue or not and is it being worked?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are working on improving it. Thanks for the feedback.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
askog666

I don't think the Pi 4 is very suitable for running video apps on the Desktop because everything is software rendered. Your best bet would to be to install something like LIbreElec which is optimized for video playback and does not use a running Desktop. Install the EmbyCon nextgen plugin and the skin and you'll get a very good interface to Emby.

Also, performance wise, running the 32bit mode OS is not great. I have seen vastly improved performance on my 4gb Pi since installing the 64bit OS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...