When does Emby choose Dolby Vision over HDR

AmyLubow

jsc1205

I just got the 77" LG CX Oled, and tried a couple of 4K movies I have with Dolby Vision.  I'm noticing that Dolby Vision kicking in is kind of hit or miss.  For example, started playing one of the Hobbit movies and DV icon came up on TV.  Stopped playback, went to another movie to test, then came back to same Hobbit movie and only the HDR icon popped up on the TV.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
RanmaCanada

I know this is a slight Necro, but it's easier then creating a new post.  I am sorry.  I am having similar issues with the new Disney+ rips that are both HDR and DV.  Emby sees them as HDR only, and ignores the fact that there is DV in the container.  I have tested on my firestick 4k Max which should play these as DV, but they only play as HDR.  First string of text is from Media Info, second is a screen grab of the same file in Emby.

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main 10@L5@High
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC

image.png.259ea90b379929308d041f6d13143a77.png

rbjtech
8 hours ago, RanmaCanada said:

I know this is a slight Necro, but it's easier then creating a new post.  I am sorry.  I am having similar issues with the new Disney+ rips that are both HDR and DV.  Emby sees them as HDR only, and ignores the fact that there is DV in the container.  I have tested on my firestick 4k Max which should play these as DV, but they only play as HDR.  First string of text is from Media Info, second is a screen grab of the same file in Emby.

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main 10@L5@High
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC

image.png.259ea90b379929308d041f6d13143a77.png

• Dolby Vision. Dolby Vision support for Profile 4-MEL, 5, 8, 9. (Up to Level 9 for profiles 5 and 8. Up to Level 5 for Profile 9.)
  • H.265 (HEVC). Hardware accelerated up to 3840x2160p (4K) @ 60fps, 35 Mbps, Main 10 Profile Level 5.1, Color space 8-bit and 10-bit input with HDR10, HDR10+, and HLG.
  • H.264. Hardware accelerated up to 3840x2160p (4K) @ 60fps, 20 Mbps, High 10 Profile Level 5.2
  • H.263. Hardware accelerated up to 1080p @ 30fps, 6 Mbps, Profile 0 Level 70
  • VP8. Supported up to 1080p 30fps. Baseline profile, non-secure
  • VP9. Hardware accelerated up to 4K @ 60fps, Profile 2 up to 30 Mbps
  • MPEG-2. Hardware accelerated up to 1080p @ 60fps
  • MPEG-4. Up to 1080p @ 30fps, Simple and Advanced Simple Profiles Level 5, non-secure
  • AV1. Hardware accelerated up to 3840x2160p (4K) @60fps, 100Mbps, Main Profile Level 5.1, Color space 8-bit and 10-bit input with HDR10, HDR10+, and HLG.

Should be ok according to the Amazon speciation's.

Which container ? MKV, TS or MP4 ?

RanmaCanada

They are in an MKV container.  Emby Server is only reporting them as HDR, so I am thinking it's an issue with the server itself, as the server has no problems with playback of solo DV content, even though the server appears to recognize said solo DV content as SDR.  It appears to be a matter of what container it's in as I get different reports for MKV and for MP4.  I know this is a disaster waiting to happen in regards to possible problems with playback etc, and I am not complaining, I am just trying to ensure Luke and company know it is an issue as other users won't be "as friendly" in regards to the inability to playback this content properly.

If you would like more screen shots, etc, please feel free to ask and I'll provide as much data as I can.

rbjtech

Yea forget what Emby says, it can't recognise/report any DV content (yet) - although I believe this is in the works as ffmpeg now supports it.  It plays it back fine though as long as the client can natively play it.

Do you have any content in the MP4 container with the same DV/HDR10 attributes - ie (dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU, HDR10 compatible) ?  Does this play ok on the FireTV Max ?

Do you have any DV5 content (no HDR10) - how does this play ?

I'm sure you are aware but DV8 is basically somebody taking a 'HDR10' TV Rip and then applying the DV layers - to make it a DV8 (with importantly, HDR10 backward compatibility).

I'll be able to test a bit later on for you on my Shield (and FireTV max) - but I don't generally watch TV Shows on my Shield, thus I tend to steer clear of 'hacked' DV8 and stick with native DV7 direct from UHD disks or HDR10 for TV Shows.

Edited by rbjtech

RanmaCanada

I know about the metadata hacking that is being done, as I did point someone to the thread on doom9 about it.  As for my content, I'm not sure, as the new Disney+ stuff is the only one I noticed (I actually went out of my way to grab it as I wanted to test to save space) as I have separate libraries for DV and HDR, except in my TV shows (but shows are labelled as to what they are).  I am sure I have some UHD blurays that are both, but as we know, UHD DV profiles will not play on any devices other than the Shield (I believe).  I hope once this gets all sorted out a wiki entry or even a forum entry can be made so that the confusion that is DV and the supported containers and supported profiles, can be made forthcoming.  

• Like 1