Live TV Playback Error

iandeutsch

iandeutsch

Hello,

I've just installed Emby server on a Centos 8, kernel version 4.18.0-240.22.1.el8_3.x86_64, virtual machine running on my ESXi server. This particular virtual machine is currently used for Plex. File storage is provided by a TrueNAS server, also running as a virtual machine on the ESXi server.

Emby was able to access all my media files, which are hosted via smb and mounted with autofs, just fine. It also sees my NVIDIA card for hardware transcoding just like Plex does and I've tested that it can both software transcode and hardware transcode my stored media by watching 'top' and 'nvidia-smi' screens.

The issue I'm having is that Emby does not automatically find my HD Homerun Extend, so I provide the address manually. Emby accepts the manual address entry, so I'm assuming that it confirms the connection. When I attempt to watch any of the live channels in either the Safari web browser or the iPadOS app, I receive a Playback Error after a few seconds. Looking at the HD Homerun logs, I can see that Emby is indeed reaching out to the HD Homerun and requesting the channel stream. Looking at the Emby logs, I see it attempt to transcode via hardware, fail, attempt to transcode via software, fail, and then repeat this process several times. The error during transcode is that it cannot find the livestream on the local host, so I start thinking permissions.

Checking the Emby log, it states that permission to the path including 'filename.ts' is denied. I've checked my folder permissions, Emby is a member of the users group which is the group that has full access to the directory I'm having it use for live tv recording. This is the same directory that I'm having Emby use for all media transcoding, which does work. Does Live TV use something other than the emby user? I can't imagine that it does and I've confirmed that ffmpeg transcodes are run under the emby user (at least when used to transcode media files).

So, at this point, I'm stumped. I've ensured that neither of the HD Homerun tuners are in use when I'm testing this and I've shut down the plexmediaserver process just to rule out a conflict. Please let me know if there's more data needed to help with troubleshooting this.

Thank you,

Ian

Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 10.54.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 10.53.42 PM.png

IMG_0002.PNG

Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 11.03.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 11.10.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 11.10.44 PM.png

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-008a62e3-0fff-4426-a677-83c4ce4ef323_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-c63369b5-a77e-4e37-b46a-2862a36328df_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-7067a98d-1fe7-412f-bde5-da56fbabc381_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-0feda7d1-51f1-42f3-a03c-448cbd29001f_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-e364a1c0-da0c-4fd0-b560-56d041d2b804_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-72760f1b-3b0f-4a28-ad52-f1a6c9f608ec_1.txt

Hi, you configured a custom transcoding temp path but did not ensure the server has write access to it:

InnerException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/mnt/FreeNAS/Temp/transcoding-temp/f46e5f2b9b154dca9ae02b12776ceb43.ts' is denied.
	Source: System.Private.CoreLib
	TargetSite: Void WriteNative(System.ReadOnlySpan`1[System.Byte])
	DataflowMessageValue: Emby.TV.TsProcessor.Model.Packets.TsPacketGroup
	   at System.IO.FileStream.WriteNative(ReadOnlySpan`1 source)
	   at System.IO.FileStream.FlushWriteBu

As a result the live tv features will not be able to work.  Once you resolve this, you might be good to go. You could also just blank out the option and set it back to default.

iandeutsch
7 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, you configured a custom transcoding temp path but did not ensure the server has write access to it:

InnerException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/mnt/FreeNAS/Temp/transcoding-temp/f46e5f2b9b154dca9ae02b12776ceb43.ts' is denied.
	Source: System.Private.CoreLib
	TargetSite: Void WriteNative(System.ReadOnlySpan`1[System.Byte])
	DataflowMessageValue: Emby.TV.TsProcessor.Model.Packets.TsPacketGroup
	   at System.IO.FileStream.WriteNative(ReadOnlySpan`1 source)
	   at System.IO.FileStream.FlushWriteBu

As a result the live tv features will not be able to work.  Once you resolve this, you might be good to go. You could also just blank out the option and set it back to default.

That was my first thought, but I've confirmed that the user emby has write access permissions to the directory by adding it to the 'users' group. Transcoding works for locally stored video files with the custom transcoding temp path, does Live TV use a different user?

I removed the custom transcoding temp path and live tv worked, so it is indeed a permissions issue. It just doesn't make sense that I can transcode a movie but not live tv.

Any thought on what else I can check? Thank you for providing such a quick response.

The main difference with live tv is that there will be simultaneous reading and writing of the live tv temp file. Best guess is that whatever storage the custom path is mounted on is only allowing a single use of the file at once, which for live tv isn't going to work.