Jump to content

m3u - multiple credentials


horstepipe
 Share

Recommended Posts

horstepipe

Hello

Some days ago I stumbled over a thread where a user asks how to setup multiple iptv tuners with emby (because each tuner has limited simultanious streams). I think somebody answered that NextPVR is able to do that, but I don't find the thread anymore to be sure.

So, is NextPVR able to do this or was it another software which was recommended?

I have two m3u files with the same channels and 5 simultanious streams on each. I want a way to manage these without having double channels. And I want the links inside the m3u to be passed to the user directly, so I do NOT want to restream the source. I'm aware of the risks by that but this is for friends I can trust.

Could somebody please help me out which software to use for that? I'm on Linux (Ubuntu).

 

Best regards

Edited by horstepipe
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, I don't think you're going to find any software that does this.  If your links are passed to the client you might as well just give them your list and let them setup their IPTV client of choice.

You also need to be careful because many providers only allow X amount of unique IP to access streams to keep people from sharing services.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

horstepipe

that is not true. It is possible with tvheadend for sure. Even also with Emby if you manipulate the links to a special format.

As I said, I'm aware of the risks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure how you think you're doing that in TVH but I don't think it's doing what you think it is. You're just loading an m3u file as a playlist in another client but it's still going through TVH.  You can do the same with other software as well such as CDVR and NextPVR.

That is not the same as the server giving the client direct access to the stream.

Emby can allow some clients (non store) to access streams directly but not in Live TV.  This can be done for movies and TV Shows and even some of the cloud provider plugins do this.

But here nor there, the next major update to Live TV should support stacking channels so you could have your local ABC broadcast coming from an OTA tuner, cable tuner and from 3 different M3U files and you would be able to set the priority of use.  This helps solve the issue of the same channels being available both on cable and OTA as well as stacking multiple m3u files each with 5 logins into a single set of channels with 10 logins.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

horstepipe
6 minutes ago, cayars said:

But here nor there, the next major update to Live TV should support stacking channels so you could have your local ABC broadcast coming from an OTA tuner, cable tuner and from 3 different M3U files and you would be able to set the priority of use.  This helps solve the issue of the same channels being available both on cable and OTA as well as stacking multiple m3u files each with 5 logins into a single set of channels with 10 logins.

that's good to know, thanks!

If I remember correctly Emby was passing through the links directly if they were converted to ts. But that's quite a long time ago, will need to check it out again if that update comes in.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

BillOatman
4 hours ago, cayars said:

But here nor there, the next major update to Live TV should support stacking channels so you could have your local ABC broadcast coming from an OTA tuner, cable tuner and from 3 different M3U files and you would be able to set the priority of use.  This helps solve the issue of the same channels being available both on cable and OTA as well as stacking multiple m3u files each with 5 logins into a single set of channels with 10 logins.

This will be very useful, looking forward to it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

horstepipe

what would be enough here is choosing which tuners/m3u lists a user is able to watch.

Then I can say

User 1 -> List A

User 2 -> List A

User 3 -> List A

User 4 -> List A

User 5 -> List A

User 6 -> List B

User 7 -> List B

User 8 -> List B

User 9 -> List B

User 10 -> List B

Edited by horstepipe
Link to comment
Share on other sites

emveepee

The NextPVR license is for personal use only so you aren't allowed to share connection via Emby with your trusted friends.    This was one of my concerns when I pulled the addon but I was told Emby was for single household use.   Based on this thread do I have rethink this?

Martins

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is me speaking personally (as a user) ONLY and not for Emby LLC.

Emby is of course licensed and restricted to a set number of devices per server but can't reasonably control who get's it's use, only how many devices.

I for example share to 3 households as my "Children" are adults.  My Son and daughter each live in other households but forever are part of my personal family. Their boyfriends/girlfriends are like son in law, daughter in law and family in my book.  My sisters in law and their families, the same, as they are my FAMILY.  It doesn't matter if it's 4 people or 20 if they are my immediat family IMHO.

Regardless if I were using Emby or straight up NextPVR I could share my TV with them so there is no difference from a personal standpoint. I could actually share NextPVR with more people than with Emby as a matter of fact with or without the plugin or without Emby involved at all. NextPVR can serve up M3U files which I could give to family member to enter in their favorite software and it would still work for TV quite easily.

Emby is for personal and family use (non commercial use) but it's not limited to a single LAN.  Neither is NextPVR for that matter.

Again, just me personally speaking but why are you trying to add restrictions that don't exist for a basic NextPVR install ( or nearly any other PVR software)? Everything I just mentioned is for PERSONAL/FAMILY use.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

emveepee

The Emby page seems much clearer https://emby.media/premiere.html "The following licenses are for single household use and carry a 25 device limit. If you plan to support more devices please see our Extended Premiere Options".    Single doesn't mean 3.  Typical family plan mean under one roof, not a shared license for adults.

That is why I was hoping for an official comment.  Anyone actively promoting abuse of license terms which are made in good faith cannot be trusted.

Martin

Edited by emveepee
Link to comment
Share on other sites

BillOatman
9 hours ago, emveepee said:

The Emby page seems much clearer https://emby.media/premiere.html "The following licenses are for single household use and carry a 25 device limit. If you plan to support more devices please see our Extended Premiere Options".    Single doesn't mean 3.  Typical family plan mean under one roof, not a shared license for adults.

That is why I was hoping for an official comment.  Anyone actively promoting abuse of license terms which are made in good faith cannot be trusted.

Martin

There seems to be some conflicting information.  For example, on the Emby Connect page it has this.  Not sure what the actual license intent is myself. But ambiguity is ruled in favor of the party not creating the contract.

But this discussion probably belongs elsewhere.

 

Capture.JPG

Edited by BillOatman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

emveepee

This thread is proper as the OP asked about NextPVR.  I was pointing out the NextPVR license after seeing the 10 simultaneous user example with multiple m3u lists.  Emby Connect is only a service so it would still depend on what license the client app has.

Martin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, horstepipe said:

Then I can say
User 1 -> List A
User 2 -> List A
User 3 -> List A
User 4 -> List A
User 5 -> List A
User 6 -> List B
User 7 -> List B
User 8 -> List B
User 9 -> List B
User 10 -> List B

You can do this now if you want to but it's a bit of manual work.

What you do is manually add a tag to all channel that fall into A as "LiveTV-A" or similar and then "LiveTV-B" for the B list.
Now all channels are tagged as being part of List A or B.

Then in Users->Parental Control you can do this or all users of List A
image.png.e49caaddea76cdcaad6f20ab9dc942ed.png

So no one on List A can see any B channels.  You then do the same for B users but Restrict with tag "LiveTV-A".

Meanwhile the DVR engine would still have access to all channels so it would likely use channels from the first tuner (keep that in mind).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, emveepee said:

The Emby page seems much clearer https://emby.media/premiere.html "The following licenses are for single household use and carry a 25 device limit. If you plan to support more devices please see our Extended Premiere Options".    Single doesn't mean 3.  Typical family plan mean under one roof, not a shared license for adults.

That is why I was hoping for an official comment.  Anyone actively promoting abuse of license terms which are made in good faith cannot be trusted.

Martin

Hi.  We define "household" as your family and friends.  Not the 200 friends you make in a FB group on sharing media, but your actual friends :).  The physical location of those people isn't as important to us.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actually Emby's TOS & License is more restrictive then NextPVR's.

NextPVR grants you the ability to use it's software for just about anything as long as it's not commercial (without a commercial license).  No other restrictions of who can access the system or anything else that I've seen.

"GRANT OF LICENSE: Subject to the following terms, PINSTRIPE LIMITED hereby grants you a non-exclusive, perpetual, non-transferable license to install and to use the NextPVR software ("Software") for personal, non-commercial use. You may copy the Software for back-up or archival purposes."

Everyone abiding by Emby's TOS should by default, be abiding by NextPVRs as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

emveepee

That quote is missing the personal use statement on web page and other licenses that are accepted.   I don't think friends and family is totally  inconsistent with the NextPVR  license either but providing 10 simultaneous live TV streams for users (on top of recordings) seems more than personal use.

Martin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

horstepipe

@emveepee

can you open a seperate thread about it please? This is definitely another discussion 🙂

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

emveepee

No need, I am satisfied that you are aware of the license now which was my intend in the first place.

Martin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
horstepipe
On 5/26/2021 at 3:00 PM, cayars said:

You can do this now if you want to but it's a bit of manual work.

What you do is manually add a tag to all channel that fall into A as "LiveTV-A" or similar and then "LiveTV-B" for the B list.
Now all channels are tagged as being part of List A or B.

Then in Users->Parental Control you can do this or all users of List A
image.png.e49caaddea76cdcaad6f20ab9dc942ed.png

So no one on List A can see any B channels.  You then do the same for B users but Restrict with tag "LiveTV-A".

Meanwhile the DVR engine would still have access to all channels so it would likely use channels from the first tuner (keep that in mind).

 

So just coming back to that. If I think about it now, it seems to be loots of manual work. Channels are a lot, and, new channels come up or disappear quite often. So a way to automate this is needed. Has someone an idea about how to automate that? Would be even nicer if you can put that tag on a tuner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, you can write a small trivial script that will read the m3u file and rewrite it out using a group such as "LiveTV-A" for one list and "LiveTV-B" for the second meu file.

So each channel gets assigned to a group A for one list, B for the second file.

Emby Server will import the groups but will be called TAGS.

Then you just assign one of the tags to each user as talked about before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

horstepipe
34 minutes ago, cayars said:

Hi, you can write a small trivial script that will read the m3u file and rewrite it out using a group such as "LiveTV-A" for one list and "LiveTV-B" for the second meu file.

So each channel gets assigned to a group A for one list, B for the second file.

Emby Server will import the groups but will be called TAGS.

Then you just assign one of the tags to each user as talked about before.

humm but I will lose my "real" tags then? It would get quite chaotic then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not if you add the group to the current listings.  A channel can belong to more than one group.  IE it's typical to have a "US" and a "Sports" group for some channels.

You could try this manually modifying 5 to 10 lines of a M3U file just to see how this world work.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

horstepipe
12 minutes ago, cayars said:

Not if you add the group to the current listings.  A channel can belong to more than one group.  IE it's typical to have a "US" and a "Sports" group for some channels.

You could try this manually modifying 5 to 10 lines of a M3U file just to see how this world work.

ahh okay.

Thanks, this sounds as it could work 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

horstepipe

didn't try it out yet, but will do at the next weekend.

There's still one step just came to my mind you may also have some idea about time saving.

For lots of the channels I manually added a logo as my provider just shows a countries flag for these channels. Any idea how to bring that info to the other list? Guess there has to be done some manually database work?

Edited by horstepipe
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...