4.6 episode display issue

GrimReaper
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

GrimReaper

Here's a funny one: upon upgrading to latest stable 4.6.0.50, all (I repeat: ALL) of my TV shows have no episodes under Seasons, regardless of number of Seasons. Episodes ARE present and can be seen in Series view Next up row or Searched, however NONE of them show under respective Seasons and cannot be browsed to in Season view. No amount of scanning helps. The only thing that works is taking the series out of parent folder, scan library, put it back, scan library. But I REALLY REALLY REALLY do not want to rebuild 1000+ TV Shows libraries (and subsequent chapter thumbs generation), so I'm extremely open for suggestions.

Thanks.

1683618916_Screenshot2021-05-21185149.thumb.png.6f68a8449aa0c1d1b4574c5dafe985a7.png

88772949_Screenshot2021-05-21184910.thumb.png.cc8721ede16f3676ae8c85677330b2c7.png

989334031_Screenshot2021-05-21184932.thumb.png.cb130a5441f82031fe4599a5da3b0068.png

2118597394_Screenshot2021-05-21184950.thumb.png.8a3ce2f6b72d9480ecefce0eb5f11f05.png

1796391540_Screenshot2021-05-21185007.thumb.png.63949f542162b446aae737ad2d447842.png

• Like 1

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

The only thing that works is taking the series out of parent folder, scan library, put it back, scan library.

That would suggest a issue in the database and the current linking.

And if you have a run a scan, how are your files named and organized?

GrimReaper
Just now, Happy2Play said:

That would suggest a issue in the database and the current linking.

Yeah, but that really should not happen, as I didn't change anything, just upgraded to latest stable. And all the episodes are still there.

GrimReaper
Just now, cayars said:

Hi, Have you run a full library scan yet?

Yup:

8 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

No amount of scanning helps

GrimReaper
Just now, Luke said:

And if you have a run a scan, how are your files named and organized?

Standard naming convention, Series\Season\Series SxxExx. Again, all the episodes are there and can be played.

• Solution

Try refreshing the metadata of one of the series and see if that helps.

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, GrimReaper76 said:

Yeah, but that really should not happen, as I didn't change anything, just upgraded to latest stable. And all the episodes are still there.

Sure it does it clears the database for this series as there is obviously a disconnect in the table somewhere.  But would have to be localized issue or everyone would have this issue.

Can you edit the meta-data for one of these episodes?

Is the info missing?

GrimReaper
4 minutes ago, Luke said:

Try refreshing the metadata of one of the series and see if that helps.

Yup, good call. Did a Replace all on Season 1, then Search for missing on Season 2 - both methods brought them back under respective Seasons. (Note: all my metadata and artwork is stored locally, all meta-scrapers are disabled).

2039134758_Screenshot2021-05-21191012.thumb.png.38dfa1e0fccf55e29d81db575d0258ca.png

GrimReaper
6 minutes ago, cayars said:

Can you edit the meta-data for one of these episodes?

Is the info missing?

Nope, all nfos present.

GrimReaper
6 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Sure it does it clears the database for this series as there is obviously a disconnect in the table somewhere.  But would have to be localized issue or everyone would have this issue.

Well, I truly don't know why it was disassociated for ALL shows.

No I mean the meta-data editor in the web view.
What does it show for one of these episodes?

GrimReaper
Just now, cayars said:

No I mean the meta-data editor in the web view.
What does it show for one of these episodes?

That's for Season 3 Ep. 1, from the Season I haven't refreshed metadata yet.

202710503_Screenshot2021-05-21191532.thumb.png.8927998917a15282dbf0af47967d3489.png

GrimReaper

Anyway, did a Search for missing on another show on Series level - all the episodes came back into place with accompanying thumbnails, will do it on Library level now, it'll take some time but still considerably less than rebuilding it from scratch. Still curious.

Edit: And thanks everyone for your prompt replies, support here is just unbeatable. Cheers.

Edited by GrimReaper76
  • Like 1

blade005
35 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

Anyway, did a Search for missing on another show on Series level - all the episodes came back into place with accompanying thumbnails, will do it on Library level now, it'll take some time but still considerably less than rebuilding it from scratch. Still curious.

Edit: And thanks everyone for your prompt replies, support here is just unbeatable. Cheers.

You are not alone. Seeing the same behavior on a number of my TV Series after the update. I have used the REFRESH METADATA - SEARCH FOR MISSING METADATA option that has worked for some, but others have taken repeated attempts to REFRESH before they display properly. Have not done the REPLACE ALL METADATA option yet, but may have to on the really stubborn ones. It is odd because all of these have nfo files stored locally, so you would think a SCAN LIBRARY would work or a REFRESH METADATA, but not always. 

FYI. I did a REFRESH METADATA at the LIBRARY level for my TV Series collection, but even after this I was finding episodes not being displayed. Seems like it works best at a Series or Season level. But, most of my library is showing up as expected. I will have to stumble across the missing ones as I browse around to finally get them all cleared/refreshed properly. Arrrgh!!

GrimReaper
28 minutes ago, blade005 said:

You are not alone. Seeing the same behavior on a number of my TV Series after the update. I have used the REFRESH METADATA - SEARCH FOR MISSING METADATA option that has worked for some, but others have taken repeated attempts to REFRESH before they display properly. Have not done the REPLACE ALL METADATA option yet, but may have to on the really stubborn ones. It is odd because all of these have nfo files stored locally, so you would think a SCAN LIBRARY would work or a REFRESH METADATA, but not always. 

FYI. I did a REFRESH METADATA at the LIBRARY level for my TV Series collection, but even after this I was finding episodes not being displayed. Seems like it works best at a Series or Season level. But, most of my library is showing up as expected. I will have to stumble across the missing ones as I browse around to finally get them all cleared/refreshed properly. Arrrgh!!

Same here, all NFOs local, I thought that Library Scan would sort it out, didn't even think about Refreshing metadata, moreover since all episodes already HAD proper metadata when checked in Metadata editor, they just refused to be displayed under respective seasons. Fortunately for me, Search for missing on Library level did populate Seasons properly (at least as far as I can tell on random check), started with 20 items TV Show library, next on 200+ items, currently in process on main 800+ items one. Likely I'll stumble upon some rogue episode in the process, but that's negligible compared to the shock upon seeing condition my TV show libraries upon upgrade. 😅  

Edit: The only thing I'm still having with issues is for Emby to properly parse multi-episode NFOs, as discussed here:

Reading and writing of nfo for multi-part episodes is wrong - General/Windows - Emby Community 

Edited by GrimReaper76

blade005
22 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

Fortunately for me, Search for missing on Library level did populate Seasons properly (at least as far as I can tell on random check), started with 20 items TV Show library, next on 200+ items, currently in process on main 800+ items one.

I will have to continue to browse through mine to clear up issues. I have done multiple refreshes and think that all seasons are showing in their respective series, but drilling down into seasons have also seen some episodes still not being displayed. For lesser visited series, you may not find issues for awhile.

Jcheinaman
2 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Well, he definitely isn't alone. I upgraded from .48 beta to .50 stable and the same issue happened to me. I had to revert back to the .48 beta. Files can't play and almost all art work disappears. I tried to play a movie or show and it says no streams are available. Scanning the library and refreshing metadata didn't fix it. Something is definitely going on here. Unless I'm unable to upgrade from .48 beta to .50 stable? any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Jcheinaman

Jcheinaman
2 hours ago, GrimReaper76 said:

Here's a funny one: upon upgrading to latest stable 4.6.0.50, all (I repeat: ALL) of my TV shows have no episodes under Seasons, regardless of number of Seasons. Episodes ARE present and can be seen in Series view Next up row or Searched, however NONE of them show under respective Seasons and cannot be browsed to in Season view. No amount of scanning helps. The only thing that works is taking the series out of parent folder, scan library, put it back, scan library. But I REALLY REALLY REALLY do not want to rebuild 1000+ TV Shows libraries (and subsequent chapter thumbs generation), so I'm extremely open for suggestions.

Thanks.

1683618916_Screenshot2021-05-21185149.thumb.png.6f68a8449aa0c1d1b4574c5dafe985a7.png

88772949_Screenshot2021-05-21184910.thumb.png.cc8721ede16f3676ae8c85677330b2c7.png

989334031_Screenshot2021-05-21184932.thumb.png.cb130a5441f82031fe4599a5da3b0068.png

2118597394_Screenshot2021-05-21184950.thumb.png.8a3ce2f6b72d9480ecefce0eb5f11f05.png

1796391540_Screenshot2021-05-21185007.thumb.png.63949f542162b446aae737ad2d447842.png

If you were on the beta, reverting back fixed the issue for me. There is some disconnect between the .48 beta and the .50 stable release. I wasn't even able to play files after the .50 stable update. Seems like a database issue or something, but I'm no expert.

Edited by Jcheinaman

Apologies for the refresh metadata being required. We did not see it in upgrade testing so it's based on some set of required conditions that we haven't identified yet, but we'll try to chase it down.

• Like 1

Jcheinaman
1 minute ago, Luke said:

Apologies for the refresh metadata being required. We did not see it in upgrade testing so it's based on some set of required conditions that we haven't identified yet, but we'll try to chase it down.

I'm not worried about it. I just didn't wanna have to fix everything manually lol. Reverting to the beta worked for me. I tried rescanning the libraries and refreshing metadata on the stable release and it didn't fix anything. Thanks for the update!

GrimReaper
11 minutes ago, Jcheinaman said:

If you were on the beta, reverting back fixed the issue for me. There is some disconnect between the .48 beta and the .50 stable release. I wasn't even able to play files after the .50 stable update. Seems like a database issue or something, but I'm no expert.

Nope, that was update stable 4.5.4.0 to stable 4.6.0.50. Anyway, I'm halfway through bring it back up, looking good. My issue was kinda different, as I had (and could play) all episodes with proper metadata, I just couldn't display them under respective Seasons, i.e. browse to. But yeah, some db transition issue under certain circumstances obviously exists.

• Like 1

Jcheinaman
Just now, GrimReaper76 said:

Nope, that was update stable 4.5.4.0 to stable 4.6.0.50. Anyway, I'm halfway through bring it back up, looking good. My issue was kinda different, as I had (and could play) all episodes with proper metadata, I just couldn't display them under respective Seasons, i.e. browse to. But yeah, some db transition issue under certain circumstances obviously exists.

ouch. I lucked out. With the database changes, I wouldn't even know where to begin to try and revert to the previous stable version, or even if it would have been possible. I have a huge library and fixing things manually would have been very time consuming. Glad you're getting everything straightened out!