TV - TAGS menu option

unisoft

unisoft

The TAGS menu option under Television introduced in general release 4.6.0.50 seems to pull any matching tags from other libraries into the results in the TV section.

To my understanding, the TAGS function here is to tag television and radio channels so you can add content types such as "Reality TV", "Politics", "Drama", "Radio" categorise the type of channel.

I noticed that mixed case names were often converted to lower case tags too which resulted in bizarre mixture on the display.

TAGS and UPCOMING should also be options (like tick boxes) to enable or not (default enable) under TV library configuration or somewhere applicable. Not everyone uses them.

gillmacca01

I did report this during the beta testing (about tags picking up other libraries), but nothing came of it

• Like 1

gillmacca01

Easy fix.

I know the devs have been really busy with Live Tv, but I posted this 3 months ago, and barely got a response 

MBSki

I also noticed that I already have tags even though I didn't tag them. Is Emby auto-tagging channels? 

gillmacca01

Emby will read tags from your M3U file as well as allow you to create custom ones

Edited by gillmacca01

unisoft
1 minute ago, mbarylski said:

I also noticed that I already have tags even though I didn't tag them. Is Emby auto-tagging channels? 

Yes, it used tags from the guide provider by looks of it for "Kids", "News" etc.

MBSki
Just now, gillmacca01 said:

Emby will read tags from your M3U file as well as allow you to create custom ones

Was that in response to my comment? I don't have any m3u tuners.

gillmacca01
Just now, mbarylski said:

Was that in response to my comment? I don't have any m3u tuners.

No, I was replying to mbarylski

MBSki
Just now, unisoft said:

Yes, it used tags from the guide provider by looks of it for "Kids", "News" etc.

Yea, seems like it. So are we stuck with these? if the provider is adding them it seems removing them wouldn't do any good.

MBSki
Just now, gillmacca01 said:

No, I was replying to mbarylski

That's me. 🙂 I don't have any m3u tuners, but as @unisoft pointed out it seems like the provider is adding these, which seems to pose a bit of a problem as they probably can't be removed.

gillmacca01
2 minutes ago, unisoft said:

I don't have any of those tags, only the ones created from tage in my M3U file and ones that I created

unisoft

That's me. 🙂 I don't have any m3u tuners, but as @unisoft pointed out it seems like the provider is adding these, which seems to pose a bit of a problem as they probably can't be removed.

I was able to remove them, whether a guide update re-adds them I don't know yet.

The issue for me, was that anything from my other libraries that had same named tags was being shown the in the TV TAGS section and I wouldn't expect that. The TAGS are really to label and categorise your channels based on content like I stated earlier in my post...

gillmacca01

I have thought about how to remove them, and the only way I can think of doing it, is to restrict it (parental rating or another tag) so they stay hidden.

@Luke Can tags read from the M3U file be disabled/hidden?

unisoft
2 minutes ago, gillmacca01 said:

I don't have any of those tags, only the ones created from tage in my M3U file and ones that I created

I'm not using M3U. I'm using 4 tuner device and guide data from Emby's provider. The tv channels from the tv tuner have default tagging and I created extra tags.

• Like 1

gillmacca01
2 minutes ago, unisoft said:

I was able to remove them, whether a guide update re-adds them I don't know yet.

The issue for me, was that anything from my other libraries that had same named tags was being shown the in the TV TAGS section and I wouldn't expect that. The TAGS are really to label and categorise your channels based on content like I stated earlier in my post...

I think you'll find that at the next guide refresh, that the tags will be re-added

Edited by gillmacca01

Tags getting pulled in from other areas outside of TV is an oversite and will get fixed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

MBSki
4 minutes ago, cayars said:

Tags getting pulled in from other areas outside of TV is an oversite and will get fixed.

What about the issue of getting provider forced tags? It's could be useful, but not good if we can't modify them.

gillmacca01

What about the issue of getting provider forced tags? It's could be useful, but not good if we can't modify them.

To be honest, I think I recall that someone requested the ability to import tags from the M3U. I don' think the devs thought that some people wouldn't want them imported, so only gave the one option

MBSki
5 minutes ago, gillmacca01 said:

To be honest, I think I recall that someone requested the ability to import tags from the M3U. I don' think the devs thought that some people wouldn't want them imported, so only gave the one option

You're probably right, but IMO import shouldn't mean auto-tag. Not a huge deal, but some more flexibility would be good.