Scan Media Library Keeps Failing

ShadowKindjal

ShadowKindjal

Just yesterday I added a new library to my server and about an hour later I noticed that all of my TV shows had disappeared. Emby seems to show all of the folders but there are no images and now episodes within them. I checked my hard drive and the media is still there and I can play video files locally. I'm running Emby in a docker container which is the owner of the library directories so I know it has access to the files.

Regardless, I tried restoring a backup and that had no effect so I settled on the fact that I might have to just wait for Emby to import all the media back in (all 65 TB of it) which could take days. Well, I saw the recent update this morning to 4.6 and decided to install it but now the Scan Media task is failing immediately and I don't know what to do. I'm seeing the possibility that my database file

might be corrupted. Which would mean I'd have to rename it and re-import all 90 TB of data which I assume could take days if not a week or more. Do I have any other options? I've attached my most recent log for reference. 

embyserver.txt

HI, try rebooting your machine. It looks like you may have somehow managed to get two instances of emby server running. That's usually the reason for seeing those database locked errors.

ShadowKindjal
7 minutes ago, Luke said:

HI, try rebooting your machine. It looks like you may have somehow managed to get two instances of emby server running. That's usually the reason for seeing those database locked errors.

Thank you Luke. That seems to have fixed the database lock issue. Now, would you be able to tell me what could have caused the issue with all my content for one library disappearing? I can attach additional logs if necessary. 

Possibly that very problem. I would try running a full scan and then let's reevaluate after that. Thanks.

• Like 1

ShadowKindjal
On 5/20/2021 at 8:47 AM, Luke said:

Possibly that very problem. I would try running a full scan and then let's reevaluate after that. Thanks.

Full scan finished late last night but I'm still having issues. Here is an example. I have the show Supergirl on my server. When I search for the show the series populates the results along with all the episodes I currently have downloaded. When I open the series no episodes or seasons are loaded and when I attempt to click on an episode in the search results and play it I get the error that there are no playable items. This is not happening across the board but seemingly randomly. I loaded the file locally in VLC and it plays just fine. I'm also positive that emby has permission to access all the files. Is there something I'm missing?

image.thumb.png.26bbcf4e272012bcdc2da5d4171596a3.png

image.thumb.png.72a40fd4ed7303925da2a605bf623ba3.png

image.thumb.png.421abd4e697451e781e1b4bdc39d3629.png

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, ShadowKindjal said:

Full scan finished late last night but I'm still having issues. Here is an example. I have the show Supergirl on my server. When I search for the show the series populates the results along with all the episodes I currently have downloaded. When I open the series no episodes or seasons are loaded and when I attempt to click on an episode in the search results and play it I get the error that there are no playable items. This is not happening across the board but seemingly randomly. I loaded the file locally in VLC and it plays just fine. I'm also positive that emby has permission to access all the files. Is there something I'm missing?

image.thumb.png.26bbcf4e272012bcdc2da5d4171596a3.png

image.thumb.png.72a40fd4ed7303925da2a605bf623ba3.png

image.thumb.png.421abd4e697451e781e1b4bdc39d3629.png

Can you post a server log, but without Media Info Emby will choke on how to playback.

ShadowKindjal
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

Can you post a server log, but without Media Info Emby will choke on how to playback.

Attached is the server log but what do you mean by media info? There seems to be an issue with the metadata populating but the listed location for the episode is correct.

embyserver (1).txt

Happy2Play
6 minutes ago, ShadowKindjal said:

Attached is the server log but what do you mean by media info? There seems to be an issue with the metadata populating but the listed location for the episode is correct.

embyserver (1).txt 389.78 kB · 0 downloads

That log stops where Supergirl is Refreshing, does S02E05 show media info and play?

2021-05-21 15:05:52.450 Info MediaProbeManager: ProcessRun 'ffprobe' Execute: /bin/ffprobe -i file:"/mnt/data/TV Shows/Supergirl/Season 02/Supergirl - S02E05 - Crossfire.mkv" -threads 0 -v info -print_format json -show_streams -show_chapters -show_format -show_data

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, ShadowKindjal said:

No, it does not

Unless it all comes back to this "Could not find a part of the path" but not exactly sure what it is.

System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path '/var/run/s6/services/emby-server/mnt'.

ShadowKindjal

I modified all the directories so that the ownership belongs to emby and I gave each file/directory full read, write, and execution permissions and then refreshed Supergirl and now it works but when I did another full library scan no dice. Another show that's not working is Grey's anatomy. I noticed the only thing that's populating is the episode that downloaded yesterday. Everything else can't be played. I've attached the latest log as well.

embyserver-63757225108.txt

ShadowKindjal

This is the weirdest thing. As soon as I open the nfo file for each episode with nano emby is able to recognize the data in emby almost immediately once I do a refresh.

Happy2Play
11 minutes ago, ShadowKindjal said:

This is the weirdest thing. As soon as I open the nfo file for each episode with nano emby is able to recognize the data in emby almost immediately once I do a refresh.

Sounds like another mystery issue if touching existing metadata is allowing it to be refreshed.

ShadowKindjal
find . -type f -name "*.nfo" -exec touch {} +

I used the above command to initialize all the metadata files in my server and I'm now running the full library scan again. It seems to be working but I guess I'll find out tomorrow considering it's a 90 TB server. 

ShadowKindjal

Full scan completed but not much changed. I did, however, find that the directory for my metadata seemed to revert back to the default location so that may explain why all my content disappeared. Since new content has been added since this issue begin I merged the two metadata directories into one but I seem to have folders with very similar names in that directory such as "Genre" and "genres". Should I merge folders with similar names like this one and, if so, which folder name should take precedence. 

image.png.6c343bdca2081a39fa7a172ab661f76b.png

Happy2Play
10 minutes ago, ShadowKindjal said:

Full scan completed but not much changed. I did, however, find that the directory for my metadata seemed to revert back to the default location so that may explain why all my content disappeared. Since new content has been added since this issue begin I merged the two metadata directories into one but I seem to have folders with very similar names in that directory such as "Genre" and "genres". Should I merge folders with similar names like this one and, if so, which folder name should take precedence. 

image.png.6c343bdca2081a39fa7a172ab661f76b.png

Well that is a grey area as Emby is creating bloat with updates.  So you can not merge these folders if items contain those paths in the database.

So you may have something old pointing to the old path and something new pointing to the new path.

People are a good example as some exist in \metadata\library, \metadata\People\a to z folders and now \metadata\people\ no a to z folders.

Emby stopped using Custom Genre over a year ago but brought if back with genres.

Not postive on Studio/studios, but still back to where the item points to in the database as everything has changed over time old vs new.

ShadowKindjal
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

Well that is a grey area as Emby is creating bloat with updates.  So you can not merge these folders if items contain those paths in the database.

So you may have something old pointing to the old path and something new pointing to the new path.

People are a good example as some exist in \metadata\library, \metadata\People\a to z folders and now \metadata\people\ no a to z folders.

Emby stopped using Custom Genre over a year ago but brought if back with genres.

Not postive on Studio/studios, but still back to where the item points to in the database as everything has changed over time old vs new.

So should I leave them as is and run a server wide metadata refresh instead of a library scan?

Happy2Play
Just now, ShadowKindjal said:

So should I leave them as is and run a server wide metadata refresh instead of a library scan?

Are you saying that Refreshing a Series makes everything appear normal?  If so then yes you will need to Refresh the Entire library potentially.

ShadowKindjal
Just now, Happy2Play said:

Are you saying that Refreshing a Series makes everything appear normal?  If so then yes you will need to Refresh the Entire library potentially.

That seems to be what's happening but I'm definitely no expert. At a small scale (one series at a time) this seems to work (scan and refresh) but when I run a full system rescan it doesn't. Granted, I haven't been running a metadata refresh each time so I'm running that now on my TV Shows library. Now that I've merged my old metadata with the new I'm seeing a lot of instances of SeasonsNfoPRovider reporting changes to #######. 

embyserver (2).txt

ShadowKindjal

I tried deleting all the nfo files in a directory and I seem to be getting a lot of messages in the log files saying no metadata was returned? Should I be concerned?

embyserver.txt

On 5/22/2021 at 8:56 AM, ShadowKindjal said:

I tried deleting all the nfo files in a directory and I seem to be getting a lot of messages in the log files saying no metadata was returned? Should I be concerned?

embyserver.txt 422.68 kB · 0 downloads

No, looks like you're fine.

ShadowKindjal

Unfortunately I'm still having this issue though. I keep finding content on my server that has this issue and I have to fix it on a show by show basis. Is there any way for me to get this resolved on a server wide level?