EAC3 audio no longer working

dcook

dcook

I have noticed lately that any of my media that has an Audio type of: EAC3 will not play any sound.

I use the FireTV app 99% of the time and I have made sure its updated to latest version, and there is no audio.

I also tried the same media types with EAC3 via web browser, again there is no audio.

This is not specific to 1 media file, but happens with any media file that has Audio type EAC3

FireTV App shows it as cpw EAC3 

Other Audio types play normally in FireTV, Roku or Web Browser

Is this a known issue? and is there a resolution to correct this?

Emby Server: 4.5.4.0

Example of a media that has no audio:

image.thumb.png.6aeba8622859415dc074498323cb4a31.png

Edited by dcook

Happy2Play

Please post the corresponding ffmpeg logs.

dcook

I know it used to work in FireTV app as that is what I use 99% of the time to watch my content

I can't say if specific browsers do or don't

Happy2Play

Also 4.5.4.0 has been out for what 6 months so nothing has changed on the server.  I know I have no issues on my Roku as I just tested.

Now specific clients could be another story, but logs for specific clients are needed as the Chrome log is only relevant to that playback (TranscodeReasons=AudioCodecNotSupported).

dcook

Also, I just tried using Microsoft Edge, no audio either:

Example of no audio using Edge:

image.thumb.png.2c0293c0460c90ee60fa079702323b23.png

dcook

I don't think it was a recent change, but something has changed in the past few months, because I have older episodes that I know I watched using FireTV, and now when I play them there is no audio. 

I assumed it was Emby Server issue as I am also getting no audio when trying to play via browser.  But perhaps its specific to the FireTV app, and not Emby Server

I just hooked up my Roku and the same media plays with audio fine.

Here you can see photo of my tv using Roku:

image.thumb.png.ebd7f9103fdac8c3866d9eb25956a2b0.png

Audio is identified as Cpe EAC3 and does play correctly

So the question is:

Why does EAC3 audio no longer work on FireTV app? (I know it used to before)

And why does it not work when using Web Client?

Edited by dcook

Happy2Play

Just moved a eac3 test item to my test server and Edge directplayed with audio and Chrome got Audio codec not supported,Direct play error.

Devs will have comment more as I am not seeing any issues.

Happy2Play

On the Roku I would be looking and the Roku Audio settings as the device currently returns it does not support eac3. (AudioCodec=ac3,aac,mp2,mp3,flac,vorbis,lpcm)

It would not be the same issue across multiple different platforms clients in my opinion.  As I have no issues in Edge or Roku.

Edited by Happy2Play

dcook

My Roku plays the EAC3 audio fine, the issue for me is that my Firestick does not play it at all, and neither does web browser client

14 hours ago, dcook said:

and neither does web browser client

In one of your browsers, the audio was transcoding to mp3 but the other one is direct playing.  What is the audio equipment involved here in both cases?  Are other sounds working on that machine?  What if you play the item with something like VLC?

14 hours ago, dcook said:

My Roku plays the EAC3 audio fine, the issue for me is that my Firestick does not play it at all, and neither does web browser client

The Roku properly detected no support for E-AC3 and only support for Dolby in AC3. It transcoded the audio to AC3.

{"Codec":"eac3","Language":"cpe","TimeBase":"1/1000","CodecTimeBase":"1/48000","DisplayTitle":"Cpe EAC3 2 ch (Default)","IsInterlaced":false,"Channels":2,"SampleRate":48000,"IsDefault":true,"IsForced":false,"Type":"Audio","Index":1,"IsExternal":false,"IsTextSubtitleStream":false,"SupportsExternalStream":false,"Protocol":"File"}

The "cpe" at the front is part of the Display Title.

Edited by speechles

rbjtech

With the latest FireTV release and latest beta server - I do not have any issues playing EAC3 on a Gen2 FireTV stick.

SFN says - Audio Codec : DOLBY+ (direct)

As expected, no ffmpeg log is generated as it is DirectPlay.

According to the Amazon Dev website - eac3 is supported - so what emby is using/reporting appears to be correct.

• eAC3 (Dolby Digital Plus). Up to 48kHz, 6 channels, 16-bit and 24-bit

On three browsers -

Edge & Chrome - Audio is converted to MP3, plays fine.

Firefox - Audio is converted to AAC, plays fine.

Edited by rbjtech

dcook
1 hour ago, ebr said:

In one of your browsers, the audio was transcoding to mp3 but the other one is direct playing.  What is the audio equipment involved here in both cases?  Are other sounds working on that machine?  What if you play the item with something like VLC?

@ebrNo special audio equipment, just my TV speakers

When I use Roku to play via Emby audio works

When I open the same file with VLC audio works

Now that I have updated my Chrome browser when I use the Emby Web Client to play the same file audio works

When I try to play the same file via Firestick, video plays, but there is no audio.

Seems my issue is specific to the Android/Firestick client, can you assign this to that forum sub group?

And is this a known issue with eAC3 and Android/Firestick client?  According to my searches on this forum, there are other users have reported audio issues with eAC3 as well?

Exactly which stick is it?  What are the audio settings on the device itself?  Does the TV support DD+?

dcook
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

With the latest FireTV release and latest beta server - I do not have any issues playing EAC3 on a Gen2 FireTV stick.

SFN says - Audio Codec : DOLBY+ (direct)

As expected, no ffmpeg log is generated as it is DirectPlay.

According to the Amazon Dev website - eac3 is supported - so what emby is using/reporting appears to be correct.

• eAC3 (Dolby Digital Plus). Up to 48kHz, 6 channels, 16-bit and 24-bit

On three browsers -

Edge & Chrome - Audio is converted to MP3, plays fine.

Firefox - Audio is converted to AAC, plays fine.

@rbjtechHere are my versions

Emby Server: 4.5.4.0 

Emby FireTv App: 2.0.09a

You are using the same versions and eAC3 audio works for you?

dcook
5 minutes ago, ebr said:

Exactly which stick is it?  What are the audio settings on the device itself?  Does the TV support DD+?

FireStick Lite:

https://www.amazon.ca/Fire-TV-Stick-Lite-No-TV-Controls-2020-release/dp/B07ZZW18N6

Firestick says its updated to latest version: 7.2.3.4 (PS7234/2039)

Audio settings are default, there does not seem to be much options:

image.thumb.png.84ff6865bf83fb92c73f1119f256db60.png

If all other media plays fine, doesn't that mean its some kind of issue with eAC3 files and the Emby FireTv client?

Especially if the same files play on Roku and Web Client?

dcook

@ebr if I change the audio setting from: Best Available to Passthrough Dolby Digital then the audio works fine playing media with eAC3 on my Firestick, Emby Dashboard shows me playing via Direct Playing

So it would seem that the issue with the Emby client on FireTV is specific to having the default audio option of "Best Available" selected when playing via Direct Playing method.

Hope this helps you find the issue!

Edited by dcook

Sometimes the automatic detection on these devices gets tripped up so, if you've found a setting that works then you should be good.

Thanks.

• 4 months later...
horstepipe

The problem is back with beta .44 on devices which do not support eac3 on Android TV.
Guess you need an inapp log?

Edited by horstepipe