Ability to use both allow and block tag restrictions at the same time

xarggrax

xarggrax

I'd like to request the ability to set both allow and block tags for users.  Currently, you can only use one or the other.  I use this feature in two different ways.  First, I set a 2160p tag and block some users based on that tag, which works great (the purpose here being to limit the 4k version of media while allowing the lower-res versions).  Second, I set a GrantRestrictedUser_XYZ tag and allow some users based on that tag, which also works great (the purpose here being to allow only certain media to particular users).  However, I can't combine these two.  I know I'm asking more than what the original intention of the system was, but considering the base functionality already exists, I believe it makes sense to add the ability to use both variations at the same time.  Thank you for your consideration.

Additional clarification: I could achieve my goal using only allow tags, but I'd have to tag every episode of every show manually that way.  Instead, if this enhancement existed, I would tag the individual 4k versions of each file (although that's still not ideal) so that could be restricted, and then I can tag the show itself with an allow and inheritance would solve the rest.

• Agree 1

MBSki

Wouldn't an adjustment to the share function be more of a match than using tags? Overhaul Share Function in Emby - Feature Requests - Emby Community

That way you could manage the shared content in 1 place. I think the only thing missing from my request is a way to block 2160p content. Plex comes close to this (see screen shot), but ideally there would be a filter applied to allow/disallow based on quality. That said, users can adjust this on their end too, but I can see how it would be better if the Admin could manage it.

image.png.05c4bfac7559f7260cd0036036b12018.png

26 minutes ago, xarggrax said:

Instead, if this enhancement existed, I would tag the individual 4k versions of each file (although that's still not ideal) so that could be restricted, and then I can tag the show itself with an allow and inheritance would solve the rest.

But that creates a conflict.  You now have an item that is both allowed and blocked.  Which tag is the system supposed to respect?

MBSki
5 minutes ago, ebr said:

But that creates a conflict.  You now have an item that is both allowed and blocked.  Which tag is the system supposed to respect?

It's a problem because currently the Emby system doesn't recognize the different versions. Emby would have to be adjusted to tag each version. Seems cumbersome to me, which is why I think a way to "filter" would be more appropriate.

xarggrax
7 minutes ago, ebr said:

Deny permissions always take precedence over grant.

xarggrax
20 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

Wouldn't an adjustment to the share function be more of a match than using tags? Overhaul Share Function in Emby - Feature Requests - Emby Community

That way you could manage the shared content in 1 place. I think the only thing missing from my request is a way to block 2160p content. Plex comes close to this (see screen shot), but ideally there would be a filter applied to allow/disallow based on quality. That said, users can adjust this on their end too, but I can see how it would be better if the Admin could manage it.

image.png.05c4bfac7559f7260cd0036036b12018.png

I've never used this in Plex.  I'll read your enhancement request when I get some time later and see if that'd work for what I'm trying to do.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
sydlexius

Bumping this thread for visibility. Similarly to what was @xarggrax saying, I'd want deny permissions to win over allow when deciding a "winner."