Overhaul Share Function in Emby

MBSki

MBSki

There's obviously a lot of capability to share content in Emby, but I came across a few limitations recently and would like to request a few improvements. 

• Change Restrict Items with Tags in parental access controls to per library rather than ALL libraries. The way it is now, if I use "Restrict or Allow" I have to tag EVERYTHING, to either get it to show or hide. Some libraries I want to share everything (like photos) and others I only want to share 1 thing (like Movies). Also, parental controls actually functions much more broadly than just parental controls, so maybe splitting out the additional functionality into a different tab would be more appropriate. 
  • Change Share function in more menu to select an Emby user to share with, so the content appears on the users home page when logging in. Right now it's just a link directly to the file on the server with no way for a user to get back to it. 
  • Allow ALL versions of a video to show when tagging and using the Allow only items with these tags function.

I believe some changes like this would need to be made anyways to get this feature request (Multi-Cast Support - Feature Requests - Emby Community) working. At least, to get it working in a more user friendly way. I can't imagine trying to start a Watch Party by having to send every user a URL that they need to click on in order to start the watch party. It's easier to just add shared content so the end user can just go to their home page and start the Watch Party.

To borrow an example of how this could work, Plex has implemented something similar, although they stick everything in a Shared view. The function to share is good, but the function to access the shared content isn't so good. IMO, the shared content should just appear in the library. Similar to how it would show up if using Allow only items with these tags. I'm curious how Jellyfin has implemented Watch Party and sharing too, but my only reference is Plex. Here are a couple of screen shots just for example.

After clicking share in Plex, users on the server can be selected to share with or outside users that aren't on your main server can be selected.

image.png.e8d010d585d707314c29951a5e41c9df.png

Then, managing the shared media is simple as I can see everything shared to each user in 1 place. When I want to take shared access away, I just click x and the user no longer has access.

image.thumb.png.9ea0889789a07b100dc1f95769125114.png

And the end user see's this, which is decent, but as an end user I'd much rather see the shared content within the actual libraries.

image.png.65d93070c74b09c6ca5b501e818e945d.png

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

In 4.7 the allow items with tags feature will act as an override that will allow items even if it has been restricted by parental rating.

MBSki
3 hours ago, Luke said:

In 4.7 the allow items with tags feature will act as an override that will allow items even if it has been restricted by parental rating.

I'm trying to figure out in what scenario this would actually be helpful. Can you provide an example?

I did try it, hoping it would allow me to tag a tv show and enable a user to view ALL episodes within that tv show, but it doesn't work anyways. I tagged the show and enabled "allow items with tags", but the show doesn't appear for the user with parental controls set.

Just now, mbarylski said:

I'm trying to figure out in what scenario this would actually be helpful. Can you provide an example?

I did try it, hoping it would allow me to tag a tv show and enable a user to view ALL episodes within that tv show, but it doesn't work anyways. I tagged the show and enabled "allow items with tags", but the show doesn't appear for the user with parental controls set.

The current content restriction features work just fine doing what the user interface says they do, they're just a little difficult to use, because in some cases it would require undesirable mass tagging.

MBSki
6 minutes ago, Luke said:

The current content restriction features work just fine doing what the user interface says they do, they're just a little difficult to use, because in some cases it would require undesirable mass tagging.

Alright, great, that's what I was hoping for. 😁 

Unfortunately, I just tested, and it doesn't work. It doesn't "override" the parental rating restriction. Here are my settings. I tagged 1 show and it doesn't appear in the restricted users library. The library shows, but there are no items available to watch.

image.png.2677116c563d305f3b58a33a9da3aad0.png

1 minute ago, mbarylski said:

Alright, great, that's what I was hoping for. 😁 

Unfortunately, I just tested, and it doesn't work. It doesn't "override" the parental rating restriction. Here are my settings. I tagged 1 show and it doesn't appear in the restricted users library. The library shows, but there are no items available to watch.

image.png.2677116c563d305f3b58a33a9da3aad0.png

I didn't say it overrides, nor does the user interface you are testing say that. I said it will override in the future.

MBSki
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

I didn't say it overrides, nor does the user interface you are testing say that. I said it will override in the future.

Uh, what? This is exactly what you said, "In 4.7 the allow items with tags feature will act as an override that will allow items even if it has been restricted by parental rating."

The beta IS 4.7, and you don't mention future anywhere. So what did you mean to say? It will override in 4.7.0.8?

4.7 Release will have it.

There will likely be many beta releases along the way to the release of 4.7.
What Luke is talking about will be in one of the upcoming beta releases such as 4.7.0.8 or 4.7.0.9 or similar.

MBSki
27 minutes ago, cayars said:

4.7 Release will have it.

There will likely be many beta releases along the way to the release of 4.7.
What Luke is talking about will be in one of the upcoming beta releases such as 4.7.0.8 or 4.7.0.9 or similar.

That's what I thought. Thanks. What he said doesn't make sense without adding "version 4.7.0.8 or 4.7.0.9 will have it".

Yea, Luke was just letting everyone know it's on the shortlist of things coming soon that people have asked for.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...