Jump to content

Stereo downmix missing in v2.0


Recommended Posts

EmbyUser99

My Android TV app auto-updated to 2.0.09 and I’ve noticed the option to downmix audio to stereo is now gone. Stats for nerds has “local decoding” for most unsupported audio formats now. Is this the same thing? If not, can I no longer downmix all audio to stereo?

Link to post
Share on other sites
vdatanet
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, EmbyUser99 said:

My Android TV app auto-updated to 2.0.09 and I’ve noticed the option to downmix audio to stereo is now gone. Stats for nerds has “local decoding” for most unsupported audio formats now. Is this the same thing? If not, can I no longer downmix all audio to stereo?

There's a new option in playback settings, "Convert unsupported audio to dolby digital", disabled is similar to the old option downmix enabled.

Edited by vdatanet
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
ebr
1 hour ago, EmbyUser99 said:

Stats for nerds has “local decoding” for most unsupported audio formats now. Is this the same thing?

Yes.

Is all your audio playing back okay?

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, ebr said:

Yes.

Is all your audio playing back okay?

This is what has caused my recent troubles

Old Stereo downmix option = direct plays and works perfectly

Convert unsupported audio to DD = does not work and direct play errors on pretty much everything

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dannyboy1234 said:

This is what has caused my recent troubles

Old Stereo downmix option = direct plays and works perfectly

Convert unsupported audio to DD = does not work and direct play errors on pretty much everything

 

Convert unsupported audio to DD disabled works for you?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

Convert unsupported audio to DD disabled works for you?

No.

This device Chromecast for Google TV only direct plays with the older downmix to stereo option, which I have now successfully downgraded to and turned off auto updates. I'm usually playing Dolby true hd or DTS hd ma tracks which the device does not support

 

 

Edited by dannyboy1234
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, dannyboy1234 said:

This device Chromecast for Google TV only direct plays with the older downmix to stereo option, which I have now successfully downgraded to and turned off auto updates. I'm usually playing Dolby true hd or DTS hd ma tracks which the device does not support

Turning off the convert option (which is actually the default state) should be identical to what it was doing before with downmix.  Can we please look at details of the issue you are having?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ebr said:

Turning off the convert option (which is actually the default state) should be identical to what it was doing before with downmix.  Can we please look at details of the issue you are having?

 

I have just now updated to latest version.

As you say the default state leaves the convert unsupported audio to DD disabled. Leaving this disabled (as well as enabled) gives me direct play error and causes transcoding and playback problems

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, dannyboy1234 said:

Leaving this disabled (as well as enabled) gives me direct play error and causes transcoding and playback problems

Can we please look at an example of that?  Including sending a log from the app (instructions linked above).

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ebr said:

Can we please look at an example of that?  Including sending a log from the app (instructions linked above).

I've sent a log at 0542 EST time with convert unsupported audio to DD set to disabled (its default state). In stats for nerds it shows direct play error which causes transcoding, essentially making the file unwatchable due to playback issues, major stuttering etc

Edited by dannyboy1234
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dannyboy1234 said:

causes transcoding, essentially making the file unwatchable due to playback issues, major stuttering etc

It is actually only causing a remux to convert the audio - which is failing on the direct attempt.  Have you manually told the device it supports TrueHD?  What is it connected to?

Also, can you please post the ffmpeg log from that playback?  There is really no reason why the remux shouldn't play fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ebr said:

It is actually only causing a remux to convert the audio - which is failing on the direct attempt.  Have you manually told the device it supports TrueHD?  What is it connected to?

Also, can you please post the ffmpeg log from that playback?  There is really no reason why the remux shouldn't play fine.

All I know is the local downmix option direct plays and works perfectly and with the new update and option that is disabled it shows direct play error and has major playback issues and says its transcoding. As far as I know the chromecast for google tv does not support high bitrate audio but the local downmix option resolved that problem. I have the chromecast connected to an LG C9 oled. 

How do I post the ffmpeg log?

Edited by dannyboy1234
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, dannyboy1234 said:

How do I post the ffmpeg log?

Instructions are in that same link above.

If you go into the audio settings in the Android menus on the Chromecast itself, what is it set to?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ebr said:

Instructions are in that same link above.

If you go into the audio settings in the Android menus on the Chromecast itself, what is it set to?

As I don't administrate the server I don't have access to those logs. I've attached my Chromecast audio setting which is set to auto. Along with before and after shots of the local downmix successfully working and the direct play error on v2

 

 

IMG_20210506_235551.jpg

IMG_20210506_234828.jpg

IMG_20210506_234620.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, ebr said:

If you select "Manual" in that menu, do you get the option to disable TrueHD?

No it lists 3 supported formats

1. Dolby Atmos in Dolby digital plus

2. Dolby digital

3. Dolby digital plus. 

and AAC under unsupported formats, each of which can be toggled on and off

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, cayars said:

Can you show a screen shot of the Manual config please?

Surround sound can be toggled off which I believe is the equivalent of manually turning off each format.

IMG_20210507_015422.jpg

IMG_20210507_015406.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dannyboy1234 said:

No it lists 3 supported formats

1. Dolby Atmos in Dolby digital plus

2. Dolby digital

3. Dolby digital plus. 

and AAC under unsupported formats, each of which can be toggled on and off

Yeah, that is what I would expect.  So the question is, why is the device reporting support for TrueHD...?

If you leave it in manual with those Dolby options turned off, does it play properly?

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, ebr said:

Yeah, that is what I would expect.  So the question is, why is the device reporting support for TrueHD...?

If you leave it in manual with those Dolby options turned off, does it play properly?

Yes this appears to have fixed it, thanks! With truehd it now shows "(software decode)" in stats for nerds and is playing correctly. But with DTS hd ma, i had to turn off surround sound option in the chromecast settings entirely to get it to play correctly. The previous local downmix option worked with the auto chromecast audio setting and surround sound setting left toggled on.

Edited by dannyboy1234
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dannyboy1234 said:

But with DTS hd ma

What was the state of the DTS checkboxes in the app playback settings?  Did you try un-checking those?

Link to post
Share on other sites
dannyboy1234
8 hours ago, ebr said:

What was the state of the DTS checkboxes in the app playback settings?  Did you try un-checking those?

The DTS check boxes only appear in auto audio mode. With those boxes unchecked DTS and DTS hd ma play fine but this is where I have playback issues with true hd.

For my setup the best solution is turning off surround sound. But with the old local downmix option I never had to touch the Chromecast audio settings, leaving surround sound on in auto mode was fine

 

Edited by dannyboy1234
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...