Image ghosting on Xiaomi Mi Box

C.S.

For the past not sure how many months, I've been experiencing the issue described here:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=352389

Basically, when a video is playing, the brighter parts of the image are constantly leaving an impression when the image changes to something dark. Same thing happens when using VLC as the player. The menu seems unaffected.

Anyway, the fix seems to be to disable the option "Hardware acceleration mediacodec surface". The option exists in Kodi, but not the stock Emby app. I'd rather not get into Kodi, so is there any way we could get that option into the Emby app? Pretty please?🙂

Hi, check to make sure you have the latest firmware.
A change in HDMI able can also be a culprit for ghosting so if you have another cable to try, it would be worth trying.

If neither of these help you will likely need the Hardware acceleration mediacodec surface fix as that seems to be the only other fix.

6 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi, check to make sure you have the latest firmware.
A change in HDMI able can also be a culprit for ghosting so if you have another cable to try, it would be worth trying.

Tried the cable. I think the latest firmware is the problem. If anyone knows a way to downgrade back to 8.1, I would love to try that.

Using Kodi seems like more of a hassle than I'd like to deal with, and anyway it's not a real solution for me as I'm trying to fix this for myself and all the friends and family I told to buy this box (because I thought it would be the best bang for the buck). I really don't want to have to tell them all to get a shield.

Thanks for trying the cable switch, appreciate that.

I'm going to say in general I'm pretty good with hardware and firmware upgrades but I've got 2 Mi-Box S devices I've bricked sitting in my hardware discard pile, trying to either revert firmware or reset to factory. These devices are not as forgiving as other devices IMHO so be careful and possibly expect the worst if you try this. Check your warranty and make sure you have a receipt.  I had 2 others replaced that also bricked.  4 bricked devices in about 2 years or so.

I've not bricked anything else in years that couldn't be reloaded or salvaged, but the Mi-Box S is "finicky". It's a great box but doesn't like being "toyed with". So be prepared...

I do like living on the edge and trying stuff so I' on the forefront of knowledge but the MiBoxes aren't a device to push from a firmware standpoint. It could very well be I'm doing something wrong with this device but I did one device via skype video with a rep following her directions and it still bricked so...

I do still buy them for family as I think they offer a huge bang for the buck but I now ride out firmware releases and don't try to change firmware.  Just thought I'd share that with you. I've not seen this ghosting problem that you have.

Now getting back to your problem.  How are you connected?  Are you plugged directly into the TV's HDMI or going through  a receiver?

HDMI is direct to the TV.

Just to eliminate the TV, I tried it on a computer monitor. The ghosting is definitely still there, but not nearly as noticeable. I believe this is because the monitor's black level is nowhere near as dark as the TV's. I might not have noticed this issue at all if I had been watching on a TV with a lighter black level. (It's not OLED, but it gets incredibly dark compared to my projector, for example. In fact, it has pretty much ruined the projector for me, dammit.)

On 4/24/2021 at 2:16 PM, C.S. said:

Anyway, the fix seems to be to disable the option "Hardware acceleration mediacodec surface". The option exists in Kodi, but not the stock Emby app. I'd rather not get into Kodi, so is there any way we could get that option into the Emby app? Pretty please?🙂

Let's see if a dev thinks this might be a possibility to do.

@ebr is this possible or do you have any other ideas?

• 4 weeks later...