Constant Freezing/Buffering on Chromecast with Android TV

Lh20

Hello,

I've been racking my brain about this for a few days now and feel like I'm going crazy.  My emby setup was working flawlessly previously but for the last few days its been completely unwatchable on my Chromecast (new version with Android TV).  Anything I watch constantly stutters/freezes - I've ruled out any sort of internet issues (did all the necessary restarts of modem, router, etc) and have tested the same items on my android phone as well as PC and they play back fine.

I've read that Chromecast has issues with AC3 so within the chromecast I went to advanced audio settings and enabled both AC3 and Dolby Atmos.  I've used playback correction to try to force transcode the audio - which seems to help but I still get the freezing/stuttering (albeit less frequently/takes longer for it to start happening).

The reason its driving me crazy is that I have gone back to view previous episodes that were working flawlessly a week ago and now are no longer working - I feel like there must be something obvious I am missing.

Attached are my log files - any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

ffmpeg-transcode-80cb215d-a025-4e12-b26b-5195564332dc_1-1.txt embyserver.txt

The next thing I would look at, would be how many devices are simultaneously using your router and network services in your home.. or from people who have access... as well as other processes which may be operating at the same time on the Chromecast ( if there is a way or even updates ).. There can be limitations. Smaller devices have a hard time MiraCasting at the same time as downloading/uploading .. because of the network and processing power / maximum speed of those devices. This may be addressed in Google's design.. but could still present a problem in a few instances.

Even with transcoding.. if your system is doing intensive work ( where the server is installed ) you have CPU resources available for transcoding.. and interruptions that may be caused by data streams that exceed the hardware.. the router... the server system,

Essentially 'Bottlenecks'.. in device resources... not just in configuration. A good test would be to see if your regular services are also doing this. IF they are not then you have issues more than likely originating from the server machine. rather it is the network card limitations or the system resources available to process the requests.. Eliminating services, tray apps and items that run the background can help.. and ensuring all updating has been done..

Several tests may help you get to the base of the issue... and observing the server system during these times.. AND I would start by going back to the settings that were in place before this started to be sure you actually get to the original issue.. then possibly go back to improvements in those settings as you have noted.

EDIT: That being said there several errors in your file that need to be looked at.. Some actually seem to point in a loss of network... or access. Someone will more than likely take a closer look.

Edited by Guest

Thank you for the quick reply bud -

I've been trying to identify and narrow down any type of bottle necks - I've been able to rule the network out because I can play the same files on multiple devices while it wont work well on the Chromecast.

Additional troubleshooting steps I've employed that seem to have helped so far are setting the max bitrate in playback from Auto to 160 MB/s - I've been able to play some of the older files smoother again - will continue digging.

Thank you again for the thoughtful reply

Set the 160 mb/s on the Chromecast in the Emby App's Playback settings

After testing for a bit more last night it seems like the winning combo was

1) Setting the chromecast advanced audio settings to manual and enabling AC3 as a codec
2) Changing max bitrate in app on chromecast from Auto to 160mbp/s

Both of those things together have resulted in a return to a smooth playback experience across my titles

• Like 1