Roku App - Version 4.0 build 26

Ollio

skidmarks

It's not a hostile community...  and as far as i am aware having the actual developers in these forums dealing with end users and taking feedback (positive criticism) is a uncommon practice in todays world.   Things can change depending on the productive feedback they receive.  Have seen it done many times thru the years.   

9 minutes ago, Ollio said:

"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool, then to speak and remove all  doubt"

Can i suggest: "How to Win Friends and Influence People"

• Like 1

No, you can't suggest that, the other guy keeps trying that nonsense - and he has an issue of staying on topic while throwing hints I would think different if I was as smart as him, instead of actually discussing it.

Not bad until the Roku part which makes no sense. If the Roku is so limited, then the original scroll left about 1/4 of the screen for a detailed view of the text description.... Now the scroll takes up practically the entire page that's too small to read. Here's what I also know... even If I could comfortably read it, it's still too small for what I want. And just to remind anyone reading, because everyone seems to still have it all wrong - I don't care about vertical vs horizontal. It's like talking to a wall... I say it's too small to read and someone replies oh, but it's more informative or some such nonsense.

I'm just stating my opinions and still don't care, but I'm ready to try an alternative at the drop of a dime..... That's the same thing that had me find Emby.

From now on, all book pages will flip vertically!

pwhodges
3 minutes ago, Ollio said:

I'm ready to try an alternative at the drop of a dime.....

You're free to, and no one will mind.  If another system suits you better overall, go for it!

Paul

• Agree 1

Happy2Play

Well I can suggest toning it down or get a warning for being abusive to others.

To me if the Roku was ever different then it was wrong.  The web client has always been the way the Roku is now.

Edited by Happy2Play

pwhodges
14 minutes ago, Ollio said:

From now on, all book pages will flip vertically!

Oh, and I recently came across a pamphlet in which successive openings were printed alternately in portrait and landscape orientations, so in effect the pages flipped horizontally and vertically in turn!

Be careful what you wish for (even joking)...

Paul

• Haha 1

My dad owned a printing company and once every couple of years someone would come in and do something like that.

You would even have people wanting ENGLISH books starting on page 273 and working backward to page 1 so you have to starting reading from the back of the book forward (right page then left).  Just dumb and a "mother" to layout properly, print, collate and bind.  Then you get the smucks who want one page upside down so you have to keep spinning the book as you read it.  What people don't try to be different. LOL

On 4/20/2021 at 6:30 PM, Luke said:

Are you saying the text size should be larger?

Yes, larger. And even the picture. And there are 2 reasons I'd like that. One is simply to be able to read it without moving up to the TV. The other is aesthetics. The purpose of reading these listings is the same as SUGGESTION mode - to read a description as if that episode was you're all time favorite. Not a dull link to click, which defeats what Emby is. The horizontal had it's own detail window for the text making it look like a nice ad for the episode.... Vertical, horizontal doesn't matter so spare me the redirection of talking about vertical being more informative and how Roku has limited memory. I don't like how it looks.

29 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Well I can suggest toning it down or get a warning for being abusive to others.

To me if the Roku was ever different then it was wrong.  The web client has always been the way the Roku is now.

Just tell me you're speaking to me.

Happy2Play
Just now, Ollio said:

Just tell me you're speaking to me.

Yes it was directed at you.

1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

Yes it was directed at you.

Good for you, now stick that up your ass along with that abusive asshole that pretends to be smart. Don't worry about it, I'm off here.

Guess we can close up this thread. The OP has gone off on some tangent that even calculus can't determine plot points of.

You can't protect someone from themselves. Not sure what asking for help and attacking the help is accomplish.

Maybe you wanted to see how far the rabbit hole goes? It goes all the way to Wonderland.

• Like 2

explor202
42 minutes ago, speechles said:

Not sure what asking for help and attacking the help is accomplish.

No offense, but I'm not sure telling us to drink the Kool-Aid is really help...

No one is suggesting anyone drink the Kool-Aid but are looking for constructive criticism (not attacks).
Nothing said was targeted to you @explor202 so don't think that.

10 minutes ago, explor202 said:

No offense, but I'm not sure telling us to drink the Kool-Aid is really help...

I am the one asking what can we do better? Was it larger text? Larger images? Why can't we have both a purposeful view with larger text and larger images. I am on your side.

Not sure where the "Drink the Kool-aid" comment came from. Why bring up the Jones Town massacre? That damn People's Temple old church in Redwood Valley is mere miles from here. It came from some lunatic telling others what to do.

We are not lunatics. We are trying to understand what steps to take without having to take several. That is all. There is no conspiracy to force you to do anything. You have free will.

Just larger text? It was called "ugly" and what makes it ugly? Is it that big white frame around it and the clumsy way it is spaced out all square-ish? Is that it? Without knowing why someone calls it ugly you can just wonder.

Edited by speechles

explor202

It's ugly because it doesn't match the rest of the smooth flowing UI of Emby (or even Roku, HBO, and most others for that matter). All of the other sections of the libraries are nicely sized rectangles with perfectly visible images that scroll nicely left to right. Then all of a sudden episodes are these hideously elongated, horizontal sections that just don't blend with the rest of Emby.

And my reference to "drink the Kool-Aid" ties into my earlier comment about stop telling me to jump on the bandwagon and that I'll get used to it. That basically says Emby and the Devs are telling me and everyone else that doesn't like this to conform and bow to peer pressure, and just accept the change. And while I'm not against change when it's good, this is one that just doesn't make any sense so I refuse to accept it.

I never said to get used to it. That isn't something I tend to ever say. I like to go extravagant and go big or go home...

I said it occurred because it is consistency. Not because of anything else. It was time. When something people do not like happens on one platform or another we have these conversations. In this way all the other applications (where no one complained ever) will get changed too, because they complained on Roku. We must assume the other platforms are more comfortable with whatever happens. They just roll with it. We must assume Roku users are more vocal. You change things in this area and it sparks immediate concern. This means Roku users might be more keen to design decisions and help out better than other platforms. Maybe?

That is what we want. We want to know when we make a missed step and treat it like such. Then you can have your Team better understand what was meant when this change was first put forth in this original condition. We kind of thought we might hear these exact comments already coming.

We want users to give us feedback on how they would like this to be. Some will say just leave it the way it was and if we did that nothing new would ever evolve. Just like the Pokemon in the game evolve the application must to stay relevant. The entire reason things change is relevance. You have to use the modern things everyone else does or people think you are stuck in the past and no longer relevant.

Happy2Play

The majority of users have requested unification across all app/clients and that is what is happening.  Personally if I could remove horizontal scrolling from everywhere I would.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Gilgamesh_48
5 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

The majority of users have requested unification across all app/clients and that is what is happening.  Personally if I could remove horizontal scrolling from everywhere I would.

I do not believe that. I believe that some developers wanted it that way and they started saying that a majority" requested it.

Personally, I do not want "everything the same" as that limits every app to the abilities of the dumbest one. However, I there is nothing I see in this thread that limits anything.

As you know I can be as abrasive as anyone but this is one thread I really do not understand at all.

9 hours ago, explor202 said:

No, that was more aimed at a few comments by @cayars

Sorry it was not my intent to say "get used to it".  I was suggesting to try it on other device platforms, if possible, to see what the potential is.

You may or may not like the other platforms direction but would understand the app unification better that way. That could help anyone understand some of the comments made when you've seen them used in other apps.

Hope that makes sense.

explor202
On 4/22/2021 at 6:08 AM, cayars said:

I was suggesting to try it on other device platforms,

I use Emby only on  a Roku, nothing else.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, explor202 said:

I use Emby only on  a Roku, nothing else.

Understood,  you could take a look using the web interface but of course that's setup for desktop view but still shows how much of this works.