[Android app]nuVue - your media server sidekick

rwhapham

rwhapham

Hi Rob.

Not sure when you're back, so I'll post this for when you return.

I don't get any notifications when outside my local LAN.

As soon as I get home though, I get notifications.

Any idea please?

Thanks.

PS. @@MrWebsmith - you use this app don't you? Do you get notifications when away from your local LAN?

If all is set up on your MB server properly, it shouldn't matter if you connect locally or remotely when signing in via nuVue. One it discovers the server, both the local and remote (WAN) addresses are reported by MB. On the web dashboard main page, is there a remote/WAN address shown?

CBers

Hi Rob.

Hope you had a good holiday.

Yes, the Dashboard does show the external address. I don't have my DDNS address set within the Dashboard though.

I have "fixed" it though, by logging out and logging in via 3G. That asked for server address, for which I entered my DDNS address.

Would it be possible to have the app show stored connection details, with the option to manually update?

Thanks.

Edited by CBers

rwhapham

Hi Rob.

Hope you had a good holiday.

Yes, the Dashboard does show the external address. I don't have my DDNS address set within the Dashboard though.

I have "fixed" it though, by logging out and logging in via 3G. That asked for server address, for which I entered my DDNS address.

Would it be possible to have the app show stored connection details, with the option to manually update?

Thanks.

If your external IP address tends to change, then I would suggest setting up the DDNS address in your MB server settings.  The address you enter into nuVue is used only to establish the initial connection, get user information, sign in, and get some server info.  Among the data retrieved from the server are its local and WAN addresses--the address you may have entered into nuVue is not used anymore.  I'm not really inclined to allow the user to manually update addresses as I would like to keep the setup and easy and painless as possible.  Given that you can only be connected one way at a time (either via local address or via WAN address),  I would only be able to validate one address at a time.  Since MB reports both addresses, I'd rather just use those values.

CBers

I'd never entered any server address into nuVue until the other day, then it was my DDNS address. I was under the impression that it grabbed the details from the server from the initial connection, but it appears not to be the case.

As a test, I cleared the app data on my phone last night and restarted the app, and it connected straight away and grabbed the users etc.

When I turned wifi off on my phone, so as to use 3G, the app couldn't find anything, so presented me with the server address dialog.

As soon as I entered my DDNS address, it connected again and grabbed the users etc.

So, I don't believe the app is storing the WAN address when connected to the local LAN.

rwhapham

I'd never entered any server address into nuVue until the other day, then it was my DDNS address. I was under the impression that it grabbed the details from the server from the initial connection, but it appears not to be the case.

As a test, I cleared the app data on my phone last night and restarted the app, and it connected straight away and grabbed the users etc.

When I turned wifi off on my phone, so as to use 3G, the app couldn't find anything, so presented me with the server address dialog.

As soon as I entered my DDNS address, it connected again and grabbed the users etc.

So, I don't believe the app is storing the WAN address when connected to the local LAN.

Because the MB server supports auto-discovery via a broadcast message, when you are connected via WiFi and sign in, nuVue will first attempt to get the server to identify itself.  If either no response is received, or if your device is no connected via WiFi, nuVue will present the dialog allowing you to enter a server address.  The address you enter is used only to discover the server, fetch the user list, sign in, and get the server information.  The information that is stored for the server comes from http://servername:port/mediabrowser/System/Info/Public. The local address comes from the 'LocalAddress' JSON field, and the remote address comes from the 'WanAddress' JSON field.  This information is the same regardless of whether you are connected to the MB server locally or remotely.  If you are familiar with using the SQLite Editor app on your device, I can help you see where the data is stored.  You can also go to the System/Info/Public URL in your browser to see the data MB is returning.

Once the information has been retrieved, it is not requested again unless you sign out and sign back in.  So, under normal operations, when the periodic scan runs, if your device is connected via WiFi, it will first try the local address.  If that fails (either because your local server is down, or because you are actually remote even though connected to the network via WiFi), then the app attempts connection via the remote address that was reported by MB.  You should never see a dialog to enter your server address except when signing in for the first time remotely.

Edited by rwhapham

CBers

From that that URL I am seeing:

Local Address

http://192.168.1.140:8096

Wan Address

http://xx.xx.xx.xx:8096

Server Name

MEDIASERVER-3

Version

Id

d489309ca5ff4d9b9448915d6b7cdc9e

I'm confused as to why I wasn't getting any notifications when connecting remotely (3G or someone else's WiFi).

That was why I cleared data and forced it to prompt me with the server address dialog.

I've just cleared data again, whilst at home, and conncected via wifi. It connects fine and I can log in.

I have turned off wifi, forcing it to connect via 3G and it did.

OK, let's leave it as it for the time being and if I have any further issues, I'll be in touch.

Thanks again Rob.

rwhapham

nuVue 1.4.2 is rolling out. This update adds the ability to set your notification grouping separate from your media list grouping. So now you can have the app show your media organized by type, but only receive a single notification no matter what is added.  Look for the update soon.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
rwhapham

Material. Everyone else is doing it, so why not? Coming soon...

material.png

• Like 4

hoxtonia

Essential..... Great update Rob - really is looking very slick and the now watching functionality is great for my android users - my iOS users are very jealous!

• Like 1

rwhapham
You ask, we deliver. nuVue 2.3 is out and includes several features suggested by you, our loyal users. Keep the requests coming.

• NEW: Manual refresh mode for What's Playing
  • NEW: Filter What's Playing monitoring by user (including self)
  • NEW: Choose days to deliver forwarded notifications on
  • NEW: Forward notifications to self
  • UPDATE: Improved error reporting for background scans
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
rwhapham

Price drop - the Pay-It-Forward in-app-purchase that allows your shared only users to use nuVue Shared for free PLUS allows you to forward notifications via email to any and all of your shared users (including yourself) is now only $3.99 USD!

Edited by rwhapham

• 1 month later...
rwhapham

nuVue 2.3.3 is out. In addition fixing some lingering bugs and crashes, we've added support for music in What's Playing plus transcode/play state indicators. Enjoy.

• Like 3

hoxtonia

Thanks Rob - appreciate the adding of the transcode/playstate indicators - this keeps getting better and better!

• 1 month later...
rwhapham

Yes, we admit it has been all quiet on the nuVue front lately, which means its time to do some crowdsourced brainstorming. What do you want to see next in nuVue? What feature would make you say, "now THAT'S cool"? What would make it the perfect companion for your Plex or Emby setup? Share your ideas, no matter how pie-in-the-sky.

hoxtonia

Well being able to add a movie or tv show to favourites straight from the rich notification would be my number one request

Followed by support for the kindle fire hd

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Edited by hoxtonia